Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Newbie June 2018 Alberta

Dress style

Terra, on August 31, 2017 at 17:25 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 12
This may be completely personal preference but how did everyone decide on a style of dress. I LOVE the mermaid but can't help but wonder if I'll regret not wearing a "real princess dress" later , when i look back at photos. I didn't expect to love both looks once I started trying dresses on & now I'm stuck. Lol..typical me though. Can't make up my mind. Thanks Smiley smile

12 Comments

Latest activity by Sydney, on September 2, 2017 at 22:52
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds like you've already tried some on, but I would suggest trying on as many styles as possible! I thought I knew 100% that I wanted an A-line dress with long sleeves, and I wanted to stay far away from a ball gown. Once I started trying dresses on, what did I fall in love with? A ball gown. Dresses look totally different on a hanger than they do on you, you might surprise yourself!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went in thinking I wanted an A-line dress with capped sleeves and came out with a fit and flare, hating the original dresses I thought I wanted. I tried on all different styles and then narrowed it down to that type I liked. From there I found the one I knew was meant to be mine!

• Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got lucky and knew the 2nd dress I tried one was the best because it was what I was looking for and every other dress I had tried on after didn't compare.

I wanted something lacey and romantic with straps and a slightly low back in an off white. im getting married out on a ranch so I knew I wanted something not too frilly and comfortable. if I were get married in the winter, on a beach or in a hall im sure I would have changed my style.

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know you're not supposed to show your groom your dress but have you thought about asking him what he style of dress he envisions you in? That might help narrow it down. (And even if he finds out the type of dress you've chosen, it's COMPLETELY different on the day of that it won't really make a difference.) Do you have a venue picked yet? What style of wedding are you having? Outdoor, black tie, casual? That can help narrow it down too. They say to order your dress generally 6-8 months in advance so you still some time to decide!

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I thought I wanted something sleek and simple, but as wedding preparations gathered around me, I realized it was my one chance to wear a princess/ballgown. I knew I wanted something with straps, for comfort, and a v-neck, since that is the most flattering style on me. I ended up with a heavily embroidered, v-neck a-line with a lot of tulle, which they will modify to it puffs out a little at the waist.

If you want mermaid, you should go mermaid. It isn't a common look outside of weddings either. From the way you phrased it, it seems like you know you want a mermaid and expectations are getting in your head.

Also, my MOH told me that in real life, women rarely have that "this is the one" moment. So just pick what is most you and you're most comfortable in.

• T
    Newbie June 2018 Alberta
    Terra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ugh. There's the problemSmiley sad I tried quite a few and always thought I'd have that " say yes" moment. And I haven't. I really love 2 completely different styles. Sigh. I'll keep trying. Thank you everyone 😘
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I knew what style I wanted but tried on a bunch of different ones to make sure. I think you will know when you have put on the one that should be your wedding dress.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I ended up with a dress that was the last style I thought I would like. What I went in wanting is not at all what I walked out of the store with. My recommendation is to try on different styles; you'll then know of you like it or not, but you'll know.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would agree that you should try on all sorts of styles. I tried on multiple styles just to see what they look like, because you might surprise yourself with what you completely love. I have always wanted a ball gown and I wanted that princess type dress and that is what I went with! I was surprised though that a mermaid didn't look half bad on me!

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just tried on a few I thought I'd like and some I wasn't sure of. I knew what suited me before going in. I love mermaid but I wanted to be comfortable to dance all night. I knew as soon as I tried on my dress that it was it. I felt so comfortable and relaxed in it and I started twirling LOL
  • C
    Frequent user November 2017 Ontario
    Chris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted a dress that would not make me looker bigger. I went in open minded tried on A LOT over 75!
    I narrowed it to 10 had a private Facebook group with close friends both make and female and my future mother in law and. Sisters in law got them to weigh in.
    I did majority of my shopping alone which was hard.
    Once people weighted in took some comments with grain of salt same loved strapless some said I look like a man in drag with my broad shoulders.
    I narrowed it to 4 took a close family friend who was also my. first loves ( who died ) sister and we narrowed it 2 I slept on it and then decided.
    I thought I'd get that feeling you see on say yes to the dress where you cry and say this is the one but it did not happen. It was process of eliminationSmiley smile.
    I fluctuated between 2-6 my adult life so thought I would want slim fitting mermaid dress to show off my slim figure. Then I got sick and after chemo and prednisone last 5 years it's been 10-14 size. So I changed to a more flow dress that if I gained weight due to meds it would not bother me as much .
    Years later I did not want regrets and wanted to be comfortable and. Not self conscious on my wedding day. So went with poofy princess dress .
    Pick what feels comfortable to you. My parents like none of the dresses I tried on but I didn't care I picked what felt right to me .
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds like you've already tried some on but if not, I would definitely recommend trying on all types, even if you think you might not like it! I thought I was between an A line and a ball gown and I ended up going with a fit n flare. If you can find a consultant with experience who really listens to you, they can hopefully help you find what you want. I never would have thought to try a fit n flare but as soon as the consultant brought my dress into the room, I knew it was the one!

You can also consider things like season, venue and what you'll be doing to help you decide. If you're going to be doing a lot of sitting or dancing, a tighter fitting dress might not be a good choice and a ballgown would be more comfortable. If you're having an outdoor wedding and find a ballgown with a lot of tulle, I've heard of bugs getting caught in the netting so that might not be the right fit.

I would go more with your gut than worrying about how you're going to feel when you look back. If you love a mermaid and it's the one for you, when you look back at the pictures, you'll just see how good you looked and how great you felt in it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics