Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Curious June 2018 Ontario

Fear of public speaking

Megan, on May 19, 2017 at 00:08 Posted in Beauty 0 10

Anyone have a fear of speaking in public?

I know they will all be my family and friends, but I have had a fear (unwilling almost) of public speaking. I have soo much I would like to say including my vows ofcouse, but I am concerned about me not doing it. It is soo important to me to do this because I know that the vows are such a special & important part of our bond. I feel I might just hand him the note of my vows :o I have a very quiet voice also... I can think of someone yelling out "I cant hear you" and that would just top it off!! I heard it is always the men that faint but in my case...

I do have some major plans as to help myself with this public speaking "fear" but I though it a good plan to ask others of their ideas, tips, hints etc..

Thanx!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Kayla, on June 22, 2017 at 00:36
  • Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have zero tips. I'm honestly just as afraid. Thankfully my friends and family expect me to be an awkward mess haha.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was in Oshawa at the Navy club. And ya hopefully drinking will calm me down!
  • Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unrelated to this post -- Chelsea, where did you guys have your Jack & Jill ?? (if I remember correctly, you're also in my area)
    I do not like being put on the spot.. I also go so red, get shakey - I almost break out into hives - it's terrible. Hoping a couple drinks will settle my nerves Smiley winking

• Tiffany
    Devoted September 2018 Quebec
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance is so nervous to even be in front of people! He's going to be nervous for the vows. We decided to keep the ceremony short for this reason.
  • Megan
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you soo much for all your help I got some really good ideas from you all! I really need to do this so I will probably go for it without the mic, and your all right about my man making me feel safe.. but if it comes up to me not doing it I will say them before or after (kind of nice because it would be private.) Helps to know that this really is an issue for a lot of people. Although I hope the best for all of you knowing soo much of how it feels!

Thank you all again!! Smiley shame

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also do not like public speaking but I have come to realize that my FH won't care if I get a little flustered or emotional and say umm a few times. He will only care about what my words mean and that has helped me a lot. I also think that your voice being quiet isn't a bad thing. No one other than your FH needs to really hear your vows. My FH's brother-in-law spoke his vows so quietly that to this day no one other than FH's sister knows what he said. I also don't think people will even notice or care, they will chalk it up to all the nerves and emotions of the day.

• Loni
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Loni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm the same way! This is actually my biggest worry right now. When I speak in front of people I get so nervous and stressed that my skin goes all bright red and splotchy Smiley amazing I'm so afraid our pictures are gonna come out and I'm going to look like a tomato!

My FH has an incredible calming effect on me however, and I'm hoping that in the moment, I'll just be looking at him and everything else will fade away. In the end it's him who I'm speaking to, not the crowd of people watching, so I'm hoping this will help Smiley smile

Best of luck!

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am horrible with public speaking. My face goes red, my hands shake so bad, you can see my heart beating right out of my chest basically, I say uhmmmm constantly, it isn't good. I did just have a jack and jill this past weekend and I had to say thank you to everyone for coming out and supporting us and I just kept it short and sweet and it wasn't that bad because it was friends and family. One idea I have would be to take away the microphone like Jessica mentioned and then you guys can do your vows quietly and it would be more intimate between the two of you.

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally get it! I have really bad social anxiety and general anxiety so I'm really scared for the wedding. My FH doesn't have anxiety but he is very shy and so we have decided to write our vows and we will be reading them to each other in private before the ceremony Or after (haven't decided yet).As for not being heard, if you have a DJ at your wedding they may be able to provide you with a lapel microphone so people will be sure to hear. That's what we are doing. Or maybe even the venue has a sound system and microphone you can use. And like you said, it's all family and friends, everyone will be so happy for you and cheering you on! I know it's easier said than done, but tale deep breaths and when you're up there just keep your eyes on your husband and I'm sure that will help relax you knowing he's by your side through it all!
  • Jessica
    Frequent user July 2018 Nova Scotia
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH has this problem, he blanks in front of people and is very nervous of his vows... I was considering taking the mic away for his vows, so only I can hear

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics