Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Engagement ring advise

Kelly, on March 9, 2018 at 15:30 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 9

Oh this is SO hard to discuss. I'm about to cry just typing it out. I have a dilemma, and I need some advise. I don't like my engagement ring. I feel like a terrible person for even thinking it. I love him so much, and I don't want to hurt his feelings, and he put a lot of thought into picking it out. But it just isn't my style Smiley sad

My fiancee proposed on Christmas day much to my shock and surprise. We have been dating for almost 8 years, and I had actually become resigned that it would never happen. I've never actually given much thought to what I'd like for a ring, so I'm not even really sure what I'd want instead or what to change about it...euh. What a mess.

How do I even tell him? Do I tell him? Needing some help navigating this one.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on March 12, 2018 at 14:46
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh that is difficult but I think honesty is the best policy here. Just explain to him how you feel and go from there.

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree if it’s going to eat away at you that you should bring it up.

I wasn’t a huge fan of my engagement ring, but I’ve come to love it. My brother is designing our wedding rings so I’m excited about that. I also have lost weight and since my engagement ring is a different shape when I have my wedding band I will wear them on different hands so it doesn’t rub.
  • Emily
    Newbie August 2019 British Columbia
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Bianca, if it's going to eat away at you then tell him. I was in the same boat and I felt like such a horrible person for even thinking about changing the ring. In the end I was glad I was honest and my fiancée just wanted me to be happy.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know exactly how you feel. I am not in love with my engagement ring, even though it was along the lines of what I asked for, and I hate the wedding band because it's super thin and I'm worried it would break in a few years (a few of my rings have already bent out of shape that I wear daily).

I talked to my fiance and said that I love him, but that I'm not in love with my ring. He explained to me why he chose it, which I totally understood and made me love it a bit more. I decided not to exchange it, including the wedding band, but did tell him I wanted to upgrade it later on, when we can afford it (adding a third band for our 1-year). He knows how I feel about it though, so it's not a surprise.

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if it makes you feel that way, you should express it to him. But let him know that you still appreciate his effort of picking one for you. Just be honest with him. I feel like keeping it to yourself is won't be a good way to start your new chapter of your lives together.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a difficult situation. I kind of understand where you're coming from too. The engagement rings I picked out for my self is the complete opposite of what he gave me. But I am beyond in love with my ring because it's his nana's (who had passed a few months before he proposed) and it's honestly the perfect ring for me and I was surprised. However I do not like the wedding band that goes with it. So I just told him I wanted something more my style, and something that was MINE, I told him I felt like his Nana's wasn't mine. I was absolutely terrified to tell him because with it being so sentimental I didn't want to hurt him, but he understood. Honest is key and as hard as it is you may have to just tell him. Or as mentioned if you can't just find one or two things about it that you can love and really really focus on it, you may just learn to love it. If you don't mind, can you share what it looks like?
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Although my ring at first wasn't what I thought it would be I love it solely based on the fact that he got it for me so I'm sort of "blind" to it now. He also put alot of thought into the shape and design which made me admire it and him more. Similar to you we've been together for 10byears,engaged for 8 but I got my ring about 4 or 5 years ago only. So as a wedding gift we are upgrading the diamond and shape of the ring to make it bigger. Maybe that is something you can consider about 5 years down the line? It sounds long but I've seen many brides upgrade after a few years to something else
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

100% agree.

How much do you hate the ring? if it's something that will eat away at you forever, bring it up, but if you can live with it, don't say anything.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh hun, that is a REALLY tough situation and there are two schools of thought on this:

1. Talk to him about it. Tell him how much you love and are excited to spend the rest of your life with him. But that the ring is not your style as much as you love the thought and effort.

This will be a tough situation, and since he proposed 3 months ago, he may not be able to exchange the ring out which means you'd be looking at trying to sell the engagement ring and buying a new one.

2. You learn to love it because of what it means. I know it might not be your favourite, but the ring symbolises the effort and love he put it into it which might mean more than the style itself.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics