Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Eloping questions

Sarah, on May 5, 2020 at 08:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
So we finally made a decision Smiley smile eloping this year, reception next year!

Those who are eloping as well, how did you choose your two witnesses? I didn’t want any friends or family so it’s fair that some didn’t miss out while others did. I wanted the photographer to be our witnesses. But now I’m seeing we need two. How did you pick?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on May 18, 2020 at 14:51
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Can you officiant do it? or a neighbour? or someone from your church or wherever

• Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having the photographer and the helicopter pilot be our witnesses. You won't be able to have the officiant be a witness, but some photographers shoot with an assistant or a second photographer, and in that case you would have your two.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ask your siblings if they will sign as witnesses or friends since you need 2 people other than yourselves. Your reception next year can also be a renewal so you have a wedding party to walk down as formal tradition. It will be nice as guests see you having this ceremony.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Who's your officiant? You can offer him or her to pay two people as witnesses. Some civic centres do that for government building weddings.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I can undesirables that and people will probably complain regardless. At the end of the day it’s your day. Plus they would’ve been the ones signing it regardless. What you can do is have your immediate family only (so parents) watching from further? But honestly do what you feel is best. At the end of the day you want someone’s signatures that matter to you. I personally wouldn’t do my photographer as a witness but that’s me. Whatever you choose it’s YOUR choice Smiley smile be happy and stand your ground. Smiley smile
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is my exact concern as well, is offending family. Ultimately we have to do what’s right for us though!
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is what I was thinking as well. My only concern is I don’t want family to get upset that we had our “friends” and not them. It’s the best option though ?
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I’m not eloping but you could always choose only your best man and maid of honour. Given that they were probably most likely to be your witnesses it makes sense
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would check the requirements for your province. Some places you need to know the person for so many months before, just in case.

We were thinking about using our photographer as well, but we might ask the two friends who would have been our witnesses before. The spot I'd like to use has a local coffee shop nearby and I joked with FH that we could use our photographer and the coffee shop owner as witnesses! My only concern with asking friends is that the people who don't witness might be upset. My fiance's family is in Wisconsin and if they can't come I feel it's only fair that my family doesn't either, but I imagine mom would be hurt if she found out I had friends there instead.
    I've got 4 months to decide, so I might put it off for a while!
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is a fun story!!!
    We were thinking of doing it locally in a forest or on a lake (we live in cottage country)
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Where are you eloping to, like will it be easy enough to grab someone off the street? One of my friends actually did this when they were getting married in Aruba. It made the strangers day and made for a fun story lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics