Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

Fashion Rules

Hank, on February 3, 2021 at 17:22 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 25

How many of you are breaking "fashion rules" when it comes to your wedding clothes? I feel like some of these rules, for better or worst, are stuck with us (keep last button on suit jacket unbuttoned) but considering most fashion rules that people consider "timeless" were invented by a bunch of aristocrats whose customs and lifestyles are no longer relevant to many of us today, will you be keeping with those rules for tradition sake or breaking them?

Here are a few fashion rules I think of (some of which apply specifically to weddings)

-guests should not wear white, black, or bridal party colours

-matching formality by venue

-matching colours by season

-no tuxedos during the day before 6pm

-no watches with tuxedos

-no long hair for women over 40 (this is definitely stupid in my opinion)

-heels only at formal events

-no mixing black/navy or black/brown (I never understood this)

-match your leathers like shoes and belt, or bag if applicable

-match your metals like watch, jewellery and belt

-no socks with sandals or heels

-cleavage or legs, pick one

Any other rules you are aware of? Any in particular you'll (or expecting guests to) be breaking?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on February 10, 2021 at 18:57
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The engagement ring and wedding bands are usually the exception to the no mixing metals rule. Otherwise once you're married, you can only have one type of metal for the rest of your life. Or you'd have to get multiple wedding rings. Both of those options are ridiculous lol.

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Lol reading this we are breaking most rules 🤣
    One thing that I’m breaking is the no mixed metals. My wedding rings are yellow gold. My wedding dress crystals are being held in silver and so I’m matching any jewelry to my dress other than my rings
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are they triplets? Bridesgrannies? lol

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    ...so hopefully this doesn't happen with all the grandmas....it is a nice dress though and suits them allFashion Rules 1

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Technically, you're following a rule rather than breaking it Re bridesmaids not matching. Even though most weddings see matching brides and groomsmen, it's actually a fashion rule to not overly match.

• Michelle
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s fair - I think it’s more that she read it online somewhere and now feels the need to make sure they don’t match or dress similarly.

Our bridal party isn’t matching, I just told them to wear anything in a shade of our theme colour - I don’t know if that breaks a rule, but I’d rather they wear something they like and not a dress we make them wear, especially if it’s out of their budget. And I can’t wear heels ahaha, so flats for the bride!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I mean, I get why your mom wouldn't want to clash or match your future mother in law. It's not a big deal but some people don't want to be compared to someone else (ie "which mom wore the blue better?"). Not so much a rule than a preference.

Are the two of you, or anyone in your bridal party, breaking any of the rules for whatever reason?

• Michelle
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Fashion rules are too much. My fiance's mom told me that my mom had to choose her outfit first, and that our mom's couldn't be wearing the same colour? I had to tell her to buy whatever she wanted and to stop worrying so much.

My partner and I could not care less about what anyone else wears. As long as someone else doesn't show up in a literal wedding dress, I'm fine Smiley xd

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahaha ya for sure. FH and I will be black tie. I've told my MOH she can wear whatever she wants as long as the colour is right. Knowing her she will also be black tie appropriate. The BM said he is fine to rent a tux or wear whatever the FH wants him too. Since it is just the two of them they will have quite a bit of freedom.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed. Our bridal party bought silver clothes to match our original winter date. We're not making them spend more money by buying another set of clothes to match a late summer/early fall setting.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm more asking about the couple and the bridal party when it comes to breaking rules, since their clothes are something we have control over. For example, I know a lot of people will say screw tradition and wear a white bow tie with a regular tuxedo jacket ala Obama's inauguration but a lot of purists will balk at it.

But I'm with you, unless someone shows up in a completely inappropriate outfit (and I mean something super offensive), I wouldn't say anything either. I guess I'd be disappointed at the lack of respect they have for the occasion but I wouldn't confront them about it. Everyone at the party will see it for what it is and are probably internally judging them as equally as we are lol.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're letting our bridesmaids choose their own style of dresses too. I think the whole trend of everyone needing to match exact is a result of wedding industry meddling, particularly the rentals industry. I personally was never a fan of it, especially if people have different body types and levels of comfort. For example, if all our bridesmaids are wearing what my fiancee's MOH is wearing, one of them would be constantly spilling out of her top. Even if we're fine with that, it's above her threshold on how much skin she'd like to show.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Especially if the wedding is an indoor formal one. At this point, it's not even about fashion faux pas anymore. It's just a lack of respect for the event and the hosts.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Technically by having anything outdoors, the level of formality drops and therefore lack of heels are fine (according to traditional rules). But hey, if someone wants to supe up their outdoor ceremony and wear heels, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Same goes if someone wants to wear flats at an indoor event, especially considering the sexist history behind the tradition of women in heels.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the veil is as much of a "rule" as women having bare shoulders in a church. It's more about the religious restriction than a fashion one.

I get if you have a preference for not mixing black and brown but I don't get why it's a rule. If I'm wearing chelsea boots with black jeans, it'll certainly be brown and not black leather lol.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are aren't doing colors of the season.

• Marg
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Marg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're definitely breaking matching colours by season!

Deep red is a fall/winter colour, but I like it best so I don't really care that all the wedding inspo you see seems to insist that you can never use rich colours during the spring.

I suspect we'll see a lot of "rule breaking" about seasons in the years to come as people postpone their weddings - like, who wants to not use their favourite colours just because they had to move to a different time of year?

• Kimberly
    Curious November 2021 Manitoba
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also I’m not wearing heels. I don’t want to be standing at the ceremony thinking about how much my feet hurt. I’ll be wearing keds.

I also don’t think I’ll be wearing a veil, I want a tule cape of some sort.
  • Kimberly
    Curious November 2021 Manitoba
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I put this on my wedding website:

Fashion Rules 2

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We definitely broke the no black rule 🖤
    My bridesmaids wore black and my mom wanted to coordinate with them as much as possible so she did too.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can't say I'd be playing fashion police at my wedding. I hope everyone can be comfortable. I really hope no one comes in a Hawaii shirt and shorts to our wedding but honestly if they did I wouldn't say anything. There is a chance FH and I would have a giggle about it after....
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m letting my bridesmaids pick whatever dresses they want as long as it’s within the colour palette of the flowers. I personally find it much more relaxed and brings out each bride’s individuality. Plus they can wear their dresses again and feel confident in what they’re wearing!

I’m also wearing a draped cape veil instead of a head veil to give a more unique look.
    And I’ll be changing into a lehenga for the dance portion to honour my fiancé’s Thamil family. It’ll be bright and fun!
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

These fashion "rules" are hilarious. I am definitely not one to to necessarily to subscribe to any fashion rules but if someone came to my wedding wearing socks and sandals I would laugh so hard.

Overall I guess we kept to these rules, but not necessarily on purpose. As far as wedding fashion goes I tried to break out of the typical white wedding dress for sure. I didn't wear a veil, didn't wear a white dress (although my dress ended up a lot more white than I expected lol), and my dress was quite low cut. I also wore thermal leggings under my dress and had blundstones on for half of my pictures which I guess could be considered breaking fashion rules but it was cold out! Smiley xd

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely don't think guests should wear like all white. A bit of white is fine IMO. I could care less if they wear black or bridal party colors.
    I probably won't even be wearing heels for my wedding. Heels and outdoor ceremony are just a bad idea IMO. If I can find some nice comfortable wedges I may wear heels.
  • Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not sure if it’s a rule, but I ditched the vail. I just didn’t want to wear a vail to be honest. Ps. I don’t like black and brown together! Sorry hahahah

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics