Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melissa
Beginner October 2023 British Columbia

Dusk/evening weddings??

Melissa, on October 29, 2022 at 02:25 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 11
My fiance and I are planning on doing an evening wedding in October of 2023! The idea of an entire day of wedding made me feel so overwhelmed. The thought of getting up super early to get ready for a 1pm ceremony then have everyone awkwardly wait around and find lunch while being all dressed up while we pose for awkward photos.. it was not ever something I wanted to do. We're both night time people and I absolutely love the look of candle light and warm glowy fairy lights. We're planning on doing a 7pm ceremony that leads directly into a cocktail style reception around 7:30.
Has anyone else planned an evening wedding?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on November 1, 2022 at 14:03
  • Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That honestly sounds like a lovely day. Lots of people have mentioned 5pm, but I'm really set on having the ceremony after the sun has gone down and since daylight savings time is still a thing, in early/mid October it's still daylight until 6-6:30
    I attached a photo of the vibe I'm going for. We've always been evening people and I love fairy and twinkly lights and candles so much Dusk/evening weddings?? 1

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So we had a late in the day wedding, with our ceremony starting at 515 and it was perfect. I maybe wish we could have started it a smidge sooner, but still had enough time for everything without feeling like we missed out.

I will say tho, despite having a late start, I was still up at 8am to get ready, as we did first look photos prior to the ceremony. 8am allowed me to eat breakfast, have my mom, MOH and myself get ready before we needed to head to first looks. And we even planned for alot of close by location, all being a 10 minute drive away.

Truthfully, it was all worth it, as I saw our first looks as time to spend with my FH and wedding party prior to the big event too. Because ultimately, that was what I wanted out of the day, time spent with those I love most (and you know legally being married hehe)

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The wedding plans are how you two feel it should be for yourselves. Ceremony timing leading into your reception is your day to celebrate your way. The day is yours to do anything you want and in the way of it too without anyone's decision.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement and Welcome!

I've been to two wedding where it was late in the afternoon, and it was fine, I planned to have a quick bit to hold me off before the ceremony. Ceremony was at 5pm and they both had Tapas style eats throughout the evening. it was fun and by the end we were full.

I think late night wedding are fun and romantic, if you have a photographer who has experience in late night photograghy your photos will be just as beautiful.

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Dusk/evening weddings?? 2
    This is going to be roughly what the timeline is going to look like for the evening Smiley smile

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're going to have a social hour around 6pm before the ceremony where snacks will be served as well. We're only inviting close family and friends so I'm not very concerned about people leaving early. We're doing the send off at 11pm so it's not going to be an all nighter by any means Smiley smile
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't have to have a ceremony at 1pm. Most people opting for evening events tend to start at around 4-5pm.

The issue I see with a 7pm start is, you're either forcing people to pre-eat early to get to your wedding or you're making them go hungry until around 8pm when the hors d'oeuvres are served. But this depends on where your venue is as well. If guests have to travel an hour to get to your wedding, they would need to leave their house by 5:45pm latest. Add another hour or so to get ready and you're asking people to eat dinner before 4:30pm. And depending on how late you want your party to go to, if you're not serving dinner portions, people will be tempted to leave early.

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We definitely intend to have lots of food, just not a big heavy sit down meal of meat and potatoes, but I will make sure people know to eat that day lol we don't really think the draw for our wedding is a dinner so much as the celebration.
    Second hot topic: we aren't having a bar! We're doing wine at the tables but no bar. I've had too many parties ruined by drunk people and I don't drink and have family with alcohol related issues
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did not but my SIL did and same with a friend. Totally get the idea and nothing wrong with it - just make sure you make it clear it's not a full dinner. That being said, my friends wedding we were stuffed, but the other we were definitely hungry until late night food came out. Both of their ceremonies I believe were at 6 though.
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! I totally relate to this. I did not at all want a full traditional day with getting up early, etc. etc. so we had an evening reception really from 5pm-11pm and it was beautiful! Mind you hair and make up still started early but it was more casual with my mom and nieces and there were no getting ready photos, bridal party, etc. When 5pm came it just felt like we were going to a party and everyone came ready to party as well. It was beautiful and intimate - I vote dooooo it Smiley smile

We had cocktails and apps. from 5pm-615pm (along with a magician walking around doing strolling magic) and a live band. Dinner was at 7pm and then dancing the rest of the evening : )

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to Weddingwire!! I haven't planned this. Your idea sounds lovely and im sure will turn out amazing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics