Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julie
Expert March 2019 Ontario

fh has not asked a Single Groomsman...

Julie, on July 23, 2018 at 13:02 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 26
I did my bridesmaid proposals a month ago and enjoyed every moment with my Girls. My FH has not asked anyone. He feels it's too early.... 8 months today. I don't want to be a nag but I can't wait to be able to check the Wedding Party Confirmed box. Any suggestions?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on July 27, 2018 at 12:43
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like hearing that I am not alone. Thank you 😀
  • Maureen
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Maureen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH was the same way!

He did eventually ask but took a lot long then i thought he would LOL

He will ask when hes ready!

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for sharing your story. I feel a little better now. You are right! I just have a need to get boxes checked on our list that he does not possess that's for sure lol
  • Casey
    Frequent user November 2018 Alberta
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Men are procrastinators- when it comes to groomsmen just check them off, nobody really says no 😉
    I accidentally told my FH bestfriend that he was going to be the bestman and I thought he would have already known and been asked... we are 3 months to wedding... so awkward... 🤣 I just rolled my eyes cause it doesn't surprise me. My brother is also a groomsman and has asked FH when they are going suit shopping so he can save up some cash - theres no answer or info there either.
    8 months is lots of time honestly, I started panicing and getting more on him around 4 months
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for sharing. Men I just don't know lol. My FH sees who will be his Best Man maybe once a month due to distance. He was here Sat night... although he was up because their Uncle passed so wasn't exactly the right time. Sounds like you'll be able to check your box very soon which is wonderful. I can't wait to check mine.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was my FH too! What is it with men?! lol He only has one more person to ask and we're seeing her in a week so I'm sure he'll ask then. But I had asked most of my party 1-3 months after getting engaged. We live far from all of our party so for some we wanted to see them in person and ask.

For you though, 8 months really isn't that far, especially if the guys are getting custom suits. I would remind your FH of that fact which may light a fire under his butt! You could also mention that it'd be good for the guys to have the heads up too so they don't book anything over your date then have to decline when your FH does ask them.

I also want to get it out of the way so I can check off that box too!!

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Emily about it taking time to order suits, but depending on what you are covering they may have to save up some money to pay for what it requires to be in the wedding party. I would just gently say to him that although he may think it’s too early it would put you at ease if he asked now so you could continue to plan. I think we asked ours about 10 months out.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm happy to hear I'm not alone. I mentioned it again last night and got a reply of we have 8 months Babe. I do think all the Guys hes asking will say yes. 2 are our Brothers but like you, I'll feel better when it's done.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That was my fiancé. He waited much longer than me. But he pointed out they knew the day and suits only take about 2-3 months even if your ordering custom suits and guys don’t need as much time. He finally asked (after me pestering him constantly) if it would make me feel better if he just went ahead and asked them already. I said yes so wishing 48hrs I got a confirmation the guys were set.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You're right. I think I need to explain all you Ladies have shared about ordering etc. Thank you.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you everyone! I agree with you all. Plus there is a Wedding tux sale we are missing out on I just found out... Great advice and I Love hearing your stories on how your FHs asked. I'll keep you posted!
  • Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance is also constantly telling me it's too early - we picked a date mine as well give our potential bridal party a heads up to ensure they don't make any other commitments that day. However - we are 19 months out! At 8 months out they should definitely be asked so that way you can get to tux ordering etc. I would subtly remind him that people need to plan and ordering suits etc. can take a long time.. months! It would be a big bummer if one of his besties was already busy Smiley sad!

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds more like him. That's great! Thanks for sharing 👰
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You need to explain to him that people need time to prepare to be part of a wedding party - financially and time-wise. He needs to ask his groomsmen ASAP.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's not too early. He should be doing that now. My FH and I asked people 11 months out (as soon as we booked the date/venue)... it kind of backfired for a couple people because things have happened since then... but if he hasn't wavered on who he's asking since the beginning, there's no reason to wait any longer.

Also, he needs groomsmen to be official so they can connect and plan his bachelor party. Also what Courtney said about planning for the added expense of being a groomsman.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would let him know 8 months isn't that early.

Typically the groomsmen need to be able to put some money aside for costs associated with the wedding, an early heads up is nice!

My husband got his suits custom made.. so they had to do that about 8 months in advance. They also planned his bachelor party about 5 months in advance as they went away for a weekend.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just tell him this is something you really want solidified! If you're open about it that it's important to you to have it done I'm sure he will!

If he doesn't want to do the whole "proposal thing" just have him do what my fiance did! Go out for a dinner with everything, grab a shot for each of the guys and ask then before swinging it back! Worked great! Got 3 of them done in 3 minutes haha!

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I’m sure he does but yes I see your point I would tell him he needs to ask right away especially if someone can’t then he can think of someone else he might want instead.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally agree. its a little awkward. For instance we've asked my Nephew and my Brothers Girlfriend and her Son but my poor Brother has no idea he's being asked. I'm sure he knows its coming but still...
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I Love it but it's a definite no. FH said he's just going to ask (not on my timeline apparently lol) and that's it. I wish!!!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s definitely not too early! Gives people a chance to save!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmmmm any chance he would be fine with something like this?

fh has not asked a Single Groomsman... 1
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think one of the biggest reasons I want him to ask is to check the box lol. Honestly it would be very nice to see my Brothers face when he asks him and just to know our Wedding party is set. I'll give him one more week and then I'm going to nag! Lol
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds so amazing! Lol men... they just want to be so simple, and us women always want to do something different and nice.

Either way, whatever works best!

I also wanted to check as much as I can off the list so I am not stressing at the end!

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awww that is so sweet and creative! My FH wants to simply ask his Friends. I made paper dolls with toe rings inside and will you be my bridesmaid cards. Took me days and days to make everything but it was worth every moment. My FH wants to just say hey buddy will you be my Groomsman. I've tried showing him options but it's a definite no go. Thank you for sharing your story. I wish I could do the same.
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I made the proposals for my FH's groomsman because he was not really into the whole thing of asking them (he is a very laid back guy and thought it was too early also as we still have over a year before our wedding). I just did something small and simple for the guys, I had stickers made from Etsy with their names and "Will you be my groomsman" that were put on a beer bottle. He liked the idea, and me being the crafty person got everything ready. We did them together with my girls as everyone in our wedding party was family, so it was pretty awesome to surprise everyone that way.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics