Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brandi
Curious July 2019 Alberta

Drinks

Brandi, on March 5, 2018 at 16:46 Posted in Alberta 0 13
I am trying to figure out what to do for the bar for our wedding. I'm looking at either doing a cash bar and paying for 2 drinks/person or doing a corkage bar and purchasing all of the booze ourselves. There is only about a $200 difference between the 2 options but is it worth saving the $200 and doing the cash bar? What have you done or are going to do at your wedding? What made you choose that option?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on January 4, 2019 at 17:19
  • Amanda
    Beginner June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are doing a sunday afternoon wedding and that sounds alot like what we were thinking of doing for bar - 2 drink tickets per person then cash bar after that.
    How did you go about distributing the tickets?
  • Christine
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are buying our booze and having a loonie/ toonie bar. My cousin did this at her wedding and they made the money back they spent PLUS more. She told me that buying at Costco is the best choice as they will buy back any unopened alcohol.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since we’re having a farm wedding we’re buying all the alcohol ourselves (making our own wine) and having a toonie bar. We’re going to set out drinks for after the ceremony and those drinks will be “on us”.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance's parents are paying for us to have an open bar but before they offered that we were thinking of doing a cash bar and corkage bar mixture. We would have 2 signature drinks (bride's choice and groom's choice) and if people wanted alcohol other than this then they would have to pay for it themselves. We went to a wedding that did this and it worked really well for them.

• Jason
    Curious September 2018 Alberta
    Jason ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks. our is small too 60 people with less than half will actually drink. We've decided on giving out a few drink tickets each for the first couple of hours then cash after

• Brandi
    Brandi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don't think you should feel bad about it. It's about what you can afford. You shouldn't have to go into that much debt just to get everyone drunk 😉. For us the price difference is so small that an open bar will be fine. Plus we are having a small wedding so it works fine.
  • Jason
    Curious September 2018 Alberta
    Jason ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are struggling with this as well. So far we are leaning to providing 2 drink tix p/p then cash bar after that. but we feel bad not opening up but...$$$$

• Brandi
    Brandi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah he might like that. Or he would definitely go for maybe an orange liqueur and something.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh, my husband would love that, he loves lemonaid and fruity drinks! Would your fiance go for a different spin on a vodka lemonaid, like rosemary or mint?

• Brandi
    Brandi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would choose Raspery Vodka Lemonade for my signature drink, but I'm not sure what my Fiance would choose for his. I think they should be light and maybe fruity since it will be the middle of July. Keep it refreshing.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If the difference is only 200 I'd choose the corkage, if you have that to spare in your budget. What kind of signature drink do you think you'll go with?

• Brandi
    Brandi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we are going to opt for corkage. That way our guests don't need to buy drinks while they are there. I think we will do the signature drink idea as well.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We’re doing corkage. It was cheaper than a host bar (our venue doesn’t offer cash bar). I’m not a big drinker and so we are limiting the amount of alcohol we buy in hopes that our guests won’t get out of control.

The downside of corkage is there is a limited number of drinks that can be made. We’re not purchasing all the different liqueurs and mixers. We are basically choosing a few signature cocktails and those will be our mixed drinks. Then we’re buying one or two types of beer and a wine and maybe cider and that’s it, so the variety would be better on a cash bar.

The other nice thing about cash bar is you don’t have to bring all the extras or empty’s with you, you can leave it all there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics