Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Faryal
Beginner September 2020 Ontario

Favourite Parts of Planning? (if any!)

Faryal, on March 19, 2020 at 01:03 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 24

I am getting married in September and am keeping up the hope that this pandemic will be dead by then so in the meantime, let's talk about those of us who are super involved with the wedding planning process!

I have always loved weddings and have played a major part in multiple weddings. When it came time for my wedding, I was so excited to start planning! I am wondering, just out of curiosity, how deeply involved you guys are in the planning? Are you enjoying it or stressing about it? Are you more DIY or more hire people to do it for you? Any element that's harder than you would have thought? Any element that's easier?

Personally, I am having the best time with planning! I am doing my own invitations, which I am having the best time with, along with some other smaller DIYs but for the most part, I hired vendors.

Tell me about how this process has been for you!

24 Comments

Latest activity by J. M., on March 31, 2020 at 18:14
  • J. M.
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    J. M. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are sept 19. Since covid started I’ve pretty much stopped planning /buying anything for our wedding at this time. It’s been hard but I didn’t want to spend money if we have to end up canceling it. Hopefully that’s not the case.

We decided that if we have to, we are just going to get married with the JP and technology like others have suggested and then have our ceremony (more just like a bbq) next summer.
    Also today my MOH and bridesmaids dresses were delivered from UPS. Didn’t help with those emotions, but it’s not within our control whatever happens.
    Stay safe all!
  • Roxana
    Newbie May 2020 British Columbia
    Roxana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey!

My wedding is in August. My fiance and I were planning it together right before the pandemic was announced. Now, we're just hoping it will still happen in mid August in Vancouver.

Ours will be probably be very small and simple. I am still looking for bridal dresses, but haven't tried any yet. I need some sort of reassurance to be able to continue with the planning.

• Kathy
    Curious June 2022 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are still a way's off for ours but kinda glad now!!

How nice is it to not think of what's going on in the world even if for an hour and plan your wedding!! I am planning on being involved in EVERYTHING lol!! I'm an organizing freak so all the prep is right up my alley. What this crazy world has taught all of us getting married is to cherish all these little moments and never take it for granted! Have fun planning!!!!

• Jade
    Curious June 2021 Alberta
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve loved wedding planning! I’m doing a lot of DIY stuff which my fiancé has been helping with the whole time. It’s fun for us to work together towards something we both want. I designed our invitations, I’m making backdrops for our reception, and I found my dress in November and it came early in the beginning of March! It’s all been so great so far, I’m just hoping everything is settled down by end of June. If not we’ll have to figure out Plan B. Happy planning!
  • Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Now that I'm done inviting everyone that I wanted to, the rest is exciting for me. A little worried about figuring out amount of food to buy, but I know family members who can help me with that. I'm excited to find more things on my list like more garlands, beverage dispensers, fake flowers and whatnot, hoping to buy used or cheap. I have a few diy things planned too like making signs, centerpieces, head table backdrop and the archway - will also be getting help to build archway. I'm getting married on August and I'm in the same boat as to hoping the virus dies out by then.
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have loved every second of it! My fiance has also helped out more than I thought he would and always is sharing his thoughts and opinions, which is awesome since I thought this would be the last thing that he would want to do. My favourite part so far has been getting my wedding dress. The whole experience was amazing and we had so much fun. Our wedding is a mix of DIY and vendors. We originally were thinking of doing more DIY projects but found it hard with our jobs and our kids as well, which is fine.

As for the stress - so far it has been okay. I mean there were some parts that were more stressful than others, especially with the COVID-19 virus as it makes me cautious in ordering some of our decor for our reception, but we still have some time.

• Faryal
    Faryal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yay!! Hopefully it’s all smooth sailing from here on out!
  • Faryal
    Faryal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ticking things off the planning list is such a relief! I have all my vendors booked and I just need to work on specifics like finalizing the menu and picking centre pieces!
  • Faryal
    Faryal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aw I’m so happy your wedding went smoothly and you’re lucky you beat out the covid-19 panic and gathering ban!

My dress was easier to find than I thought it would be. My first visit was to the shop my cousin found her dress in last year but she and I have such different tastes so I didn’t end up liking anything and felt a bit discouraged leaving the store. Luckily, the next store I went to the week after had dresses that were much more me and I fell in love with one of the ones I saw there! I am supposed to get it in in April.
  • Faryal
    Faryal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m looking forward to my wedding in September too. I’m really keeping up my hopes that covid-19 won’t last too long. People seem to finally be doing their part to slow down the spread.

I am finished with my invitation designing, just need to print them out then start assembly! Are you designing your own invites as well?
  • Faryal
    Faryal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wedding planning is SO GREAT right! That’s amazing that you have so many family members to help you out! Is there anything else you or a family member are DIYing? Two of the weddings I was in last year, the cake was made by one of the couples’ mothers. Both of those cakes were absolutely amazing!
  • Faryal
    Faryal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Researching for ideas has been such an unexpected joy for me! You get sooo much inspiration from everywhere. What are your favourite sources of inspo??
  • Faryal
    Faryal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I started planning right away after getting engaged! My engagement will be 11 months, which is not a long time to find a venue since nowadays couple book their venue years in advance! I was so stressed about finding the perfect one but I was so happy and lucky to find the one I did after a couple weeks of searching.

I’ve designed invitations for a couple of my friends’ weddings and I discovered I really loved doing it so I knew I wanted to do my own as well!! I am an artist but it’s hard to be creative when working full time. Working on diys for the wedding helps me to be creative!
  • Faryal
    Faryal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg I would be so stressed out if I had to do set up and take down! Especially since my venues require same-day take down. The only things I’m DIYing are things that I know I can manage (like invitations) and that I know I wont have to worry about the day-of!

I’m glad you’re having fun!! It really is a whole different thing when it’s YOUR wedding right! I know a lot of my guests aren’t going to pay that much attention to all my little details but I just love planning it all out.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love it!! its been so much fun i love researching new ideas and coming up with decor and looking at ideas. we started planning about a month after being engaged so we had plenty of time and lots of choices for vendors which was great

• lkbuck
    Curious January 2021 New Brunswick
    lkbuck ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had no desire to wedding plan (and never have) and told my finacé he could plan it all lol but once I got into it, I found it quite fun! We are doing it together and it hasn't been stressful in the least. I have been in 7 weddings and to 11 on top of that so, I decided I was NOT doing anything DIY so I have hired out everything. I ordered all the invitations online and as a bonus I don't even need to go back to the venue and clean up the next day!
  • Symone
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Symone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love love love wedding planning! We are making our own invitations, thank your cards etc! It’s a lot in the moment but we have 4 generations working on wedding stuff!
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good news over here, We paid our last payment for the wedding. Now just a few little things and on we go.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have LOVED wedding planning! I plan events regularly both in personal life and work-life (although not weddings Smiley winking ) and love every second of it. So this has been a super fun experience for me. I do not feel like it has been stressful, more enjoyable. I loved going on Pinterest planning the DIY, doing some graphic design, organizing seating charts etc etc. My fiance and I have had a great time planning out our wedding playlists as well, we've turned it into date nights.

The only thing I did not like was everyone throwing their opinions at me. As a people please this was hard to deal with ha ha but I have learned and grown from it.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I thought about doing my own invitations however I have quite a few DIY projects on the go and figured that would be one to many. I love everything about wedding planning and weddings in general. We are not getting married till next year so things better settle down by then. I think I'm more concerned over the financial ramifications of this pandemic. I'm in healthcare so I'm still working. However, my FH is laid off indefinitely, my son may be laid off soon (he lives at home because he is in school doing an apprenticeship). We had everything planned like most people but it feels like those plans could get pulled away at any moment. I'm still looking forward to the process but there is a bit of worry mixed in. I think any gatherings after all this is over will be celebrated with a lot of enthusiasm.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My favourite part was wedding dress shopping, it was also a lot easier for me then I expected because I only went to one appointment and ended up loving the first dress I tried on.

I was a huge ball of anxiety while planning. Everything went perfectly the day of, but all the way wedding planning I had multiple bouts of panic. I just got over all that wedding anxiety and now there's COVID-19 anxiety to replace it.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Every step of the planning was exciting since it was something to do and tick off the list as completed. When I was in the process, there were both parts of DIY and vendors were booked and created. Vendors for the day were the professionals to be there and rental companies to ensure deposits were paid for pick up on time of the wedding. DIY projects included welcome package: Welcome note, wedding day schedule, venue land/water activities, Welcome dinner information/directions and wedding party rehearsal to those being local and 1 that came the same day as everyone else. Wedding programs were also created as the kit was purchased online. It looked great and simple with photos being taken after the ceremony.
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am still looking forward to our september wedding. I was stress out the past few months with doing all the planning alone. But now I'm back to it and currently working on my invites.

• Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am still super excited about my wedding which is in December of this year!

In terms of planning, we have almost all of our vendors already - wedding planner, venue, photographer, florist, invitations/save the dates, hair/makeup, transportation .. I personally don't like waiting on things and we were both just so excited that we wanted to book everything as soon as possible.

I am definitely stressing out now though .. i know my wedding is 9 months away but there is so much going on right now. The only DIY that i'm doing is day of decor ... both mine and FH's job are quite demanding so we just don't have the time to do more DIY things.

That's exciting that you're doing your own invitations .. super jealous!

Good luck with everything and we will get through this!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics