Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Valérie
VIP September 2019 Quebec

Engagement Ring : Planned or Surprised?

Valérie, on January 22, 2019 at 17:17 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 25

Let's hear it Brides!

Did you pick out the ring with your FH, or did he surprise you?

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c47954257374e6649

My FH asked me for pictures of styles I liked, but the proposal and the ring he chose were complete surprises!

25 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on February 4, 2019 at 21:18
  • Taylor
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I showed my fiancé photos of rings that I really liked and then probably a year or so later he had to find and charge his old cell phone for a reminder 🤣. He picked out the ring on his own and purposed on our dating anniversary and I was SO surprised 💕 love love love my ring!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I picked a bunch I liked and he picked his favourite, which happened to be my favourite too (I just didnt tell him that!) I still can't stop staring at my ring and its been 9 months
  • Nikki
    Curious September 2019 Saskatchewan
    Nikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I went ring shopping together to pick out a setting as I already had the diamond as it was left to my by my grandparents (it was something they purchased shortly after their wedding in 1952, but never had set into a piece of jewelry, just stored it in the safe deposit box at their bank). I love the jewelry from the Edwardian era, and definitely wanted something vintage/antique inspired, but with the stability & security of new metal rather than 100+ year old gold that could be quite fragile and hard to repair if necessary. I narrowed it down to three possibilities and let him make the final decision about which ring and when to propose as I still wanted some element of surprise.

Engagement Ring : Planned or Surprised? 1

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went shopping together and I picked my top 3 and he chose from there. So it was kind of a surprise but I had s rough idea.
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He surprised me! He asked when we first started dating what kind of ring I liked. I just said something different maybe with a blue stone. But he picked it out. He asked what my mom thought when he asked for her blessing. He asked both of my parents for their blessing two months before he proposed.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose not to do an engagement ring, but I show my FH styles of rings and earrings I love regularly...(if we're going to be together, he's going to need to know what I like Smiley shame )

I'm mostly just commenting to tell you how much I much I hollered at that Ugly Betty reaction GIF.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A little while after my fiancé (then boyfriend) told me he was ready to propose (but needed to save up for an engagement ring), I asked if it would be okay for me to look into styles I like to give him ideas.

After having a few ideas in mind and “sitting” on them, I shared them with him a few months later and he helped my pick one of the options he preferred. The option he chose was my favourite of the bunch so it worked out perfectly!
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Total surprise! My FH consulted with my sisters about what setting they thought I'd like best and then met with a jeweler and actually designed the entire ring himself down to which exact diamond would be picked! Im still super proud of all the effort he put in!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Total surprise! I was honestly convinced that he wasn't going to propose (we were together nearly 8 years at the time, so I had given up thinking he was going to do it), so I was super shocked when it actually did happen.

• Jenny
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I told my fiancée what type of ring I liked with pictures but when he proposed the ring was the opposite of what I wanted ha!
  • Rachael
    Beginner August 2019 Alberta
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't expect him to propose. He was silent for a couple days before it happened so I thought he was breaking up with me. Which he wasn't...he was driving across Canada to surprise me at my family cottage. His family had pulled out a few family heirloom rings to try on inconspicuously before it happened. I thought it was a walk down memory lane for my Future Sister in Law and Future Mother in Law but it was their way to testing out what one I liked. Best surprise ever!

• Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never expected him to propose. We never talked about rings. I was caught off guard completely...he was never the marrying type.
  • Savannah
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us, it was kind of planned as we had looked at the exact ring I wanted a year beforehand and I fell in love with it but found it too expensive. He saved up for a year to buy me the ring of my dreams! It was a surprise when he asked me but I definitely felt it coming, we had been dating for 7 years already! Smiley heart

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For sure planned! Seeing as how I proposed to him - the proposal wasn't a surprise (but was to him!), and the ring was put together by the two of us (though he takes all credit).

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I used to send him pictures of what I liked. But he’s huge on diamonds, so I have a feeling he knew what he was going to get even if I wasn’t sending him pictures !
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He surprised me... with both popping the question and the ring! Haha. We had discussed getting engaged eventually and I mentioned loving vintage engagement rings. He couldn't find an actual vintage one that he loved so bought a new "vintage looking" ring - I love it!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Same as me! I had shown my FH pictures of rings I like (two sapphires was what I really wanted beside a diamond) he got that PERFECT! But the design chosen was all him!! And there is NOTHING I would change about it!
  • Danae
    Newbie June 2019 Saskatchewan
    Danae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I chatted with a jeweller about a custom ring, i got all that done and then told my fiancé about it and left it up to him as to when he ordered it. He told me a while after he proposed that he called the place the following day after i told him about it 💕
    so i knew there was a ring coming and exactly what it looked like, but i didn’t know when it was happening.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had told him that I wanted a sapphire but other than that it was all on him! He picked this beauty out for me!

Engagement Ring : Planned or Surprised? 2
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I told my friend what kind of ring I liked, and he surprised me with it!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was kind of a collaborative effort! i sent him pictures, he couldn’t pick a favourite so he asked me to. He also sent me some of the pictures he liked. I then went ring shopping with my sister (he didn’t want to see a ring on my finger until we were engaged), and the ring i ended up choosing was a perfect blend of our two styles!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was kind of a surprise. I knew it was his grandmother's ring because he was given it after she passed away a few months before he proposed but I didn't know what it looked like or anything.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went shopping so I could give very unsubtle hints about what style I liked, but in the end he chose, and it was exactly what I wanted, and probably even nicer than one I would have picked for myself!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He surprised me! I was also useless when it came to giving him hints to what I'd like apparently Smiley tongue

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I picked my own engagement ring. I showed 2 options I found online to FH and asked him which one he would buy for me. We did the ordering together.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics