Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kirsten
Frequent user October 2025 Alberta

Dresses for the mothers

Kirsten, on March 15, 2019 at 14:15 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8
Ok so both my mum and my FMIL were teen mum's and will be in their very early 40s come the wedding. I'm not sure what I should do for their dresses because they are still young. They have both carried three kids so I want them to feel sexy and confident without showing too much.
Not sure if that made sense? Opinions?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on April 20, 2019 at 05:38
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ohh if they are in their 40's, I would check out Anthropologie. They always have elegant styles for their formal wear that's classy enough for a mom, yet not outdated. You still want them to stand out apart from the guests, so a bit of sparkle is nice. Look for ones that don't have cleavage to stay on the classy side.

https://www.anthropologie.com/dresses-formal

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I took my mom shopping for her dress and she said she felt old in anything with lace or if it was floor length (she is 46). She also hated anything with too much sparkle because she felt that she was trying too hard to look young. We ended up finding the perfect dress for her, and it’s one she could wear again if she wants!

Dresses for the mothers 1
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding last fall where the MOB wore a dark blue, floor length, satin-y, mermaid cut (I think), cap-sleeved dress and she ROCKED it. I usually roll my eyes a little when I see the "cool mom" types (think Mean Girls) but she radiated sexy and confident and was very very classy.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Some bridesmaid's dresses can also double as MOB/MOG dresses! Some have higher necklines so your moms don't have to worry about showing too much boobage but aren't as matronly as some MOB/MOG dresses out there.

Also try some higher end women's clothing stores, browse the mall, etc!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly! Take a trip with all you ladies out to the Bay! They have some BEAUTIFUL dresses there right now for all ages! 100% you will be able to find something for everyone there!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know exactly what you mean! My mom and I have been browsing online for MoB/MoG dresses and they are so matronly, I don't want to age my (or his) mom.

So far, we've had better success with "Wedding Guests" attire from Laura and Melanie Lyne, as they are a bit more mature without being old.

Inspiration 1 - Simple yet elegant

Inspiration 2 - Who doesn't like a bit of sparkle. I wish my mom was more open to that dress lol.

Inspiration 3 - More sparkle!

Inspiration 4 - I have a soft spot for this style. A friend's mom wore something like this because she was SO proud to have lost weight and wanted to show it off, but still wanted her arms covered and still have some sort of flow to the dress.

Inspiration 5 - Loving the dramatic accent on the one shoulder!!!

Inspiration 6 - Sweet jumpsuit with a nice heel..BOOM. I tried convincing my mom in getting a jumpsuit but she said it was more my style than hers hahaha.

Inspiration 7 - So far, my mom's favourite. Personally, not a fan of the sleeves, but I want my mom to wear something she loves and feels amazing in.

In the end, I just told both moms not to get anything too formal (floor length) or white/cream/blush, and the rest will be up to them! Smiley heart

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think your best option is to do something knee length, maybe off the shoulder? My MIL wants to wear floor-length and honestly it is so aging. Both of our mothers are 53, so they're young enough to have options. My mom has chosen a really beautiful knee-length sheath in midnight blue with silver beading.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Why not make a day of going out to look for MOG & MOB dresses? That way you can have input on what they buy so that it's not too revealing as they are still Mom's - but also not like they are Nuns (not that there is anything wrong with that!!).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics