Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Flip Out Or Forget It? - Guests who don't give gifts

Joey, on January 14, 2019 at 09:17 Posted in WeddingWire 0 28

How do you feel about guests who don't give a gift or even a card? Does this make you flip out? Or are you able to forget it?

Flip Out! Weddings are gift giving occasions, it’s very bad etiquette to not give anything. And what if they did give something but it was lost somehow - do you risk an awkward conversation by saying something? Talk about pressure!

Forget It! You may not know everything about their circumstances, and it probably isn't personal. You didn’t invite them to get something from them - their presence is enough.

Flip Out Or Forget It? - Guests who don't give gifts 1

Photo by Designed With Love

>>Click here to go to the next question, Strippers at the bachelor(ette) party

>>Or start at the beginning here: Flip Out or Forget It?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Meaghan, on August 27, 2019 at 16:36
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No guests for us but... gifts are never required! This isn't a transaction, it's a celebration!
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You hit the nail on the head. I agree and second your forget it.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it, I am not at all worried about gifts. Majority of my guests are coming from out of town so I don't expect anything.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. I'd be cheesed but could get over it.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. I literally just want to celebrate with everyone I love.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it! I mean, I'll never forget it, but I definitely wouldn't be impressed tbh.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it! There’s no expectation of anyone to bring gifts
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

FORGET IT! Honestly I would be shocked if anyone said Flip Out.....

Gifts are a GIFT! They shouldn't be EXPECTED because then it becomes a payment!

I want you there to enjoy my day! If you want to give a gift I beyond appreciate it! Or if not, like I have absolutely no right to cause a stink over it! Nor would I! My friends coming together to celebrate my love and marriage is all the gifts I need!

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. Is it rude? yes, but I wouldn't risk a terrible conversation over something that might seem trivial compared to the rest of the day. I'd probably just remember it for any other events in the future.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. We invited them because we wanted to celebrate with them, not because we wanted a gift! I went through my guest list recently to send thank Yous and discovered a few people didn’t get us a gift. I still sent a thank you. I’m going to remember who was there, not what gifts we got.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I realize not everyone can afford to go to wedding's just because invited. I have traveled far for weddings and did all the pre wedding bridal showers. If I went to yours I would expect it. If you can't give a gift you can still give a card with your best wishes inside.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A little flip out. I know everyone's situation is different, and I don't EXPECT gifts (or cash, as we are 'registered' with our honeymoon)... however even someone who can't afford to give a gift can afford a dollar store wedding card where they may thank you for inviting them and give you some 'best wishes'...

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it : You shouldn't be planning a wedding to get gifts haha.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. We are asking for no gift for our wedding. Yes, cards will be nice, but I'm also okay with just an in person congrats!

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Flip out a little... I don't care if you don't get us a gift but it doesn't take much effort or money to give someone a card.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it, it might hurt that they didn't even try but their presence is fine with me!

• Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it! Obviously it’s nice to get things but you don’t know what situation people are in. I’m not expecting people to give us gifts. On our wedding website we included a small “registry” button with a link but didn’t make a big deal about it.
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it. It's extremely rude but honestly whatever. If you're expecting a gift so much so that you would be mad if you didn't get one, its not truly a gift then.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Flip out. Giving a gift is just standard practice and anyone who doesn't is rude beyond description. Even if it's just a card and a five dollar bottle of wine.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really hope it'll be 'forget it', but I know in the moment it might be a bit hurtful not to get a gift from a friend. That said - I'm really sure it would be a 'forget it'.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. The point of your wedding is not for gifts. It’s for people to celebrate your marriage with you. You chose to get married, you chose to pay for everyone’s dinner. You shouldn’t expect people to give you a gift because of that
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. Some people don’t have the money and it seems rude and childish to throw a fit about someone not getting you a gift. Having a weeding is not about getting gifts.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. who cares? that’s not the point
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd be peeved as that seems incredibly rude and cheap. Personally, I wouldn't go to a wedding if I knew I didn't have the finances to be able to bring a gift to the wedding. If the person let me know upon being invited that they are tight financially then that's one thing (and I'd be more understanding then).

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget it.

I am already preparing for a couple family members to give small, and when I mean small I mean like $100 for 8 people. It's understandable, just at least get us a card and write something nice in it!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it. We are actually asking for no gifts so I'll actually flip out if a guest ignores that and gets us a gift. We live in BC and the wedding is in Ontario, we can't bring gifts back on the plane. I will actually send the gift back home with the guest.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forget it.

BUT I would never be that guest.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would just forget it, you're going to have people like that no matter what! It could be because they aren't financially able to - but if they aren't then you just have to take note of that for theirs Smiley tongue

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics