Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
Expert June 2019 Ontario

Engagement Photos

Holly, on December 26, 2017 at 17:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7
Our photographer just sent us the rest of our engagement photos and she did an amazing job! Unfortunately I absolutely hate the way I look in just about all of them.. I don't even want to post them. A lot has happened in the past few years and I've gained quite a bit of weight, I've been working to lose it but have been unsuccessful so far. Looking at these pictures of me just about killed my self esteem..

Anyone else dealing with this too? How do you overcome your insecurities?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on December 27, 2017 at 17:57
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wanted to cry but I was just so disappointed and I couldn't really process it. The noticable weight gain is very recent so I just didn't realize what I actually look like now.. so I was taken back and very upset about it. And I saw the ones you posted and I love them!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I felt this way. We got our engagement photos and I excused myself and cried a bit. I felt awful. Especially since on social media you always see this GORGEOUS photos and I just felt ours looked terrible in comparison.

But you know - I had to look through all of them to figure out which one to use for our Save the Dates.. and out of 400 I found like 5 I LOVE. And it does boil down to the emotion the photo makes me feel about my partner. So focus on those few positives.

Plus these photos helped me understand what NOT to do for the wedding photos (Ie. My FH is over a foot taller than me so a good chunk of our photos I have my neck fully extended trying to look up.. not flattering.)

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm really bad at looking at the whole picture unfortunately. However I did find something in most of the pictures that I love, that made it easier for me to share them with friends and family. And I'm hoping that there are positive comments on them that will increase my love for them even more. It's hard, and I am working to get back to the way I was but until then I really need to try to stop being so negative.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know how you feel... I have never been a small person, but ive always been alright with my weight because ive been fit and athletic.... But in the last couple years i have stopped playing sports due to injuries and moved from an active job to a desk job... And ive put on a solid amount of weight and lost any fitness i used to have.
    Ive also come to learn that i am my biggest critic. I hate how i look in most photos, but i find others naturally look over what i think are my biggest flaws and think the photos look great. It has been very good for me to start taking a step back and looking at the whole picture instead of focussing on the points i dont like.
  • L
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Lara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, I'm so glad! Smiley smile

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lara, I kid you not, this totally lifted my spirit. It made me feel so good to read this, thank you ❤️ You are 100% correct!
  • L
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Lara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can totally relate and it's a tricky rabbit hole to let yourself go down... sometimes the only person we can see in a photo is ourselves and all of our perceived flaws.

So do this instead: look at the other person in the photos. The person who wants to marry you. How are they looking at you? With a ton of love, I'm willing to bet. Let that person be your mirror.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics