Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Casey
Frequent user November 2018 Alberta

Feeling Kinda Organized

Casey, on January 5, 2018 at 02:11 Posted in Alberta 0 4
Whoop!
Have the Venue secure, catering locked in and an officiant booked, have a bartender and alcohol costs figured out! It's a huge weight off the shoulders, now just to figure out photography and dj. I have reached out to many photographers in the Edmonton area and I guess have been unhappy with costs so far... I have had many people say "you get what you pay for!" But I am still going 😣 wwwwhhhhyyyyy $2200 for 5hrs or less of coverage . I have also had people offer me to do photography (small business friends and relatives) BUT I'm wondering if it's too much to ask for a guest at your wedding to do the business side... I have one family friend who does photography and djing - so just don't want to ask them to do it since they are guests....

4 Comments

Latest activity by Casey, on January 22, 2018 at 09:36
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's nice because my friend is, I would say professional, she's had her photography business for a number of years doing lots of different shoots and weddings. I don't want her to think I invited her just for photography. I think now I'm feeling that I just want everyone to have a good time and don't want to mix "business with pleasure" for my guests sakes.
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I did try to lower the amount of time to just the ceremony and some formal shots after (between in the cocktail hour) but 2 hours was still over $1000 so I feel like there's no point in compromising time if the price tag is still going to be up there. We just recently had FH's Aunt offer to pay for photography as a gift but again don't want to put her out of pocket either, worst case scenario I would ask my Photographer friend but I just want everyone to have a good time and have no stress.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Woop woop! Nice work on getting organized!

I sympathize about getting sticker shock at photography costs. When I was planning my wedding I had no idea how I was going to afford it. But we moved numbers around and we hired a good professional photographer and I absolutely do not regret it. If you can try to make it work I personally absolutely think it is worth it, I see my photos around my house (and at my work here at WeddingWire of course!!) every day and am so happy with them.

Some ways to save costs on photography while still hiring a pro is having only one shooter, and having them for fewer hours, such as just the ceremony and just a few hours of the reception. Maybe a non-pro could do just your getting ready photos (if you even want those) so they could still enjoy their time as a guest at your wedding. Then the pro could do the ceremony, your staged pics during your cocktail hour, and the big events at the start of the reception (grand entrance, speeches, dances, cake cutting) and could leave when it's just the dancing and socializing. Just an idea!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If they are offering to take photos, I think they know what they are giving up. I would talk to them about what their charging and go from there. If you like their photos, and their offering, I think it's fine to hire them.

The downside would be if you don't end up liking the pictures. I think it will be hard to have your friendship return to normal if that happens.

If you want, you could split up the pictures amongst those that offered. One for the ceremony, one for the bridal party, family pictures, one for the reception, one for the photo booth or however you/they would want to schedule it. That way, they will still get to enjoy some of the wedding.

My sister-in-law had two of her friends do her photos, and she now wishes she had more formal shots. But, because they had never photographed a wedding before, they didn't know what to recommend like professional photographers would.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics