Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Devoted December 2022 Yucatán

Feeling Overwhelmed with Dresses

Brittany, on May 3, 2021 at 15:51 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8

So, I went to my first bridal boutique over the weekend. Overall it was a great experience, the bridal consultant was amazing, made me comfortable and was able to help me out with my over opiniated mother (LOL).

BUT as a plus-sized bride who is currently on a weight loss journey and have already lost 30 pounds, I feel very overwhelmed about how I am going to decide a dress to buy.

Going to a dress store that does not have a lot of dresses to try on in your size is a little upsetting - although expecting it, I did not think there would only be like 10 plus size dresses there and they have 100s of regular sized dresses. Now I am reflecting and I am starting to feel a little upset and stressed about any future wedding dress stores and future try-ons. Stressed to the point that I don't feel hungry or if I do eat I feel sick. I was told to shimmy in some of the smaller dresses, but I didn't feel comfortable in fear of ripping it or looking like a stuffed sausage LMAO.

Has anyone else felt this way? Does anyone know a place that have a very good selection of plus-sized dresses to try on in Alberta?

Thanks Smiley smile

8 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on May 5, 2021 at 13:43
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will definitely be calling around before booking again. I am going to wait a bit though. I have plenty of time and the last thing I want to do right now is go dress shopping after this past weekend. Not that it was horrible, I just need time to think about what I did see and what I have tried on to get an idea of what I like, because even after trying on 8 dresses I still have no idea what style I like except for a few things.

• Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely understand how you are feeling - especially since some designers fit on the smaller side and it's even more discouraging...

I suggest calling around to a few salons and asking about their selection of "Plus" size sample gowns (16+) - the number of gowns, silhouettes, etc... Also, from my experience designers like Maggie Sottero, Mori Lee fit even smaller than say most Stella York or even Sophia Tolli's I tried on (a 14 in SY or ST would allow me to get my hips in, boobs secure and back done up all the way...but a 14 in MS or ML would sometimes fit my hips, but would only ever allow for a zipper/buttons to be 1/2 closed, at the most)

I am in Ontario, but the salon I ended up getting my dress from has a large selection of "Plus" size sample dresses (up to bridal size 30 if my memory serves) in various designers/silhouettes. Maybe you can find a similar boutique in AB Smiley smile

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's good to know. I think for the sake of variety I will go try on some dresses. Just because some stores do not have all the different shapes of plus size dresses.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Anything in bridal will be a few sizes bigger than what you actually wear. Don't be discouraged by the size number. My sister was size 2 (street size) back when she got her dress and her dress was a six bridal I think. I couldn't even try on the bridal 14 sizes... It was not a great feeling to be sure. It gets better. I did not buy anything at David's the one I went to was actually not bad. No pressure to buy it was great. Maybe because I went so far in advance
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am in the same boat, because Covid has been rampage in Alberta there isn't much to do and now that I've been with my mom, my MOH and bridesmaid wants to go just to get out and do something. But I am not in the slightest bit ready to go back to a bridal store.

Honestly, the thought of going back gives me anxiety. I was thinking of doing David's Bridal but I have heard some horrible things about that place. But if they have the variety for plus size to try I on, I may just do that. I did not get to try on any ballgowns like I initially wanted to nor one with sleeves which is what my entire Pinterest board has been filled with for over a decade.

So if David's Bridal has the variety for plus size girls to try on, then I am willing to go.

I don't consider myself plus-size. I am a street size 14 which is considered mid-size but my hips are so big that I had troubles squeezing into anything smaller than a 16 in bridal dresses.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My first bridal appointment was horrible. I'm about a street size 10 and I couldn't try on anything in the store except one that was still very small. It was horrible and I hated it and it took me a long time to want to go again. I finally went to a David's bridal thinking hopefully of nothing else they would have a few styles that I could at least try on. They did and I still didn't find anything I really liked. I ended up at least finding the silhouette I liked and I ordered my dress online.
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

18 months to 2 years. I know its extremely early, but with Covid and nothing else to do I thought it would be fun to check out some places to see what is out there. Don't get me wrong I found one I really like except for the shape, but I just felt like it was not enough variety for me to look at and be able to want to try it on.

I think I will wait another few months to look again. That way if I do decide to do it in September of 2022 it will be a year out.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think anyone, no matter their size has a fear of getting stuck or getting cut out of a piece of clothing, especially something as expensive as a wedding dress!

How far away is your wedding? If you're more than a year out and plan to continue losing weight then I would pause on shopping. If you try to guess what size you'll need in say 18 months you'll only cause yourself stress: order too small and feel like you need to starve to fit, order too big and need to spend money on alterations or another dress if it can't be taken in.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics