Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jocelyn
Expert August 2018 Ontario

Father & daughter/mother & son dances

Jocelyn, on April 14, 2018 at 17:37 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13
Is it necessary to have a father-daughter/mother-son dance or can i omit this all together?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Amber, on April 17, 2018 at 01:42
  • Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you can totally omit it! We are thinking about it, but I know my dad wants to dance. I have been throwing around the idea of me and FH doing our dance for maybe half the song or so, then fading out into a diffrent one and at that point grab our parents for a bit. This way it doesn't drag on forever but we still get the dances in!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It can be omitted! We are thinking of omitting it as well. I'll have enough of a spotlight dancing with my new husband, and my dad isn't much of a dancer.

As a guest, I find they tend to go on, especially if they both dance to a full song. I really like the idea of others joining in, so if we do end up doing them, we will have other fathers/daughters and mothers/sons joining us after the first verse!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's totally up to you but I'd also check in with your parents to see if this was something they're looking forward to or if they are willing to skip it! My husband didn't do a mother/son dance because the tradition isn't as popular in his hometown and he didn't want to do any more dancing!

• Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are only doing a father/daughter dance, my FHs mother does not want to do a dance with him. i think it is totally up to you and who feels comfortable having all eyes on them for 4 minutes!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

100% it's your day you can do or not do what ever you want!

There are tons of reasons people will omit these dances!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can totally skip this if you want. In modern weddings there is a lot that can be scrapped and you can pretty much proceed however you like.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You absolutely can skip this! I've been to plenty of weddings that skipped this.

• Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im also skipping on things like "bride's side" & "groom's side", cake cutting, and garter toss. im not super close to my dad and my FH's mom has Parkinson's- she also tires easily and doesn't like being in the spotlight (except on her birthday!)
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yup, I say if you don't want it, then skip it! I was on the fence about this too, but my dad was a little disappointed when I told him. I compromised by doing a combined dance so people didn't have to watch dances all night long. I did skip a cake cutting, bouquet toss and garter toss. They definitely weren't missed at all!

• Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you!! i'll remember this if someone dares guilt trip me on this!
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly, it’s your wedding. Traditions are not important. What is important is you and your significant other’s love and commitment. I’m skipping traditions too (no cake, no garter toss, no bouquet toss, etc.). Here is your validation. Make your wedding the day YOU want.
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know- i just need some validation that its ok to skip this. im already skipping out on many other passé traditions (no veil, no garter toss etc)
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not necessary at all! I think this one is up to preference. You might want to ask your father/mother if they would be disappointed if you didn’t have it, but ultimately it’s entirely your choice.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics