Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karolynn
Beginner October 2020 Ontario

Feeding the officiant

Karolynn, on October 21, 2019 at 16:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13
Just not sure what the rule is for an officiant when it comes to food. Do they stay after the ceremony? Do we add the officiant to the guest list? Do you include officiant for the dinner?

Please help.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on November 3, 2019 at 08:22
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll be offering our officiant to attend dinner, but I don't see him staying. Neither FH or I are affiliated with any religion, so we have no relationship with the man but we know it's polite to at least offer. And I totally get what Megan is saying, and thought the price for my officiant seemed way too reasonable for what they do, so the least we can do is extend the invite and I fully intend to give a tip also, or a small gift

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It also depends. Is your officiant one you booked or do they come with the venue? Either way, you’re best to ask. I’m feeding mine but she’s our best friend xD
  • Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ashley ...Good point Smiley laugh

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe check with your officiant if its the norm to invite them to the reception afterwards?

Honestly, every wedding I've been to, the officiant has not stayed for the reception unless the couple had a friend marry them.

• M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have SUCH strong feelings on this!! My mother is a wedding officiant. She does tons of weddings, and is invited for dinner for about 50% of them. Here is the most important thing to remember:

YOUR OFFICIANT IS THE ONLY REQUIRED PART OF THE WEDDING. YOU CAN'T BE MARRIED WITHOUT THEM!

Think about it! You can get married without flowers, a dress, a coordinator, a photographer, but without that officiant to sign your documents you won't be married. Please consider giving a plate to your officiant. They are very underpaid for what they do, considering your entire marriage rests on their shoulders! It's becoming more new age not to invite the officiant, but I urge everyone to really think hard about it!!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im not feeding mine lol!! hes at the church and our hall is elsewhere. our ceremony is only 45 mins so i cant see why i would feed him

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our officiant made it pretty clear that she had other engagements after our wedding. So she didn't stay long after the ceremony. In all the weddings I've been to or been part of, the officiant didn't stay for any of them.
    If you're unsure, I'd just ask them what they usually do after a ceremony!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t invite our officiant to our reception mainly because they were held at 2 different locations. If we had them at the same location, I would have probably extended an invitation to them to be polite.
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our priest is also a family friend so he is definitely staying and yes he will get a meal along with our dj, photographer, videographer and our wedding planner

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We asked our officiant if she wanted to stay, but she also works part time as a nurse, so she had to leave soon after!

Never hurts to ask, they definitely appreciate it, even if they end up declining.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can offer the Officiant to stay for the reception following the wedding. He or She would accept or decline based on their schedule.

Ours had to do Officiate a wedding right after ours the same day.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Apparently, it is tradition to invite the priest to the reception when doing a church ceremony. So, we'll probably invite him but I highly doubt he will come.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us we simply mentioned the type of food we will be having and asked if he would be staying for supper since if immediately followed the ceremony. We just asked via weddingwire messages and in the end he thanked us for the offer but he had to drive back to the city for the Elton John concert Smiley tongue

Worth offering! If he/she says yes I would extend a seat for their S/O and they would be placed at a vendor table.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics