Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jade
Curious June 2021 Alberta

Elope and then reception later?

Jade, on March 26, 2020 at 09:57

Posted in Plan a wedding 46

Hi all! Our wedding is June 26 and with all the craziness going on, I doubt we’ll be able to keep our date. I wanted to know if some brides have considered either eloping or having a super small ceremony with only an officiant and parents (if your area allowed that) and then having the reception at...
Hi all! Our wedding is June 26 and with all the craziness going on, I doubt we’ll be able to keep our date. I wanted to know if some brides have considered either eloping or having a super small ceremony with only an officiant and parents (if your area allowed that) and then having the reception at a later date with the bridal party, cake cutting, first dance, the whole nine yards. We really wanted to celebrate with fam and friends and getting married in June is important to us and we don’t want to wait.
On the plus side, you’d get to where your dress twice! Just something I’m considering at the moment with the ever changing situation. What are your thoughts?

46 Comments

• Jade
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good for you guys! I totally get the elopement thing because it gets to a point where not much else matters except two people who want to get married. Congrats!
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were going to have just a ceremony on April 25, our original wedding date, but since decided that things are changing way too quickly and my mother had a type ofpneumonia a couple years ago and ended up in ICU in a coma for a week. She is going to be very upset but we have decided today we are eloping April 11 and it will be just our officiant and two witnesses, which will likely be RCMP members from the area. I don't want to wait any longer than possible because things are changing far too quickly. We will have a celebration later, but don't know what that will look like at this point.
  • Jade
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have a feeling you’ll be okay, a lot can change before July!
  • Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Getting married July 18, hoping things settle down before then. If not we will getting married in my MIL backyard, with how many people we are allowed, then we will postpone are reception for a later date
  • Jade
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I really hope a month or two makes a big difference and things change for the better!
  • Jade
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awesome you’re not letting it change your date, good for you guys! Congrats and good luck 🤗
  • Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If I was you, I wouldn’t make any decisions until end of April. I have a feeling this will all blow over by then.
  • D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have decided to postpone the big party until next june. We are eloping with a couple friends and our parents if they can make it with out of provincial quarantines. We are eloping on our day june 21st
  • Jade
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agreed! I’m hoping our venue lets us wait until May to decide. They don’t want to cancel either, fingers crossed it works out for both of us!
  • Carly
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am getting married June 26 as well. We are thinking we will wait until April 15(ish) and make the decision then? Hard to know when to "call it".

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Eloping the day of your date chosen seems fair and then having a reception to follow as my in laws did 2 years ago. We are one day away from each others anniversaries. Keeping it small seems fair and then celebrating with friends and family later for reception wearing your dress again. Another way to look at this situation is by postponing the date and still having your day celebrated given the venue is working towards every couple at this time without penalty extra to pay.
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! Same to you!
  • Jade
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes you’re totally right, we still have some time and things change so fast it seems. I’m glad someone else is also considering the same things as me! I think a small reception would be great too, it’s almost somewhat relieving to think about the potential of less craziness during the actual day since wedding planning can be a lot! I guess we‘ll wait and see, hope everything works out for you guys!
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! I am getting married the day after you. If all this still continues then I will have a super small ceremony with immediate family. And honestly, that's what I prefer! I haven't decided yet about the reception party... my two options are either I postpone it to next year OR I will have a small gathering at my house. Still get the cake, still probably have a musician come for our first dance, etc.. BUT.. hoping then to get my deposit back from the venue but I haven't reached out yet. I've been looking on the discussions here and it seems a lot of girls still want to get married on their day and postpone the party. I think that would be completely ok if you did that!

Honestly, we still have a bit of time left.. things can actually get better by then. Apparently there are no new cases in Ottawa and some other places in Canada as well.. I would wait a bit more until you make a final decision - there is still time.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics