Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Devoted May 2020 Ontario

Dressing shopping online

Kelly, on May 7, 2019 at 04:39 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 13
Thoughts about buying a dress online? I have found the dress that I absolutely love, however its only available online and i haven't been able to find anything similar in any dress salons.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on May 8, 2019 at 13:01
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As Amberlee mentioned, also look into going custom-made! That way you get your dream dress but you know it'll fit/be the way you want it!

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You have plenty of time to get the dress and get it altered if you need to make changes.

• Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I totally agree I have tried on a. Few but still have this dress stuck in my mind! But I am going to keep looking in stores and see if I can find anything or possible create the look I want
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks that’s a good idea, I just figured it would be too pricey going that route
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I’ve been thinking that, I’m just so in love with the dress and the salons have nothing like it
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amberlee - that sounds amazing! So personal and will be just perfect! Smiley smile

• Amberlee
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Amberlee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you really love a dress I say don’t order it online go get it custom made! It’s what I’m doing for my wedding and I couldn’t be happier. I’m a very non traditional bride and couldn’t find a navy blue dress anywhere so I looked a few dress makers up and found a fantastic dress maker who fit my budget and made me the dress of my dreams! Best of all it’s truly your own gown and it will fit you perfectly on your wedding day! Smiley smile

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Kelly,

I think it depends on where you're ordering your dress from. I would definitely look for a reputable store like LULUS, 1861, Morning Lavender, Nordstrom. If you're looking at custom dresses from ETSY, like the other responses.. beware. I've had friends who ordered their bridesmaid dresses and the sizes and color were incorrect. For a wedding dress, I definitely wouldn't risk it since it's like a very important day for you.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think Tori hit the nail on the head, if it's from somewhere generic (i.e. Wish, Etsy) there's definitely the worry of it not showing up or being completely wrong. I'd order now that way when it comes and it's not at all what you thought, you have time to find something else.

Actual dress designers (like 1861.ca) they are usually pretty reliable, but read the reviews carefully! Again, I'd order now and have time to find a plan B if necessary.

Have you had any in-store appointments to try on dresses? I would still go in-store and try on different styles so you know what looks good on your body. Some styles looked good on models, but did NOT work on me. You don't have to buy anything (unless you fall in love) but you get a chance to see what different dresses look like on YOU!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say it depends on where you are ordering from - is it some place like etsy/wish or is it more like a specific designer whose dresses are in store but just not that one? If it's the first - only order if it's not all of your budget and do it ASAP in case it isn't perfect or doesn't show up in time. If it's the second option - I would say it's safe to order it but to still order it ASAP as it's being ordered online.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If it's that perfect! I would order it NOW! I see your wedding is a year out so I would order it asap, see how you like it! If it works, GREAT! If not, you have time to try and sell it and get another one!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am sorry as well, I agree with Kelsie. If you have tried dresses on previously and know that style looks good on you there is more of a chance of it working out, however, sometimes the way online ordering works expectations vs reality are upsetting. I have went to try on sooo many wedding dresses and every designer was different with sizing which was so frusterating. I went to a high end boutique and normally was size 12 and I was a 20 in their store! I was mostly 12-14 in other stores depending on the type of dress.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ahhhh! I don’t want to be a negative nelly but I wouldn’t do that personally.

I ordered a dress months ago for my engagement photos and it looked amazing on the model in photos. When I ordered it - it was awful on me. Alterations wouldn’t have made it better sadly.

I think what you can do is get a picture of the dress and bring it into salons! They can probably find something really similar for you to try on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics