Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sheila
Beginner September 2020 Alberta

Dress shopping - too early?

Sheila, on January 29, 2019 at 13:39 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 10

How early is too soon to be buy your dress? I went looking the other day and found one I adored, and was told it may be discontinued within 6 months or so because it is a 2017-18 design.

Our wedding isn't until fall of 2020, and I'm also working to lose some weight before the wedding. With that in mind, would it be crazy to buy a dress this early? And I'm assuming it's a bad idea to buy a size smaller?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on February 11, 2019 at 23:31
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this is a little too early for you to start shopping. Your taste might change, your body might change, and you might regret it. Wait until September to start shopping and be sure to order by November!

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Never buy a smaller size it will just lead to more stress for you.I am getting married in August.2020 and plan on going this August to start my search.I highly recommend going when you can actually afford the dress so you don’t have to worry about it being discontinued before you can buy it.
  • Sheila
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Sheila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the input! I have a lot to think about for sure Smiley smile I appreciate all the advice, it's very reassuring to see all the different ways people are doing this but it works out no matter what.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its definitely never too early. If you are sure that is the dress for you then get it. I wouldn't recommend buying a size down though, its easier to remove fabric then add it. Just be prepared for a few alterations. Its better to have the perfect dress early then not be able to find one and have to settle in my opinion.

• Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Take it from me. It’s never too early. I tried on st least 100 dresses and went shopping more than a years in advance.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is never too soon to start looking. As for buying, make sure it is for sure the one you want. I have heard of people buying super far in advance and then not liking it or finding something better. Go with your gut on that one. I bought my dress in June 2018 for our October 2019 wedding and I love it. It also depends on designers and how long it will take for it to come in! So keep that in mind.
    As for going down a size I would stay away from doing that. When I bought my dress I was the heaviest I have ever been and still went with the size that fit me then! It is easier to take away fabric than add it. Since then I have lost about 25lbs and am not worried about having my dress being taken in!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I bought my dress for my October 2019 wedding in April 2018 but this is me not planning on losing too much weight before the wedding (I'm more focused on toning).

If you think you won't go down more than 2 dress sizes, most seamstresses can take it in up to that point without risking the structural integrity of the dress. I would strongly recommend against ordering smaller in case for what ever reason, you don't lose the weight.

Talk to the bridal salon about your goals too, they might be able to tell you if you should realistically buy the dress now. Hopefully they won't just pressure you into buying right now either.

Keep in mind while this dress may be discontinued soon, you could be the only one really wearing it in 2020, plus the salon might drop the price to encourage sales. On the other hand, designers will also come out with newer styles in a while and you might find something else in a few months.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I gotta say go with you gut here.

I bought my dress at about the 5 month mark, but I had to lay rush fees.

BUT I wasn’t in the mindset to make a decision sooner than that and would likely have changed my mind if I’d purchased in the “regular” timeframe.

So do your research in advance and find a balance between not having to pay rush fees and giving yourself too much time to make your mind.

And if there’s a particular dress that you’ve tried on and know is the one, scour the preowned site’s to get it if it’s out of season
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So my wedding is May 30 2020 and I bought my dress this past October. I wasn't planning on buying a dress that day but i fell in love and the dress was going to be discontinued end of 2018 as it was a 2017 dress.
    Initally I wasn't going to buy it- I thought it was too soon and that i might want to try to loose some weight. The reason I did buy it was because it take 10-14 months to come in as its hand beaded. Now I am super thankful I bought it! In all honesty i may still try to lose some weight but the odds of me going down multiple dress sizes are pretty well zero and we talked about it at the appointment and they said it could be taken in up to 3 dress sizes if need be.
    There are lots of things you need to consider before doing it. Id start by having a honest conversation with the salon and their head seamstress about how long it will take to come in and what are your options alterations wise just in case.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do you want honesty? Because as much as I want to say "if you love it and you know it's the best - go for it! It's never too early to start checking things off your list!", I can't.

IMO, I think the time to start looking is at the 18 month mark but others may disagree. Then, after you have been looking for a couple months in all the magazines and websites - start going to appointments. Most designers just need a year for the dress although there are a few that need a little more or a little less.

If you were just planning on buying the dress and not losing any weight I would maybe consider saying "Well... if the price is right.... do it!" but to commit to something when you could either fall short or go overboard would end up being a waste of money on the dress.

In the end it's up to you, you will be either understanding of what I'm saying - or sad/mad about some of us here saying it's not the best decision. That should tell you what to do though. If you understand, then it wasn't the one. If you can't get over it... it may just be worth the hassle and the risk!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics