Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Haley
Newbie September 2020 British Columbia

First Look?

Haley, on March 15, 2019 at 20:02 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 22
I've always loved the idea of my husband-to-be seeing me for the first time on our wedding day as I walk down the aisle and never understood why people would want to do a 'first look.' However I find myself really liking the photos from the first look! What're your opinions on this and did you/are you doing the first look before your ceremony? It's something I need more info on for sure!

22 Comments

Latest activity by Shannon, on August 20, 2019 at 17:33
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are not doing a first look. Its mostly I that wants to do this. To me, this is the best part, real raw emotions. That's what I'd like our 2 photographers to capture. I'm more traditional in that case.
    As far as emotions and anxiety are concern, this is natural feeling and part of getting married. I personally can not wait to see my FH fist look as I stand nervously at the opposite end.
  • Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a first look. I love the intimate part of the first look before the aisle, which is in front of everyone... I like that I get to see her before anyone else does and fall in love all over again. We are doing our "first look" at the airbnb before the ceremony.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I might have an unpopular opinion : I find first look pictures to be too "staged" -- The bride walking up behind him, the bride extending her arm to his shoulder, him turning around and his expression, the bride crying.

A friend of mine just got married and to avoid any extra anxiety on their special day, they decided to get ready together. So they had a quiet breakfast together, got ready together and had pictures taken of them helping each other out (him with her dress, her with his suit). She said it helped set the tone for the rest of the day, which I admired!

My FH's only request was to see me in full gear for the first time when I'm walking down the aisle. I found him so cute when he asked that I just couldn't refuse.

• Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh my goodnesss I’m so torn after reading everyone’s opinion on this post! 😬 I’m thinking maybe a first touch instead as some ladies suggested... hmmm so torn😅
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had two photographers so they were able to capture each of our expressions when we saw each other for the first time. Would have not been possible to do with one photographer.

We did a first touch (held hands around a corner). It was nice to have a moment together before the ceremony, and it built up the anticipation a little more. I had seen him in his tux when he picked it up, but he didn't know anything about my look (even when I went for my hair trial, I made up an excuse not to see him that day!)

My friend did a first look and they were able to get most of their photos done beforehand. What was nice for them was that their wedding was half an hour away from where they wanted to get pictures. They were able to do those pictures without making their guests wait that extra time.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm with you - I love the pictures, but we aren't doing it. I am so traditional in some ways and I want that first look to be as I am walking down the aisle.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The reason behind my first look was I'm not patient enough to wait that long and I have anxiety to crowds. Need to see him before and want to make sure he is doing okay too. my mind wanders and just need to know all is fine.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Me and my FH will be doing a first look for our wedding. Our reasoning is A) we only have one photographer so if our first look was walking down the aisle we would only be able to get a picture of one of our reactions vs. both of our reactions in a first look. B) we are getting married Oct. 5th so sun isn't going to last forever and C) this allows us to get all of the family photo's and wedding party photo's out of the way and then be able to skip cocktail hour all together!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was in the same boat where I loved the photos of the first look but always wanted it to be when I come down the aisle. Eventually we went with our initial wish of doing it during the ceremony with everyone.
    We liked that our family would get to see our reactions to each other and felt it would bring more intimacy to our ceremony for us. Plus the traditional side of us just couldn’t let go of the idea Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a first touch. Neither of us wanted to do a first look. But, with the first look, you can get the majority of the photos out of the way before. You can talk to each other and say how wonderful the other person looks. With the first look down the aisle, at least for us, the pastor started talking right away, so we didn’t have a moment to ourselves. Most of the day it’s hard to get a moment just the two of you, so plan that if you don’t do a first look!
    I also had a friend who did the first look and her husband still cried when she walked down the aisle, so it doesn’t necessarily take all the emotion out of it!
  • Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree that the pictures from a first look are awesome, but I also would like the true first look to be down the aisle! We are going to have the photographer take pictures of Matt when he first sees me. Smiley smile It seems like the best idea to me!
  • Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never thought I wanted to do a first look, however my FH really wants to do one. It took a while but now I'm coming around to the idea. He hasn't been vocal about many things involving the wedding, except this (and the venue). The one plus side to the first look is that we can do wedding party photos prior to the ceremony, leaving only family photos for after, so we can get to our reception quicker!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like the idea of the first touch! We're not doing a first look either since I don't want him to see me until I walk down the aisle, but I love the idea behind first look (having an intimate moment with the FH before the ceremony).

A first touch sounds like a happy medium!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the idea of doing a first look because it’s a special moment between just the two of you! I know me, and I’d probably either be stone cold or crying A LOT walking down the aisle if we don’t have a first look (my emotions really do get the best of me), so I’m team first look so that there’s no pressure.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel the same way! instead of a first look, my FH and i will be writing letters to each other that our photographer will exchange for us on the morning of the wedding. he’s going
    to get pictures of us both reading the letters, but without being able to see each other, for example on either side of a door, etc. then our “first look” will be me coming down the aisle
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree! I absolutely love the first look photos but we both wanted to have our first moment as we walk down the aisle! We want all of that love and emotion with us right when we say I Do!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I agreed it's a very important moment when he sees me walking down the aisle. So we are doing a "first touch" instead. He will be either blind folded or behind a door and we will be able to hold hands and talk a little before the ceremony. It'll help us with our nerves of being in front of everyone and hopefully help with some of the emotions too. I'm definitely going to be a sobbing mess so I hope I can get it out a bit before the ceremony!
  • L
    Frequent user February 2020 Ontario
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always pictured my FH seeing me for the first time walking down the aisle, BUT I do love the first look photos. We are having a 7pm ceremony therefore like some of the others on here we will be doing our photos before the wedding itself in order to not hold up the entire process for our guests.
    I'm actually excited for the first look with just him and I as I feel it may be more genuine. With it just being the two of us present for it I feel like we both may show our emotions more than if we were in front of all of our family and friends trying to hold back!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was totally against it. But due to the logistics of our wedding and doing the ceremony later (5:30) we decided a first look is better for us. Now I’m super excited for the first look. And I can be emotional, so if I cry at least it will be a special moment for the two of us
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not doing it! Like you, I can only imagine my FH seeing me for the first time coming down the aisle. I think it’s such a special moment.

I wont see my FH the day of the wedding until I walk down the aisle. I can’t wait for that nervous / anxious feeling to see him!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a first look! Mainly because we wanted a later ceremony (5pm) and our cocktail hour/ reception is right after. We wanted to have more time for pictures! So we are doing a first look and then some wedding party pictures before! Plus we only have to rent one limo which saves a bit of money as well!
    I personally love the first look moment because it gives you that private moment before everything gets busy
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was the opposite! Always wanted to do a 'first look', but my FH veto'd it pretty much right away.

He wants the dress, hair, makeup and the whole deal to be a 'surprise', and see me for the first time when I walk down the aisle. We told our photographer, so that she can get a shot of his reaction when he sees me! Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics