Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Flip Out Or Forget It? - People asking if they can be invited

Joey, on August 26, 2019 at 09:13 Posted in Before the wedding 0 21

You're barely used to using the word "fiance(e)", you may not even have a wedding date chosen yet, and already people are asking you where their invitation is, or talking about what they are going to wear, or requesting what songs you just have to play at the reception... You don't even know if you want to invite them, much less if you have space or budget for them!

Flip Out! This is ruuuuude. You are in charge of your guest list and putting pressure on you to wrangle an invite is a big etiquette faux pas.

Forget It! They're just excited. If you can invite them, great. If you can't, that's your prerogative and they'll have to accept that.

Flip Out Or Forget It? - People asking if they can be invited 1

Photo from Pinterest

>>Click here to go to the next question, Someone dropping out of the wedding party

>>Or start at the beginning here: Flip Out or Forget It? round 2

21 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on October 2, 2019 at 01:29
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I was posed with this question, I wouldn't let it bother me. I honestly only got a couple of people who assumed they were invited (who weren't), and I never had to confront them.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it! I made very clear from the start that my space was going to be very limited. If I had my way, literally everyone I know would be coming, but my family is huge and they come first. All of my friends have been very understanding of this, and I honestly haven't minded people asking to come or what-have-you.

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. It's awkward, but I feel that people understand if they're not invited. Weddings are expensive.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don't sweat it. If you can't invite someone and you think they will be offended there is always the excuse of limited space/money.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

... forget it. I had this stuff happen all the time, but it was mostly from my grandmother who I know was just very excited.. still annoying tho!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. I had one person ask and she laughed right away and so I laughed with her.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Intentionally I hadn't invited some of my co workers from the same store I worked for at the time, at a different location. They were shown the invitation thinking she was invited and spontaneously said yes. Towards the time nearing, she declined due to not being able to leave the store. Though it wasn't meant to be, it was still ok for me to say yes no matter what knowing her for a long time.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Probably forget it. It's irritating but not the end of the world.

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. If I have space for them and they want to be there I'll see what I can do, but my numbers are really strict.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. It's awkward and annoying. At first, I just said we hadn't made the guest list yet (which was the truth) and now I just straight up say the venue only allowed a limited number of people and apologize and directly move to another topic. Shut that sucker down.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. No point getting annoyed. I'm happy they want to be part of our day
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd forget it - while it is annoying to be asking if someone is invited, they are probably just excited and want to celebrate on our day!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. Yes it can be awkward and annoying if they are not actually on your guest list, but it’s somewhat of a compliment for them to want to come to the wedding.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it, I don't think I can get mad or annoyed at someone for wanting to come to the wedding.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it - They are just excited, which is normal.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it! i’ve definitely dealt with this already, and it’s awkward but i just can’t be bothered to deal with it. there is one person who continues to push my buttons (who won’t be invited) who might need to be told eventually, but so far i’ve managed to keep it together
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it! This happened a few times and I had to tell them I was only have a very small, intimate wedding and my guest list had to be kept under 30 lol
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would forget it as well. They are just excited but you can only invite so many people.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. Great that they want to be invited, but no point making it a huge deal. We have the final say in the end
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it- I have already had this and dealt with it nicely.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. They have no say if they are invited and I will not be made to feel guilty if they aren't.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics