Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Frequent user May 2018 Ontario

First Dance timing

Stephanie, on December 1, 2017 at 13:09 Posted in Wedding reception 0 14

My fiance and i are at a cross roads about when to do the first dance. I think right when we get into the hall so that everyone can watch, and he thinks before the dance to "start the dance off" and so there won't be a lot of people watching. I've seen both at weddings so i don't know what is a "good" time. When is everyone doing theirs?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on December 19, 2017 at 08:40
  • Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing ours right after our grand entrance! That way there is no up and down from the table for me LOL!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Generally i see half and half of the first dance timing happening. My cousins did theirs before the actual party started. Our first dance was supposed to be the same. However, we were taken out for pictures that time while having dinner. I wanted my parents to see it, yet didn't happen that way. Choose what is right timing based on how the timeline. Wish you all the best. We did have a mother and sons dance which was wonderful to have my mom up there
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did our dance after dinner and speeches.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did ours after dinner, then the parents dances and then went right into dancing. Speeches were done and this was the last thing people really had to pay attention to before the dancing started!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing ours to start the dance!

I have seen it done as they first walk in, but that every time it's a choreographed piece and sometimes involves the wedding party.

• Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are also going to do our first dance after dinner to kick off the party. I have never seen the first dance happen right after the entrance, but I just personally feel it flows better and is a great lead into the party portion of the evening.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I saw one done right when they walked in but it felt so forced I found! I'd say enjoy your dinner and then have your first dance but that's just my opinion!
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same thing here. We were between having the first dance after dinner and immediately before the party starts or as soon as we get into the venue. However, the photographer would have to stay there for 2 hours while we eat and meet/greet and we did not want to pay for the extra hours.
  • Dana
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren’t really going to do a grand entrance because I personally always find those a little awkward but we are going to have our first dance just before dinner to serve as a sort of introduction for us I guess. We mainly chose this timing because we could only afford a limited number of hours with our photographer and we wanted to make sure we would get photography coverage of our first dance. If that weren’t an issue we probably would’ve chosen after dinner to start off the dance portion of the evening as well.
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing ours after our entrance. We don’t like being the centre of attention so we want to get it done early lol.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We arent doing a grand enteance to the reception so we will be doing our first dance to kick off the dance party!
  • Alexa
    Frequent user December 2017 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was really torn with this as well. I felt like we should use the momentum and excitement that comes with our entrance, and have the first dance right away when we come in. But after thinking about it we decided that the first dance is a perfect segway into the dancing portion of the evening, and I personally realized that I would feel kind of weird having that big dance moment and then sitting down to eat and listen to speeches. Whatever you feel suits your relationship and makes you feel comfortable!
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We also did ours after dinner. It was dinner, speeches, cake cutting and then we had our first dance and the dancing portion of the night began.
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing ours when the dancing starts. After supper and speeches and cake. We will have first dance, father/daughter, mother/son, bridal party, and then open dancing. There’s a couple other specific songs we plan to have, but those will be throughout the evening

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics