Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Devoted November 2017 Ontario

Engagement ring during the ceremony?

Sara, on August 31, 2017 at 10:57 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 28

Hi! I've been wondering lately if you wear your engagement ring during the ceremony or if you tuck it away until afterwards? My band fits perfectly into my engagement ring (in a square shape) so it looks really weird when I don't have my engagement ring on... I'm curious what everyone else is doing!

28 Comments

Latest activity by Hj, on October 14, 2017 at 23:58
  • H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hadn't even thought about that. Both my future wife and I have men's wedding bands for engagement rings and will be getting men's bands for our wedding bands as well. But we both have very small hands and two thick bands on one finger for me would almost come up to my knuckle and probably be uncomfortable and look kind of silly.

• Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always thought you wore your engagement ring down the aisle, then when rings were exchanged you put the wedding band on top, and just flipped them back to the normal way (wedding band below) afterwards.

Is that just me??

• Katelyn
    Frequent user August 2018 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This definitely never occurred to me! However, I love your idea, Hayley!
  • Sarah
    Curious January 2019 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding band will be a funny shape on its own due to my engagement ring shape. Glad this was brought up. As I'm not one to wear a lot of jewelry I like the idea of the MOH holding my engagement ring for me until the end of the ceremony and putting it back on before photos and reception.

thanks!!!! this was helpful Smiley smile

• Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My engagement ring is a really odd shape, so I've had to have a custom wedding band created for it, so it looks funny on it's own. My right ring finger is bigger than my left (thanks to an old fracture) so I can't wear my engagement ring on my right for the ceremony. I'll pass my engagement ring off to my MOH just before the ceremony and I'll have her pass it back to me after my FH puts my wedding ring on me.

• Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yep I plan to wear mine on my right hand until after the ceremony. I just hope my finger doesn't expand from the heat of my summer wedding! Something for summer brides to think about. Smiley smile
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m stuck cause my fiancé got mine as a set, and the band I wanted to get melded together. But I’m thinking maybe I should do that after the wedding. I’m unsure of what to do. But if I get it melded before I defintely can’t wear it on my left hand then. Haha. But if I wait til after I will wear my engagement ring and then he can put on the wedding band after we say I do. 👍🏻❤️
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's great to hear! Looking forward to the post!
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Carol,The wedding day went well and I will be putting up a post about it soon. I work late shifts and I can't wait to be on days. Hope all is well with you.
  • Shelby
    Frequent user October 2017 British Columbia
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My engagement ring doesn't fit on my other hand. I will have my maid of honour hold onto it until after the ceremony then I will put it on.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Another thing I never consider before. Thanks for bringing this up.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Simone how was your wedding day?? I was hoping to see some posts.
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found out on the day of, I can wear my engagement ring during the ceremony. This is up to you and there is nothing wrong with it.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be wearing mine! My rings came as a set. I can't wait to wear them both together.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be wearing mine but I'll switch it to the right hand for the ceremony. That way I can put it back on the left hand after the band has been placed there. This is mainly because the band is slightly tighter than the engagement ring so placing it closer to the hand is a better fit.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore my engagement ring during the ceremony, because my band fits around my engagement ring. He put the wedding band on, and then after the ceremony, I switched places of my wedding band and my engagement ring because they weren't in the right place, but it was the easiest way for me as my engagement ring doesn't fit on any of my fingers on my right hand.

• Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that idea!!!

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore mine during the ceremony and then my husband put the wedding band on top of it. I think if your band is fitted to the engagement ring that you should definitely wear it. And then you have both for pictures after!

• Hayley
    Newbie December 2017 British Columbia
    Hayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Something that I saw was giving the engagement ring to the best man (or whoever will have your rings) along with the wedding band. The exchanging of bands would go like this:

Officiant [to groom]: "[Groom], please take [Bride's engagement ring]. This ring is a symbol of promise and intent. Today that intention is realized, and the promise is fulfilled. Please place this ring above [Bride]'s wedding band to symbolize the love that brought you together and will always protect and sustain your marriage."

Just kind of a nice way to have them both involved.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with mine. I like my ring, but I don't love it. I helped design it (under duress, I didn't want a ring at all) so I feel like I'm obliged to show it off. But I also don't see myself as wearing it forever. I think if they fit together nicely, you should wear your engagement ring, and just polish it up the night before.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think traditionally you are supposed to wear it on your right hand until after the ceremony. I will probably just wear mine like I normally do as it fits together with my wedding ring. I am not sure if I will switch the bands but if so I will do it after the ceremony.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wear your engagement ring on your right while you're down the aisle. I think that's what's traditional anyways
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont have an engagement ring... My FH and I both just bought our wedding bands and have been wearing them on our right hands until the wedding.
    Trying to decide if we should take them off and give them to each other again during the ceremony OR if we just keeping wearing on our right hands and change them during the ceremony.
  • Bonnie
    Beginner June 2019 Ontario
    Bonnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm just doing like others, wearing my engagement on my other hand and then flipping it after
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My sister did this, too. Just flipped them after the ceremony. It made it easier on her.

I'm having my wedding band fused to my engagement ring so it will be an all-in-one deal for me when my fiance puts the ring on my hand.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore mine on the other hand during the ceremony and slipped it onto the correct hand after the ceremony.

• S
    Newbie September 2017 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm just going to wear my engagement ring on the correct finger and will flip the bands after the ceremony (put the wedding band under my engagement ring instead of on top) I'm wearing my great grandmothers engagement ring on my right hand as we are getting married on what would have been their 80th anniversary.
    I know some people put their engagement ring on their right hand and place it on their left after the ceremony.
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was planning on wearing mine. I domt. see why not. It will be the final completion of the wedding with the whole set after your vows. It's the full symbol of your journey together.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics