Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Essential or Extra: Ceremony Programs?

Lynnie, on September 17, 2018 at 10:23 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 25

What about ceremony programs? I've never been to a wedding without them, but I know a lot of couples have started choosing to skip them! Are ceremony programs essential or extra to you?

10712713-595721287200374-902845975591758

Photo from Deka Events in Montreal

Next Question - Essential or Extra: Signature Drinks?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on May 24, 2019 at 08:28
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra.. I'm doing it because I think they're cute and then I have one to keep.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra, although i feel like if you had a huge wedding party it's nice to learn who everyone is and if you were going to add a special element to your ceremony ie someone singing or a unity thing then maybe a program would be nice.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra, skipping for sure. A waste of paper and resources. We will have one big sign posted near the ceremony seating.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra, we will definitely skip this

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think they are an extra in our case as we are having a run of the mill ceremony. One or two strategically placed larger signs with the events and order are more of an essential in my mind.

If we were doing something out of the ordinary or something not everyone would be generally familiar with, I could see an individual program becoming an essential.

With all that said, our wedding might still be when the last heat wave hits in August in N.S. depending on the venue availability...so they could be useful as fans if the venue booked doesn't have a good AC! lol

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I would count them as an extra, but as a guest I do appreciate having them. I tend to take my seat a bit early and I like being able to read through it and learn who the wedding party are and what their relationship is the the couple. I also like being able to refer to the order of events.

I have been to a few that didn't have them and I wasn't upset, but I did miss them a bit.

I think this is one of those things that if you can fit it into the budget, I'd prefer to have them, but I would be absolutely willing to cut them if necessary to stay under budget and would certainly not judge anyone for choosing to forgo in the name of budget.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra. We skipped on the programs.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra! I like the idea but feel like people look at it once and that's it.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra for individual signs, but we'll have a large one at the entrance for guests to look at.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra for sure.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Half on both

Essential if the wedding is of another culture of combination of 2 ceremonies explaining the steps and what it means. The programs can act as a fan in the summer for the hot days in the sun.

Extra if the ceremony is civil or church and the service is always the same.

I personalized the program to be informative for a wedding indian and civil traditions for those not aware of what happens in our culture. Putting a note of staying after the ceremony for pictures at the end was easy to let our guests know there was group shots taking place.

Essential or Extra: Ceremony Programs? 1

Essential or Extra: Ceremony Programs? 2
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra, our ceremony is going to be like 20 minutes. We really don’t need a program
  • Janelle
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    Janelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Between the wedding website and a big sign.. extra!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra. The last few weddings I have been to have not had programs. I feel like they are a waste of paper as many people do not have purses big (i only bring a small clutch to weddings) enough to put the paper after the ceremony and end up leaving it on the chair

We may consider a large sign, or chalkboard type to give the times for the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra... I don't feel individual ones are necessary but maybe a large sign?
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

EXTRA. These are such a waste of money and paper. There are always way too many printed, as most couples will only take one. Then what do you do with them after the wedding if you are a guest? Throw them away or litter them around the ceremony space. Not needed.

• Jenn
    Frequent user March 2019 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmmmmm....not sure?!

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra. Most people know what’s going on... plus we had a foam-core sign at the entrance with our timeline!

Essential or Extra: Ceremony Programs? 3
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra, we won't be handing out programs. 90% of the time they get left behind or thrown out so it's just an unnecessary waste. We will have an board that outlines the times of ceremony, cocktail hour and reception so if those want to leave between ceremony and reception they know when to be back.
  • Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra, in my opinion it'd be pretty clear what's gonna happen at the ceremony and how everything goes is in the invites and on the wedding website anyways and we'll probably have a MC to fix the last bits. We're also in a park and I feel it's bad for the environment and people might leave them behind or whatever
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never thought of these... so I’m not sure yet lol
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Extra! But again getting mine for free so Gimme gimme!!
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra and bad for the environment. we're putting out a sign. people can snap a pic if they need the information in hand.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra - We'll be skipping them, as we do not have a wedding party and our ceremony will be kept short.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Extra, and I will be skipping out on it and just putting up a couple signs.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics