Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Darlene
Curious September 2021 Ontario

First Look

Darlene, on February 20, 2021 at 17:33 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16
I’m torn on whether I want to do a first look. My photographer suggested it and has gotten so many amazing photos. My soon to be husband is very much on board. It would be nice to have that intimate moment with just the 2 of us. I also like the tradition aspect of seeing each other when I walk down the isle.
I don’t know what to do. What are your thoughts? What’s everyone else doing?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on February 28, 2021 at 17:01
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did have our first look pictures as I had to help my husband into his pants for the outfit not knowing how tie Indian pants. We knew what we were wearing as he saw my outfit and I chose the accessories to match the outfit he liked. We didn't have pictures as a couple together though it was at the ceremony itself. Its the now thing even for Indian weddings taking place. We did have getting ready shots with each family separately and wedding party.
  • Marie
    Beginner June 2021 Ontario
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was a little torn about this at first too but we decided we want to do a first look. We like the idea of having a special moment to ourselves before the ceremony without all our guests eyes on us, and we also liked the idea of getting our couple photos, bridedmaid/groomsmen and immediate family photos out of the way before the ceremony so we could all just relax and enjoy time with our guests after the ceremony.
  • Rachel
    Frequent user September 2022 Alberta
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    While I like the idea of walking down the aisle and seeing his reaction, I think for both of us it will calm our nerves to have a first look. I also think it adds a moment and element of intimacy to a day where you are both largely on display.
  • Colleen
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Colleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a first look. I personally feel that this will help my fiancé and I have less jitters when it actually comes to the ceremony. By doing the first look we can have that special moment where we can freak out together that we are actually about to get married (I’m sure some great pictures will be the result lol). Then when I walk down the aisle he will be able to take everything in, and not feel like he’s going to pass out with anticipation 😂

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancee and I are opting to not have a first look. We want the first moment of me and the guests seeing her dress to be coming down the aisle. Plus, we'll already be at the venue for family-based pre-ceremony functions so we didn't want to have them sit around doing nothing while we run off for pictures.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were originally supposed to get married late in the day so we agreed to do a first look so we could get some photos done during the daylight. We got some gorgeous photos in a wonderful space and it definitely didn’t take away from the aisle moment. It still felt amazing as if I hadn’t seen her before that moment.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a first look. Neither of us particularly cared whether we saw each other before the ceremony and it just made more sense for us to have our photographs taken before the ceremony. We also both got ready at home due to COVID and drove to the ceremony location together so this was more practical. We ended up having our photographer meet us at our condo and did our first look on our building’s rooftop patio. I love the photos and I also really like that we got to have that moment just the two of us.
    I think you should consider a few things when deciding on a first look vs traditional not seeing each other before the ceremony. First is whether either has any significant meaning to either of you. If yes then I think that’s your answer. If you don’t have a preference then think about what’s most practical. If you have an early ceremony you probably don’t want to wake up even earlier than planned to get your photos done beforehand. Similarly if your ceremony is quite late you may not have a lot of daylight to take photos after the ceremony. With COVID it also might just make the most sense to travel to the ceremony together to reduce who you’re in close contact with.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you 🥰
  • Darlene
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Darlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They are beautiful photos. You both look great!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a first look! I love the first look photos. My Fiancé is not a fan of large groups of people so I think it will be nice to have to have some time together before the ceremony. I want to fit in as much alone time as possible and a first look will help. It will also help the timeline be more smooth!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I aren't doing a first look. First look will be me walking down the aisle to him

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since our wedding will be in January and we won't have much natural light we decided we will do a first look. I want to hire a horse drawn carriage for some winter wonderland pictures before the wedding. I also hope to get any immediate family and wedding party pictures done before the wedding as well. We are planning on doing most of pictures before the ceremony then we will be with our guests for the cocktail hour and ease into dinner without having to leave. If any guests want to snap a picture on their phones during cocktail hour we will be free for that.
  • Patricia
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a first look. My photographer says she has done first looks so many times and walking down the aisle still is very special and brings all the emotions! I’ve also seen suggestions of not writing veil for first look (if you’re wearing one) and keep that for the ceremony!!
  • Christine
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm so torn on this as well! My fiancé isn't convinced (yet lol) that we should do a first look, but I absolutely love the idea. We've still got over a year to go, so there's time to decide. I think the first look is such a wonderful moment to have together, just the two of us. Plus it doesn't hurt that it gives us extra photos ;-)
  • Sarah
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was torn as well but have decided to go for a first look. My future sister in law convinced me when she pointed out that the reaction I wanted from walking down the aisle was going to happen no matter what the first time my soon to be husband sees me. The more I thought about it the more I realized that having that moment be just between us was actually incredibly special. It’s our little moment, a moment when we can both just be together and take it all in without all the eyes on us. So many people that I have talked to have also said that even when I appear at the top of the aisle, my soon to be husband will react whether he has seen me already or not... it’s the “this is it” moment, “I’m marrying my best friend”!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our first look photos are some of my favorites! We got a few moments together and it took away the stress of needing to arrive at the venue separately.

I did a first look for my parents, and then our photographer stashed me away while my soon to be husband arrived. She also snapped a photo of my bridesmaids sneaking a peek at the sneak peek, and they are hecking adorable.
    First Look 1
    First Look 2
    First Look 3

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics