Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin
Beginner January 2022 Ontario

Entertainment ideas for reception without dancing

Erin, on December 8, 2021 at 15:52 Posted in Wedding reception 0 14

Hello fellow brides and grooms

I am getting married a month from today! Unfortunately, it was announced today that my province of Ontario has paused it's re-opening plans indefinitely - meaning that dancing is not going to be an option at our wedding.

Since we won't have dancing I am looking for ideas for potential games/activities to keep people entertained after dinner. Right now ideas include a trivia game, a bingo scavenger hunt (ie. find 2 guests with the same birthday), and the shoe game. We will likely re-allocate our DJ budget to a nice photobooth (Shout out to our DJ for being super flexible. When we hired them they agreed to allowi us to transfer our deposit to my sister who is getting married a few months after me).

Would love any ideas anyone can give me! I'm sure there are other Covid brides who had to go without dancing. What worked for you at your weddings?

Thanks so all in advance for ideas/suggestions.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Christina, on January 11, 2022 at 19:43
  • Christina
    Newbie May 2022 British Columbia
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m in the same boat! (May in BC)
    We were already planning on some games like the big jenga and Connect4 and now thinking of a trivia or something as well. Our group isn’t big dancers so it’s going to be more of just a nice dinner party
  • T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m so glad you are excited about the trivia game! So fun!

We have been planning it small because of Covid, but I never really thought we still wouldn’t be able to dance in 2022! The dancing was really for me because I love dancing. My fiancé is such a big introvert, I will have to ask him if there are any games he will actually play! He totally probably just wants to chill on the patio attached to our reception room with his best friend lol. We already hired a DJ so I might reach out to him about ideas too.
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do really love comedy so this idea did cross my mind, but ultimately we didn't go in that direction. I feel like the kind of comedy I like would not be appreciated by all our guests Smiley xd

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It was really tough to accept that dancing wouldn't be a thing, but ultimately I'll just be grateful if everyone can come (current restrictions allow for 100% capacity but Omicron has us a bit worried that they make walk things back). I'm trying to find all the bright sides that I can (for example now I don't have to worry about buying an extra dress/pair of shoes to dance in, I'll get the chance to mingle with people I haven't seen in a long time etc). I'm also REALLY excited about the trivia game I'm working on (I'm a bit competitive and I love trivia).

Are there any games/activities that you and your fiancee love that you can turn into a wedding game?

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is very in line with something I'm working on! I'm basically creating a trivia game that is one part the Friends game and one part Jeopardy! I am very excited about it!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We did trivia, but set it up like the Friends game (I even made the board and used the same categories). We axed an online style Pictionary game. We had a projector and screen set up that people can connect to wirelessly via their phones but we saw a lot of people were enjoying themselves mingling and talking to one another so we decided not to go through with it.

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think we might be in the same boat, although our wedding isn't until May in BC the current restrictions are no dancing. I really wanted to dance but now coming up with plan B! One of my original game ideas was musical chairs but I'm not sure that would be allowed either as it's just a close quarters as dancing.

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you mind sharing which games you planned?

• Stephanie
    Curious November 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a wedding recently that hired a comedian, it was fun Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ooh, these are some very helpful resources thank you!
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes!!!! I forgot to mention this in my original post, but my fiancé and I both really enjoy game nights so we do plan on having some options if people want to play. We have a giant jenga game, and I think I am going to also have something like Cards Against Humanity (easy to learn/play, and encourages conversation/laughter).
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that all sounds wonderful Erin!! You've already got more than enough activities outside of eating, drinking, and mingling!! 🙌

Photobooths are always a big hit! You could also do a photo slideshow or have a table with framed pictures of both of you from your relationship (or from growing up!)

You can browse these articles for more ideas of guest games and shoe game questions:

5 Wedding Table Games That are Guaranteed to Keep Your Guests Entertained

How to Nail Your I Spy Wedding Game

60 Wedding Shoe Game Questions You Need to Ask

• Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This might not work for you depending on the type of reception you are having, but we are putting out games like cards, jenga, and cribbage so that while folks are mingling they can also sit and chat over a game. My family is big into cards tho, so this may not work for everyone.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a dance-less wedding back in September as well. If you're doing speeches, the key thing is to not overcrowd the schedule as things move more quickly than you realize. Even with only three speeches (Best Man, Maid of Honour, and us), we couldn't complete the two games we planned and axed one of them. So if you're including parental speeches, that will eat up some time. Not to mention there's the first dance and other wedding moments like cake cutting. Another thing too is, a lot of people are just happy to chill and mingle and having an overpacked schedule doesn't allow for much conversation.

So I think having three games + photo booth is more than enough.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics