Has anyone had a dry wedding ?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Joy, on November 25, 2022 at 13:24
  • Joy
    Frequent user August 2023 Nova Scotia
    Joy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most of the weddings I've been to were, except one where the groom made his own wine, and one with traditional Scottish drinks. Usually it's because the couple doesn't drink, and don't feel it's necessary, as is the case with my fiance and I. We're going to get local sparkling blueberry juice that my mom said tasted kind of like wine, as a way to have something special that you wouldn't have everyday, but not have it be alcohol (I personally can't have alcohol due to chronic illness, and one person I'd be inviting has to avoid alcohol due to issues with addiction, so that's also a good reason why some consider it).

I guess the last one I went to had a cash bar, but hardly anyone used it, so that just solidified for me that most of the people I know wouldn't use bar services (I think maybe 5 mutuals between that wedding and mine bought drinks, which isn't worth it to me when we're looking at around 100 people). Then again, we're also not doing dancing, so it won't be a traditional reception anyway, and we'll make that clear on our website.

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't been to a lot of weddings but none of the one sI did go to were dry. With that being said, it is up to you and your FH, if that is what you wish to have then just be sure to let your guests know as early as possible.

• P
    Curious September 2023 Alberta
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been to a dry wedding due to the couple’s religion. As a guest I missed the option of having a drink, but I respect their reason for having a dry wedding. I agree with what was said before, let your guests know in advance.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's your decision but just make sure you tell your guests well in advance that the wedding is dry without the option for guests to buy their own. Do not spring it on them the day of.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its your call to make it a dry wedding if alcohol is not being served. Indian weddings do have that after the ceremony itself when veg food is served for lunch.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally haven't been to one but if that's what you and you future husband want to do, then do it! It's your wedding day not anyone elses!

• L
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Lily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never personally been to one but I don't see the problem with them!

It's your wedding so you get to decide what happens! I'm of the mindset that if my friends/family members get mad at me for not allowing alcohol then that's they're problem and they don't have to come!

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Welcome to Wedding Wire Oliva, you are in the right place to ask questions, I've seen a few brides and grooms who've had a dry bar.

I other hand decided not to have an open bar, I feel bad but it's just not in the budget, but I do want the option for people to be able to drink.

Congratulations on your engagement!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics