Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Feeling weird about hair and makeup trial

Kelly, on May 21, 2019 at 15:40 Posted in Beauty 0 9

Long post. Sorry.

So for some context, these 2 girls offer a mobile hair and makeup service. I met them when they did our hair and makeup a couple years ago for my friend's wedding. I really love how she did my hair, and I was alright with the makeup. I wasn't super particular because it wasn't my wedding.

Honestly...I have NEVER liked when people do my makeup. I never end up looking like myself, and I think its because so many makeup artists just don't know how to do makeup on redheads; our fair lashes and brows, our fair complexion....and the tiniest amount of makeup can quickly look like a ton on us...

You probably all think I'm nuts for hiring these girls if I was just "alright" with the makeup, but in my defense, it was the first time I had my makeup done where I left still feeling like I looked like me.

This past Friday, I had my trial. They did it in a room without mirrors, which I thought was weird...like, what? I'm not allowed to see what you're doing to me? So I didn't see until they were completely done. I had shown the hair stylist some inspo pics before she started, but maybe if I had seen what she was doing, I would have maybe interjected like "can we do one large braid instead of two small ones on each side?"

The hair I was decently happy with. I'd like a bit more volume on the sides, and for her to use a smaller curling barrel (the waves were gone within a couple hours).

Makeup now....I was looking in the mirror and couldn't pinpoint what was off about it, so I didn't say anything. I'm the kind of person that has to live in it for a bit to figure out whats amiss. I went home and put my dress on to see the whole look, and that's when I noticed that 1: my face was too dark. and 2: my freckles were erased.

Also, when she was doing my makeup she asked if I brought a lipstick, which I didn't....so she grabbed just something from her kit and put it on. I didn't like it; it was too dark for my complexion, and it was very sticky. She gave me some suggestions for good longwear lipsticks to look at. IS THAT NORMAL??? do I have to provide my own lipstick??

And then today, I was scrolling through facebook and they had posted pictures. Guys, it took me a solid minute to realize the pictures were me. That's not good. I didn't recognize MYSELF! Also, can we just talk about the fact that they didn't even ask my permission to post my photos? I feel extremely weird about that. I wasn't smiling or anything lol. I thought they were taking pictures for their own reference. What the actual heck!

What would you do?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Donna, on May 24, 2019 at 08:41
  • Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not one for alot of makeup someone I just met said I'll do your makeup and I said trail run first. Lisa already knows I don't wear alot, so I'm going to meet up with her and see where and what's on her mind. I wanna look awesome for Wedding and my Photos

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm nervous that my MUA will hide my freckles, when both my and my FH love them and I want to have them at the wedding!

I'd definitely bring up your concerns with your MUA and see if they will do another trial. It's a little odd they are asking you to provide your own lipstick. I'm providing my own since I have a colour and brand I love. I'm also bringing my own waterproof mascara since my eyes can't do false lashes.

I feel like they should have definitely asked if they could use your photo, since you didn't have a contract per say.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How would you feel about taking note of everything you have decided that you didn't like and doing another trial? I know it would be costly, but better than hating your make up on your wedding day.

As far as supplying your own anything - yes that is odd. my make up artist actually gives me a lip colour to keep so I can do touch ups through the day. It's a full size lip stick of whatever she puts on me on the day. You should not have to bring anything with you in terms of make up..

posting pictures... I have mixed feelings. For the most part, anyone in the service industry will use photos for their portfolios/pages etc. HOWEVER, you should have been asked or at least warned. I have never had my pictures posted without giving consent first by photographers/mua/hair stylists.. nothing. It isn't particularly wrong of her to post it, but she still should have asked you first.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's weird that there were no mirrors..kind of a red flag..
    Before I give you any advice or anything I want to address the posting of your photo.. if you signed a contract there is likely something in there giving them permission to post however if not then you have every right to tell them to take it down.

Honestly I'd fire them and hire new. I got a MUA with a month before and a hair stylist with 2 months so you still have time!
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Porcelain skin is beautiful! Like others have said, I’d speak to your mua and explain your concerns.

It sounds like a proper colour match is in order! Also, a new foundation so you still look like you!

Let us know how it goes! I’d suggest asking for another trial - I’ve seen girls say foundation is too dark and then come out looking as white as a ghost. There’s a happy medium and I pray your mua artist finds it for you!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Kelly!

Sorry your experience wasn't necessarily a positive one.

Typically, businesses are allowed to showcase their work. Should they have asked your permission first? Definitely - some people aren’t comfortable having their photos published online. If you’re uncomfortable, send them a quick message saying you’re uncomfortable having your photo online.

I just actually got a reminder from my MUA for my appointment next week for my engagement photos and right in the reminder it says for me to bring my own lipstick if I have a preference.

If it were me me I would discuss with them the issues I had with the trial and work on ways to solve the problem. Maybe see if they’ll do another trial for free to see the work adjusted with what you want.

last case scenario I’d go elsewhere but if you’re short on time MUAs might be hard to come by. They book up quick.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I should have said this in the initial post: they don't do contracts. I did ask for one, but they said they just use email threads as their agreement. I paid $50 to hold the date.

I will not be tanning for the wedding. fake or real. My skin doesn't tan very well. It burns and goes right back to pale, but with more freckles. Big sunscreen guy over here! I actually really love my porcelain skin and want to accentuate it.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes it does say something in the contract about using photo's- however.- this is normally when its professional photo's and not just the trials!! I haven't had someone take photo's of the trial and post them! I think they should have made it clear before posting. I find it really odd there was no mirrors.

I am glad the hair worked out though!

As for the makeup, I would let her know regarding how it was too dark, no freckles. the lipstick. I asked what she used as I liked it and wanted to buy one for the rest of the day. I find it very odd that you have to bring your own for the initial trial. You didn't know what colors she was doing or if the one you brought would even match the makeup. I would let her know your concerns and maybe ask for a re-trial so no surprises on wedding day.

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know most hair and mu artists have a clause in the contract saying they have the right to use any and all images for promotional material. Maybe read over the contract.

As for the lipstick, it’s not weird for her to suggest you to bring your own. You are going to want to reapply throughout the day. I know some mua (mu artists) give a kit with lipstick in it but IMO, the long-wearing lipsticks and lip stains are much better than reapplying lipstick every 15 minutes. That way the lipstick isn’t coming off on your FH’s face or smudging on anything. Even though my mua offers a lipstick kit for me to take with me, I’ll be supplying my own.

i have freckles too - and they disappear once I put on a long wearing foundation. It’s a tough call because most lighter foundations won’t cover your freckles but they also don’t provide the best coverage (and it’s not long lasting). Do you have a foundation you use and can ask the mua to use?

Otherwise, I’d suggest going to Sephora and explain what you’re looking for - a long lasting foundation but something light enough that won’t cover your freckles.

in regards to drastic colour change from face to neck, will you tan for your wedding day? Or have a fake tan? If so, that will help. If not, I’ve asked my mua to do my décolletage- I want the colour to be consistent. I’ve asked her to contour my collarbones (I have a strapless gown).

I hope this helps!

Feeling weird about hair and makeup trial 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics