Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Abbie
Devoted June 2022 Nova Scotia

Favours - yay or nay?

Abbie, on April 23, 2021 at 15:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 31
Are wedding favours an expected courtesy? Or is it more of an individual decision? As I’ll have international guests I can’t do anything like honey/jam, and my guests have a variety of food allergies so baking is out lol. Just contemplating whether they’re necessary as they do add up quickly! Smiley smile

31 Comments

Latest activity by Abbie, on May 8, 2021 at 21:17
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think a donation to an animal shelter is a wonderful idea!!
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha I think sometimes people just have an idea in their head and for whatever reason refuse to budge even if it doesn't make sense. Hopefully he sees the light!! Good luck!!! Smiley xd

• Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right!? I am going to do that and forward him some posts about the flavours. It's funny because I also asked him about what the favours were for the last couple weddings we went to (one where he was actually in the wedding party) and he couldn't even remember. Thank you for the advice!
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe you can show your fiancé a few articles about how favours are not necessary and a lot of couples choose not to do them at all anymore? Or show him this thread? It sounds like he feels they are something that's expected and he thinks people will be disappointed if there's nothing.

I can say from my own experience that I always forget my favour and most of the time it's not even something I want or will use, unless it's food. But even sometimes when it's food I forget that too. From what I've seen on this forum, most people also forget them or don't think they're necessary. I don't know, maybe it's a generational thing and all of our older family members are really offended that we haven't given them favours haha! But if so I'm glad it's an attitude that's changing because a lot of the time they can be really wasteful.

I also just can't imagine anyone would be upset you donated a small amount to an animal shelter instead of spending a few hundred dollars on a trinket. Favours are not a right for someone who attends a wedding so you're absolutely not forcing them into a donation. Rather it's money you and your fiancé have chosen to donate instead of spending money on a part of your wedding.

• Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really REALLY don't want to do favours, I think they're pointless, no one notices or takes them, and then you're left with all this wasted money on items not used. My idea was to instead do a small donation to an animal shelter (we have adopted shelter pets) so would be near and dear cause, and would actually go to use/benefit something. But when I brought it up with my fiance he shot it down saying "you can't do a forced donation". I'm sure no one would complain that money went to an animal shelter instead of getting a terrible little candle, but I digress.

Now trying to come up with other idea (on the cheap) because I absolutely refuse to spend a lot on these things that I see as a waste. I came across the idea of a firestarter (pinecone with I think wax on the top, to start campfires etc easily) and thought that could be a low cost idea. Also saw a birdfeeder idea where you have a heart shape and then cover it in birdseed and attach a rope to hang it, also low cost and actually useful. I just hate the idea of having all these things left behind, I truly believe people don't get an F about favours anymore

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your insight! Your wedding sounds lovely!
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is a wonderful idea! Non-materialistic and more valuable as a whole to help a good cause!
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We opted not to do party favours because they’re not significant to the guests. I’ve been to maybe 10-15 weddings in my life and I’ve only had 1 memorable gift, which was a nice homemade chicken rub spice. It was completely practical which I appreciated.

We opted to hire a mellow jazz singer and trio for the cocktail hour, along with an extra special 3 course meal and open bar all night. We felt that our guests would enjoy the live music and making memories at our wedding than a little $5 item.
    Not to say favours are random or not valued but it didn’t have much significance to us as the couple.
    It’s really up to the discretion of the bride & groom
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think that’s a lovely idea to do with the Thank You cards Smiley smile
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Favours are a choice that is up to the couple and cultural decision. I know I have seen favours done for most Indian weddings as my eldest brother did as well. We did for sure as it would be something useful which my parents do use for Indian New Year and as décor at home. Some cousins didn't do them as their choice seeing it wouldn't be necessary. I have seen Thank You cards with donations to charity of the couples choice they support as gifts instead.
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Hank!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What a wonderful idea!!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say nay. The only people in my life who actually cared about them are the ones obsessed with decorating their space a certain way. Every other instance, the couples did it out of what they thought were obligation (who then told us not to do it) and some guests would be mildly amused by them and others left them behind.

Out of the 10+ weddings I've attended, only one favour was actually good because it was not printed with the couple's names and date, nor is it something that is inedible yet will rot (ie plant-based trinkets).

If you're doing a photo booth, I would count that as your favour.

• S
    Newbie July 2022 Ontario
    Suesan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was back and forth on this since my fiancé culture they do and mine we don’t. So to meet in the middle we decided to donate to the Diabetes Canada which impacted his side of the family and mine ☺️. We’re extremely happy to go with this route!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Fair enough! I’m sure it’ll be lovely ☺️
  • C
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I think they can! But totally agree it isn’t worth the price... literally only doing it as it’s included in our price per plate!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone for your insight! I’m feeling far more comfortable with ditching favours now Smiley smile I totally agree that the money would be better spent on experiences with your loved ones. Plus, the last thing I want is to order a bunch of unwanted stuff that will just wind up in a landfill!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree - the priority should be on experience over trifles! Smiley smile
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree! It should be about the experience with people you love Smiley smile
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the input!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh, maybe they can then! I was under the impression it was restricted as an agricultural product?
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good to know - thank you!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is an absolutely beautiful idea. So sorry for your loss Smiley sad
  • S
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were originally planning to provide wedding favors but now we'd like to make a donation in lieu of that to honour the memory of someone we loved and will always love very much who passed away last March when all this madness began. Our way of including him in the wedding.
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have forgotten to take home my favour at every wedding I’ve been to that’s had them. I don’t think anyone will miss them if you decide to skip.

But if you do want to do them I think people generally prefer something useful or edible.
  • C
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing favours solely because it’s included in our venue fee (they have bees on site and make their own honey). My finance is also British and I think international guests can take honey home?! When we’ve travelled from Italy or Sicily back to London we brought honey in our carry on no issue!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I aren't doing favors. It's an extra expense we don't want to pay for since half of the time guests forget to take them home at the end of the evening
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am team no favours. Most people just leave them behind. Also we are trying to stick to a tight budget and I feel that money could be better used elsewhere
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most couples skip them. They often get left behind or thrown out/end up in a junk drawer. Save the money and spend it on something you and your guests will enjoy together!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s good to hear - thank you! In England they certainly aren’t custom so my mum is fully opposed to them, but I also don’t want to offend anyone by leaving them out if they’re expected!

Do you think a personalized fridge magnet would constitute a useable favour?
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unless they're food related, many will be left behind/forgotten in most cases. So I personally do not think they're a necessary expense and I don't feel jilted at all if I go to a wedding and don't get a favour. But one wedding that I went to had beautiful wine stoppers as their favours and I absolutely love mine. I imagine they were quite expensive though for a favour. So if you go with doing them then think of something that people will actually use.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics