Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Newbie July 2018 Ontario

Elope or Backyard

Megan, on January 11, 2018 at 07:14 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5
Morning! I have to preface this by saying i feel a tad over the hill here....but here we go haha. We are currently very torn if we should elope or have a small backyard wedding at our home ( we were thinking casual bbq with a side of vows). We are both in our mid to late 40's. His 2nd marriage and my 3rd. Between us we have 3 kids . All teenagers. The struggle is that I would love to elope..take our kids and it's the 5 of us. I had the traditional wedding. He has not. He eloped the 1st time and his family has made it quite clear how upset they would be. He says he would be fine with eloping..however has also said it would be nice to have people around us. He has a larger close family. I do not. Financially we are not in the best position and have our plates full with kids expenses etc. I will not go into debt for this. We could elope and just bring his parents with us. And risk upsetting his siblings (mine are ok with it)...or is there a way to have a small 50 person wedding at home without me having a heart attack ????

5 Comments

Latest activity by Angel, on February 21, 2018 at 07:16
  • Angel
    Newbie November 2018 Ontario
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do what you guys want! I think you guys could have a small backyard wedding for sure but depending on weather you may need a tent .. unless you have a large house. Just have immediate family to downsize!

we had the same issue we were trying to decide which to have and we decided to elope, families important but ultimately the day is only about you and the groom so as long as you’re both happy that’s all that matters

good luck!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can totally host a backyard casual wedding and spend only a couple of hundred dollars, if that! You can ask everyone to bring their own seat and a dish for a potluck and surprise everyone with a wedding lol.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could get married at town hall and then have a backyard bbq 'reception'. Cook your own food, play your own music, and if you want, buy some beer and keep it causal. You could keep it to a few hundred dollars that way. We had an engagement party that was that style and it was very manageable. And a lot of fun!

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could totally do a big BBQ or potluck for 50 people at a reasonable price! We routinely do family dinner and parties for 30ish people at only the cost of food.
    Make it a "bring your own chair and a side dish to share" event. Rent a couple tables (they are only like $10 each). Have a BBQ going. Make a couple decorations to put up and you are all set!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If your ok with casual bbq, make it a potluck with the family. If you feel eloping will cost the same, skip the bbq if some family members won't show up.

I would suggest to compare the costs of rentals and officiant and the city hall cost including a officiant they provide. Some city hall have a seperate chargr foe the room they marry you 2 in.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics