Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

First Date Stories

Hank, on December 31, 2020 at 09:09 Posted in Before the wedding 0 17

It's the last day of 2020 so let's send it off with a good first memory: your first date with your fiance/e.

We met online and talked over messages for about two weeks or so before I asked my now fiancee out to a cafe/bakery. Originally wanted to keep it casual so it was intended to be a coffee/dessert date. That day was pouring crazy rain and she commuted out of the city for work, so the weather and resulting traffic on her return meant she'd arrive later than we wanted, by dinner time. So we ended up having a dinner first date! Thankfully the bakery had regular dinner food (I don't know how some of you ladies can eat cake as a meal lol).

So there I was, sitting there nervously wondering if I would get stood up haha. When she arrived, I just thought "oooh, she's so pretty" (I've seen her photo but imo, she looked better in person). We had some coffee (we're both not overly boozy people) and chatted while waiting for our food. One fun fact: to this day, she gives me flack for ordering something with onions on the plate (it was in the salad and I didn't know there would be onions.) Smiley tongue And when she questions further why I would eat said onions, I would reply "cuz my mother raised me better than to waste food" lol. Well onion mouth or not, I left a good enough impression that gave me a second date. And here we are now, still chugging coffee together six years later.

First Date Stories 1

PS I'm seeing a lot more people sign up on Wedding wire lately so welcome to those newly engaged!

17 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on March 3, 2021 at 13:01
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Speaking of wings, I'm just gonna leave this here lol

• Emily
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wish I was that person who could eat chicken wings or a messy hamburger on first dates, lol! I played it safe with a quesadilla - easy to cut into small pieces. Smiley winking

My fiance and I met at the library where I worked (don't say libraries aren't romantic). Our first date was dinner at a restaurant in the historic district of our town and a walk around the park.

Hank, I love the picture of you and your fiancee.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He was a friend of my brothers and we were both going to the same city 5 hours away on the same weekend, so my brother suggested he give me a ride. When we got back to my car at the end of the weekend, he invited me for dinner. He then waited 3 days to text me! I had just started a two-week rotation on afternoon shift, and my only day off I had a hockey game. So, he made me supper, told me he had just been fired but had an interview set up at his former company, then we went for a walk to this park that was just down the street (it wasn't! He had just moved there and remembered driving past a park, but it was further down than he remembered--not within walking distance) And then he came and watched me play hockey.

• Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I met online about 7 years ago. We chatted for a few weeks before meeting in person, which was when he picked me up after an Argos game I had been at with a friend of mine - and according to him I didn't shut up the entire way from Toronto back to Oshawa lol, but that wasn't our first date...

Our first date started out with a few games of Laser Tag, followed by dinner, and finished the night off with a few hours of karaoke lol - which is what we were doing when he proposed years later Smiley smile

• Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Aw that sounds like a lovely first date hank!
  • Olivia
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh we plan on it!! That’s exactly what the whole wedding party will be doing when we enter, whether they like it or not lol 😂
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well you and my husband may have made a mistake in the rain, but you must have done something right!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To be fair, I was also the dummy who didn't kiss my fiancee in our pouring rain storm. But then again, I did eat onions...

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did one of you at least ask to go out, or said something like "I really like you" while giggling nervously? Or was it one of those he just kissed you randomly one day and you're both like "so, guess we're boyfriend/girlfriend" lol

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do a jägerbomb shot as your toast! lol

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, what kind of restaurant is it? Do you remember what you ordered on that first date? Do you still order that to this day? hahaha

And congrats on the lasting relationship with your high school sweetheart!

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would totally order chicken wings on a first date but admittedly, I would fork and knife it lol. Though I wouldn't shy away from the hot wings. She actually said to me it was a relief I could handle spicy food because there are a few family members on her side who can't, and she feels like she always have to hold back whenever they eat together out at a communal style restaurant.

• Margaret
    Curious December 2021 Ontario
    Margaret ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met my FH when we were 16 in November 2008. We worked at a movie theatre and became friends very quickly.

We never really had a “first date” per se. We went to watch a movie on our day off and then went for sushi afterwards.
    We never made it “official”, but fast forward 12 years-- two graduations, buying our first home, travelling around the world- and we are still together 😂
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We met through friends back in 2009. Our first date was a little over a week later. We hung out a lot before we started dating. Lots of late night talks and adventures.

Our first official date was to a local wood fired pizza place (which is now our favorite restaurant). Afterwards we ended up meeting up with friends and when he dropped me off at the end of the night it absolutely poured rain, like movie rain. And the dummy didn't kiss me in that amazing rain storm...
  • Olivia
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met my fiancé at a mutual friends birthday party. We were 19 and took a limo to the bars, we did not speak at all the ride there. At the second bar, we were a couple drinks in, he had bought himself and the bday girl a jägerbomb shot, well those are my favourite so I snagged it from him. The rest of the night was spent together, we sat together in the limo aaaand I ended up going home with him. Best part is, he lived at home so the next morning I met his parents, both his sisters and their significant others. To put the cherry on top, I obviously did not plan to sleep anywhere so I woke up with full face of smeared makeup and my club dress on lmao 🤦🏼‍♀️ Six years later and everyone still brings this story up, I just know it will be mentioned at the wedding lol
  • Sara
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance was 17 and I was 15 when we met... our first date was at one of our local restaurants. Because we were so young, he didn't have a car and his dad drove us to the restaurant and picked us up afterward 😂 9 years later we still go to the same restaurant for all of our special occasions - birthdays, dating anniversaries, and usually New Years Eve!

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love that onion story!😂 I did something similar on our first date. People always say chicken wings are a no-go first date food but I have never been one of those people that cared about that kind of thing, and the saucier the better lol. After dinner FH and I took a walk and sat on top of a hill and star gazed and talked for hours. Near the end we ended up just looking at each other and just when I thought he wasn't going to make a move and about to look away he leaned in for the kiss. That night was 13.5 years ago! Crazy to think about now and realize you remember every detail lol but it just goes to show how special those moments are.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics