Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alissa
Newbie February 2020 Ontario

Eco-friendly Wedding

Alissa, on March 13, 2019 at 16:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
Does anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to make their weddings more eco-friendly? We plan to use all recycled paper & envelopes for the invites, and do digital save the dates and RSVPs. We are also thinking of giving out stainless steel drinking straws as favours to try and prevent guests from using single-use plastic ones on the night of our wedding. We would love to cut waste as much as possible, but it's so hard with everything that goes into a wedding! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on March 16, 2019 at 23:36
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I saw a post the other day where someone hole punched leaves to use as their confetti, I don’t think it gets much better than that lol. Plus it’s a cute idea!
  • Tina
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I second what everyone's said here and I'm gonna add a few thoughts.

Don't focus only on paper. There are plenty of other disposable products that come up at weddings. Candles? A lot of people opt for battery powered ones because some venues dont allow open flame. Maybe its worth it to pay a little extra insurance to have actual tealights.

Dress. Where is it made? You can get some amazing deals online, but they usually come from China.

Speaking of, make sure that the sellers you order from on Amazon aren't resellers from China. Sweatshops and ridiculous packaging are the norm.

Buy local. See if there's an artisan in your town that can make those pomadors you like, for instance. Farmers markets are a great place to find local artists.

Flowers. It may be cheap, but often if you go the DIY route by ordering from Costco, the transport costs (pollution-wise) are astronomical.

Hope this helps.
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If having a DIY wedding I would say hit thrift shops and buy china plates,cloth napkins and maybe some paper straws?Make sure you have a green bin and recycle bins out so that not everything ends up in the trash as well.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're also doing online save the dates and RSVPs! Also...I feel like weddings have gotten very carried away with unnecessary paper products in general (programs, menus, signs..)

Another eco-friendly thing to consider is to buy used decor items from your local wedding facebook group. I've found table numbers, a seating chart, and desert labels at a fraction of the cost (and you cal sell them again after you're done! Smiley laugh)

• Alissa
    Newbie February 2020 Ontario
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for all of your feedback! I will ask the venue not to distribute any straws, and I will definitely consider all of your other recommendstions. Thanks everyone! 😊
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know if you heard/how true it is, but the Ontario government is looking to ban all single use plastics, so this might be a practice by the time it comes to your wedding!!

I love the straw favour idea, ask your bartenders too to not use plastic straws with drink orders - that adds up! I usually ask for no straw with my drinks. I have have a stainless steel spork that I keep in my purse in case I get take out food that usually comes with plastic cutlery.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm planning to ask our venue to have the bartenders not serve drinks with straws! If a guest wants a straw, they can ask for one.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Here’s a great article about eco-friendly weddings in Toronto that might be helpful!

https://www.weddingwire.ca/wedding-ideas/how-to-plan-an-eco-friendly-toronto-wedding--c446
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen people give out seeds with compostable packaging as their wedding favours and I loved it!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well I love that your favours are straws!!! My FH bought one for me that is collapsible and I have it on my keychain so I have it wherever I go!!

As to what else you could do - if you are having any kids at the wedding and are giving them crayons, make sure to clean up the leftovers and donate them. You could offer a mode of transportation to pick everybody up and drive them to the wedding from one meet up spot if it's on the outskirts or something so it's less gas. And if you are having an exit have the guests throw birdseed!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics