Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Flip Out Or Forget It? - Someone copies your wedding

Joey, on August 26, 2019 at 09:13 Posted in Before the wedding 0 27

You've been hiring vendors, choosing color schemes, ordering BM/GM outfits, finalizing your decor style... when you hear that a friend or relative who is also planning their wedding is going to do the same thing as you! They definitely knew you'd chosen that idea first.

Flip Out! There are so many different dates, colors, themes, venues, and ways to do a wedding, and you picked yours first. Someone is bound to notice the similarities, and that's not ok because you put a lot of effort into your planning already. They need to change their choice.

Forget It! Who cares, a color is just a color, a dress is just a dress, a first dance song is just a song. It's either a crazy coincidence, or it's flattering that they think you have such great taste. You can always change your plan if you want to be different.

Flip Out Or Forget It? - Someone copies your wedding 1

Photo from Pinterest

>>Click here to go to the next question, Someone wants to swap their plus one

>>Or start at the beginning here: Flip Out or Forget It? round 2

27 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on October 2, 2019 at 01:30
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. It's a real form of flattery if someone wanted to copy my wedding.

• Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it! My sister recently told me she may get married next year like me, a few months before. I’m just brushing it off because I don’t think she will actually do it, but luckily my mom said something to her along the lines of giving it enough time before mine because it wouldn’t be fair 😅
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it!

Any way that I can help anyone else that is getting married sounds ideal to me! I've received so much help from so many wonderful people, including donations from friends and family of leftover/extra decor from their own weddings/events! I'm happy to do anything I can to pay it forward as well!

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. If I care enough not to get copied I won't share the information... And if they do it a year or so later I could care less.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would forget it. Most of the things I've decided on have come from pinterest. I think I'd be annoyed if I walked into something that looked exactly like my wedding though....
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would forget it. It wouldn't make me love mine less.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I would be flattered that they dig my style and planning. It's kinda sad that they don't have their own taste but oh well.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Flip out (but not to their face) LOL Its so annoying..

no one has copied my wedding or had the same dress or anything but even the fact that people were asking what colour the bridal party is so they can match made me pretty upset st times. please just show up in whatever you want to wear, don't try to match if you aren't part of the party

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. Most of the guests would be different anyway. Plus, I would’ve tried to sell them my stuff!
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would love it if our little wedding was copied! I think it will be awesome, I would totally understand if someone else thought it was awesome and did it, too. I would just be happy for them!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There wasn't a chance that a small gay wedding can be the same as décor was limited and simple. Barely any décor was done since the venue had a lot of the open land show through the glass and sunshine in the evening looking beautiful. The centerpieces lit up bright and vibrant colour gels giving the room its spectacular light.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. We've picked a popular colour scheme and theme so it's bound to be copied in some way. The only thing I'd be cheesed about would be copying my dress.

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would pretend to forget it, but deep down I would be flipping out lol

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. There are only so many colours in the rainbow and there have been many takes on the theme my fiancee and I picked. If they started askin me for all our decorations and invitation patterns I DIYed from scratch, then they are getting told where to go. :-P

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha I love this, cause yours will be better.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldnt care!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It would depend on what and how much was copied - I think I have many unique elements already so I'd probably forget it, plus I get 99% of my inspiration from pinterest, so technically, I am copying from others lol. Also there is a finite amount of colours, dresses, songs, etc.

However, if a cousin/family/close friend copied a good portion of my wedding, I'd probably flip out, especially if they knew about my vision plans.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it, it means I have good ideas. Plus, with social media sharing no matter how original you think an idea is, someone somewhere on Pinterest has done it before.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it, if my wedding gets copied it means I have good taste? lol

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it - The only people who would truly notice are going to be the bride and groom of both parties. You can have the same "theme", but the execution and the vibe will be totally different because your guests will be different.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would flip - but only to my FH and best friends; i wouldn’t make a huge issue.
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would forget it. Every wedding is different regardless of having the same theme or colours.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would flip out for sure, if it was a carbon copy. I mean I do think there a million colors to choose from so it is annoying if someone picks the same color but a lot can be done differently with colors.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. I mean it would depend how close the person is, and what exactly was copied. At the end of the day we would have different things that would be unique to us
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Flip out at first - my FH's cousin's wedding this past July is the same colours (teal and plum).... but my wedding will be better! So forget about it! Plus their accent colour was gold and mine is copper. Theirs was a Summer wedding and ours is a Fall wedding. And.... mine will be better... like I said before...

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Flipped out already- someone did this few months prior to wedding and feel dissapointed but its still different and our wedding. I didnt say anything to her though lol just to fh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics