Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2020 Alberta

Engagement

Mackenzie, on December 17, 2019 at 09:57

Posted in Plan a wedding 52

How long were you engaged before you got married and if it was more than a year or less than year what was the reason? Trying to figure out if we should have our wedding in 2020 or 2021 ( we just got engaged on Friday the 13th! Lol)
How long were you engaged before you got married and if it was more than a year or less than year what was the reason? Trying to figure out if we should have our wedding in 2020 or 2021 ( we just got engaged on Friday the 13th! Lol)

52 Comments

• D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be engaged for a year and a half by the time we got married. I liked having the time to take my time and slowly collect the little stuff and have more time to pay off the big stuff! I had friends do it in six months and didnt enjoy the process as much, id have done no less then a year just for less stress!
  • M
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much 🥰❤️
  • M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats!

We were engaged on May 6th 2019, and are getting married May 15th, 2021. We didn't start planning anything until October because we are both so busy, and we wanted to give ourselves lots of time to plan. I didn't want either of us to feel rushed, and since we already live together, we were in no hurry Smiley smile we wanted to make sure that we gave ourselves lots of time to save up for the party of our dreams Smiley smile

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged December 21, 2019 (almost a year - holy cow!) and we are getting married July 18, 2020.

We wanted more than a year so we could afford the wedding we wanted and so we could also save for a house at the same time.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged on September 13, 2019 and our wedding is on October 2, 2020.
    I think location and season can have a big impact on how long your engagement is. For example if you live in a big city and want a summer wedding, the venues may already be booked for 2020. The off season and less popular days might be easier for a shorter engagement (Sundays or Fridays for example).
    Budget can impact the date too. If you want a big fancy wedding you might need time to save up!I could have shortened our planning period. Within a month I had a venue, found my dress, and we booked our photographer. But I'm glad I have more time to enjoy being engaged!
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha 7 months is doable but it gives me anxiety just thinking about it! There is definitely a lot more to planning a wedding than I'd ever imagined. But good luck and this community is always here if you get stuck!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement!!!

By the time we get married next month we'll have been engaged 21 months. That length of engagement was mostly due to the fact that we wanted a winter wedding and getting engaged in April 2018 and getting married in late 2018/early 2019 seemed like we wouldn't have enough time for planning and would also have meant that we'd have gotten engaged after my FSIL but would be slipping in and getting married before her and she'd probably kill us if we did that.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our engagement will be 25 months and 4 days, all said and done! it just gave us way more time to save and plan, and with me being a student, it worked out perfectly! i cant imagine planning in less than even a year and a half!
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, that's very true. We also didn't tell anyone we were getting married until 24-48 hours beforehand lol So, we didn't give anyone much opportunity to protest.
    But we are also old(er), together almost 20 years, and have 2 kids, so no one batted an eye. We figured if we were going to be unconventional we might as well go all in.

I think for a more traditional wedding 1.5 years is good. It allows you to enjoy that transitional period.
  • M
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh of course! When he asked me to marry him we had in our heads july2020 😂then I thought about it- you kinda need money lol and a date and a venue and a dress and save the date cards and invitations lol and so much more!
  • M
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awe congratulations!!
  • M
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    ❤️ good for you!! A lot of people wouldn’t be able to do that, I think a lot of pressure from different sides about having a traditional wedding!
  • M
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!!🥰
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on your engagement!

My FH and I are getting married almost 2 years to after getting engaged. I simply didn't think I could plan a wedding in only a year and we really wanted a fall wedding. It also gives us extra time to save and wait around for promotions, which never hurts.

I think I could have easily planned it in a year and a half and the longer engagement meant waiting over a year to send out Save the Dates, which meant a LOT of pestering us about the date for a year. But I still think we made the right decision for us.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations!
    We'll be engaged for 14 months by the time our date rolls around. We got engaged in early May 2019 and I had always wanted a fall wedding but having only 5ish months to plan made me so anxious! So we landed on a summer wedding since we wanted to have everything outdoors anyway. We've been together 12 years already so waiting another year didn't seem like that long lol we'll be getting married on our 13th anniversary!
  • M
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally get it! I think we feel anxious because we don’t want to wait a year and a half to get married we’re too excited!! But sometimes it’s better to wait. Plus his brother is getting married in August 2020 so we don’t want the weddings to close together
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Mackenzie! Congrats on your engagement!

We were married about 16 months after we were engaged - mostly based on timing, time of year we wanted, etc.

Things to consider are budget, size of guest list, location and availability of vendors you would like. But mostly, just figure out what makes the most sense for the two of you as a couple. There's many spouses to be on here that plan well in advance and some that have a short time frame - either way, we are all here to help!

• Brittany
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations!!

We got engaged in April of this year but we are not getting married until October 2020. The reason for the wait is because we wanted to have a fall wedding (always have!!) but it didn't seem feasible for us to do it by fall of 2019. It has felt a bit long - for me, an ideal amount of time would have been a year. But as I mentioned, that didn't work with my vision of a fall wedding! Hope this helps Smiley smile

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations!! 😁🎉

We got engaged in March 2019 and are having our wedding in April 2020. A year felt like the right amount of time for us to save and move into the next phase of life after the wedding (babies!) I think the financial aspect is the biggest factor to consider when determining the year of your wedding. You'll also have to take into account the availability of your venue - you'll probably have a lot more options in 2021 if you have a particular day or month in mind.
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Mackenzie, congratulations on your engagement.

We had an unconventional engagement and got married 5 weeks after deciding we were going to marry. We did not want a big wedding and just wanted to be married already. It worked for us!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics