Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sinéad
WeddingWire Admin January 2025 Galway

Engagement Announcement - Old School or Online?

Sinéad, on December 16, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 20

Announcing your engagement to your family and friends is such an exciting time! Did you phone your loved ones to spread the news or did you plan a big engagement social media reveal for your friends and followers?

How did you announce your engagement? Did you post it online straight away, or go the old school route?

Engagement Announcement - Old School or Online? 1

Photo by Impressions Photography by Mohit in Edmonton, AB

Next Question: Checklist?

Back to the Beginning: Old school or Online?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on February 20, 2020 at 21:26
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We texted everyone as we were out of town and then posted it on fb/instagram after all our family and friends knew.
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We called immediate family that lives out of the city to tell them and then we went and told the people that lived in the city in person. Once everyone knew, we did a Facebook post Smiley smile

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We called a bunch of people and told people in person then after everyone was told i did a fb post

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We called close family and friends, emailed the not-as close family and friends, and announced on Facebook for the distant family and friends.
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We met with our closest family and friends to tell them, but had to WhatsApp call my brother and my fiancé's family because they're on the other side of the world. We did it right away
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Old school.

It was announced to our family and friends personally. Online wasn't something we would do.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both, but mostly on-line. We called all my and his immediate family (because he hadn't mentioned it to anyone) then put some pictures and a post up on Facebook.

• Kimberly
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH went and asked my parents permission so they knew before. He also talked to his best friend who knew and met us for dinner after. I called my parents. went and saw my best friends the next day and then we went and told his family in person. We posted online after we had told who we thought should know in person!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both! First my DH went to my Dad and asked his permission after I proposed to him - then after he got permission we went in person to our immediate family to tell them and then called our friends Smiley smile The rest of our family and friends found out via a FB post.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didnt do a wedding announcement. We just told people as needed.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't announce it to the world, we just waited til the next day to tell our families since we were having a combined family Mother's Day lunch. After that we were going to host a bbq to tell our closest friends but the majority couldn't make it for the day we were planning so FH just went on Facebook chat with all of us and said "so since none of you nincompoops are coming, we will just announce this here! Sam and I are engaged!" I was mad but at the same time laughed😅 everyone else found out through the grapevine since we never announced it on Facebook/social media
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We phoned parents/family first, then put up a relationship status change on Facebook! We wanted our families to know about it first, plus they knew the proposal was happening.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a little bit of both. We phoned our grandparents, but then put out a post on Facebook.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Old school. There were so few, it was honestly easier
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We phoned/face timed our parents, siblings, best friends and grandmas the night we got engaged. We posted on social media the next day for everyone else.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We took a whole week to tell people in person before posting it online.

It was so fun telling people, I would have hated to miss the reactions!
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We called our parents and his sister, but we quickly changed our facebook relationship status and I posted a ring picture on instagram.

Though most of our close friends and family knew he was going to propose, so it's not like they found out online

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Combined for us too. We called our families or told them in person, but shared it on social media later for the rest.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We called our families first, and I texted my closest friends, and then once everyone knew, we posted online! We were on vacation in California so there’s wasn’t an option to tell people face to face unless we were willing to wait 10 days!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We phoned our immediate family who were expecting the news already.

We shared it on social media the next day to our friends.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics