Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2018 Ontario

Father/daughter dance

Stephanie, on January 26, 2018 at 20:55 Posted in Wedding reception 0 12
I’ve been thinking about the Father/Daughter dance lately. I have my bio dad who has been in and out of my life and “pops” in for visits from time to time. Then my step dad who has taken more of the father role my life then my actual dad. I feel if I choose my step dad, my bio dad will feel left out or that he doesn’t matter or I don’t care about him or the same if I were to chose my bio dad.. so I’m undecided on what to do.
I have already decided that I will be getting my mom to walk me down the isle.. since she raised me from the beginning before my step dad came into the picture.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on February 3, 2018 at 19:39
  • Allison
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't read the comments, but girl... don't worry about what your bio dad will think. My step dad was my biggest support system for as long as I can remember, and my bio dad has caused a lot of stress in my life. We unfortunately lost my step dad in November to cancer.... we only found out three weeks before that he was sick.

I was planning on asking him to walk me down the aisle alongside my bio dad, and have two father/daughter dances, but never got the chance to ask because I was worried about hurting my dad's feelings. I literally lose sleep at night knowing that I never asked him, which would have made him so happy.

Just do it!!

• Samantha
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are skipping the father/daughter and in turn the mother/son dances completely. My dad really dislikes being the center of attention as he has anxiety etc. It will be hard enough on him walking me down the aisle. If it’s causing you anxiety, I would just skip it
  • Elana
    Newbie August 2018 Ontario
    Elana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm going to try to skip it but I can see his mom really wanting to dance with him too!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Why not do a dance with your mum instead? You don't have to pick that way and she clearly means so much to you. I danced with my mum at my wedding as my dad isn't in my life and my mum met my step-dad when I was 18 and at university.

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I came here to suggest the same thing! I am really not close to my stepdad so not looking forward to this part of the reception. I would skip it completely but my FH really wants a mother-son dance, surprisingly lol. Might consider dancing first with my stepdad then my mom... people will probably find it strange but a whole song is going to feel like an eternity lol
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not doing the father daughter dance, my father has passed. My fiance may not be doing the dance with his mom, because she is older and may not be able to do it.

• S
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea, it’s not that important to me.. was curious what other brides may have done
  • S
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great Idea.. will definitely keep that in mind
  • S
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, we have thought about this as well.. and leaning towards skipping it.. but was more curious what other brides may have done
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What if you do the father daughter dance.. but split the dance between the two dads?

So start off with your Bio-Dad and half way through he'll leave the floor and your Step-dad cuts in to finish off the dance?

• Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it's causing you anxiety, skip it, some things are just not worth the stress. We aren't doing the father/daughter or Groom/Mother dance. We find them awkward. I'm sure at some point in the night my dad and I will dance, but it doesn't need everyone's undivided attention.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is the father daughter dance important to you? if it isnt, maybe consider not doing it at all. Dance with them later on during the reception.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics