Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Faux Pas or Nah: Not inviting all out-of-town guests to your rehearsal dinner?

Lynnie, on April 15, 2019 at 12:18 Posted in Before the wedding 0 28

If you’ve got a lot of out of town guests coming to your wedding, inviting them all to the rehearsal dinner can start to feel like a hosting second wedding. But they’ve traveled to come and celebrate with you, so it’s only fair, right?

What do you think about breaking with this old tradition, and not inviting all of your out-of-town guests to the rehearsal dinner? Is that still a big etiquette faux pas for you? Or nah?

Faux Pas or Nah: Not inviting all out-of-town guests to your rehearsal dinner? 1Invite from ViolaMirabilisDesign on Etsy

Next Question: Texting the bride or groom on the wedding day?

Back to the Beginning: Faux Pas or Nah?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on April 23, 2019 at 11:19
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't. Immediate family/bridal party is all who is coming to our rehearsal dinner.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nahhhhhh!!! Well I'm doing a very quick casual dinner after the rehearsal but I am focusing on the people I need at the rehearsal. It's going to be late enough as it is I don't want to have to host or worry about too many extra people I need to sleep!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely rude. It doesn't mean I don't wish I didn't have to invite all of our out-of-town guests to our rehearsal.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Out of town guests should be welcome to the rehearsal since they have come a long way to see the couple celebrate their day.

My parents hosted the Welcome Dinner (other way of having rehearsal dinner) at Mandarin the night before the wedding. It was great as everyone enjoyed their time with the whole family and the wedding party MOHs also came along.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Any guest coming from out of town is welcome at the rehearsal dinner. Culturally it’s what we do. Coming in from a long trip? No worries, we got you. We’ll feed you and help settle you in. We wouldn’t have it any other way.
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We won't really have many out of town guests and most will be friends so, Nah our rehersal dinner won't include them.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah, I think this is a good chance to have an intimate family gathering before the big day. Out of town guests don't need to be babysat.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We haven’t thought this far out, and my mom is planning the rehearsal dinner, so i guess i’ll leave it up to her. it doesn’t matter to me either way
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nah. Only our parents, siblings and wedding party will be there. It's not a big deal at all.
  • Erin
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Only the wedding party will be invited to our wedding rehearsal. Their significant others may join us at dinner but I feel the rehearsal should be between those of us in the wedding party. We have lots of family and friends coming that I don't feel anyone will be left out at any point during the weekend.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't really have any out of town guests. The rehearsal is just going to be wedding party and parents. This shouldn't be huge expense. People can come after their dinner as not till 7:30pm.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't know that was a thing! I wouldn't invite them, you are having a wedding after all. I thought the rehearsal was just for the wedding party and parents. We are not having a formal rehearsal dinner, just something low key to get all on the same page.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Were not having a rehearsal dinner but wouldn't invite all out of town guests of we were bc they're all from out of town
  • Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nah, I wouldn’t invite them all.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah...
    I don't expect my in-laws to invite all of our friends and family from out-of-town to their house for dinner.

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are not inviting everyone. Just our immediate families and attendants. We also decided to make it a NO KIDS event. Aside from actually being married, I think this is the part that I am most looking forward to. There'll just be 11 of us, and it'll be a calm, quiet gathering before the chaos of the reception.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's a faux pas. I think the only people you have to invite are the people involved in your ceremony who have something to rehearse (ex: wedding party) and their significant others if they have one.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No I’m not inviting out of town guests to the rehearsal. Only those involved in the ceremony will be invited. Which is basically our two families.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

95% of our guests are coming from out of town so I think this is totally fine lol

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not inviting all out of town guests to the rehearsal dinner is totally fine! If it weren't I'd basically be having a second wedding since 75%-80% of guests are out of town!

Our rehearsal dinner is only wedding party and immediate family.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends how many guests you have and how close to them you are. If I had a bunch of out of towners that I wasn't really close with, I don't think I'd invite them.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since my wedding is so small, and all of my guests are flying here, I have invited all of them to my rehearsal dinner. The way I think, they are spending a ton of money to come here, so what is another couple hundred to have everyone come to a rehearsal dinner.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah...our wedding rehearsal will be for the wedding party and immediate families only...it is the first time both of our families are meeting.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Because we are travelling for the wedding, we will probably just meet up with everyone that is at the hotel the day before the wedding and have dinner.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah - We are having our family (though my FH's family won't be there - their choice not to come in until the morning of the wedding), our wedding party and anyone that helped set up the reception space.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah. I only have a few out of town guests, but they are family and I see them often, they don't need to come to the rehearsal. Just immediate family will be there

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah, I'm not going to be... The rehearsal dinner is for immediate family and the wedding party IMO.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Um, I didn't know this was a thing! If you invite some who aren't involved in the wedding, invite them all! We only had our parents and those involved in the wedding at our rehearsal dinner.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics