Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shannon
Curious July 2018 Ontario

Dress shopping

Shannon, on February 9, 2017 at 22:26 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 47

Hey Ladies!

So I'm going dress shopping for the first time this Sunday. Not going to lie, I'm super anxious. I'm planning to lose 50lbs before the wedding (July 2018) so I'm not sure that this will be much help, but I'm going anyways.

It's going to be hard without my Mom, but I'm also not sure what to expect when they tell me a size. I'm street size 14, and hoping someone can give me some idea of a number to expect so it isn't a blow when they give me that number. I'm a 34G bust, and size 14 in most pants. Any idea what size I may be? I'm already anxious enough, I need some help to calm me a bit.

Also, any other tips I should know of? It's at David's Bridal (I wont be buying, I know they're in Bankruptcy, this is purely to try on). Not sure what to expect!

Thanks!

47 Comments

Latest activity by Shannon, on March 29, 2017 at 12:02
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not sure yet. I haven't committed. I'd like to try on some more yet and don't want to purchase from Davids Bridal since they have been in bankruptcy for years. Still lots of time yet!
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is a beautiful dress and very flattering on you... Is it the one your getting
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ohhhh those would be amazing!!!

Converse brides unite! hahaha Smiley smile

• Jessica
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am wearing converse with my wedding dress! Glad I'm not alone Smiley tongue I used to have this incredible super high top silver ones that I found in Germany so I am hoping to get a pair similar to that Smiley tongue

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love this idea!!! The dress looks amazing on you and i think it will look even better with the colour Smiley smile What good is a dress if it doesnt represent you? Especially if you are someone that doesnt wear dresses a lot. I will also be adding a little touch of my own to my dress Smiley winking
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hear ya! I was a rocker in highschool and every once and I while I get caught rocking out to my 80's hair metal bands !!! Lol
  • Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am a street 10 -12 and for bridal I was 16.

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are so sweet! Thank you!! I would like to be much more comfortable in my own skin so this is why I would like to lose the weight. I know he loves me how I am, but I want to love me too!

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hahaha Yep, I sure do! Keep in mine, I'll be changing it up a bit to be more me! I will be adding the coloured Tulle like in this picture:

Inspiration

I also want to add some beading to the top rather than the belt. I've always had a punkier style and although these days I don't sport the bright hair and studs anymore, it's still inside me. I've gotta make it more me Smiley smile

• Marie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's you that make the dresses look beautiful!
  • Marie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You look stunning! Now stop doubting yourself girl because you have everything to look drop dead gorgeous! When I first read your post I thought you were too hard on yourself like most of us are with ourselves... I don't know how you think you need to drop 50 pounds ... I need to drop double that and you know what since I let go of that thought I feel much happier and less stressed. I used to wear bridal size 22 now 16-18 it's just a number! You are #1 to your fiance and that's what matters!
  • Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just got my dress last week and wasn't expecting to get it that fast or decide that soon but every other dress I tried on, I just kept thinking about the other one. I ended up being a 16 for the order because the 14 was a bit tight but I plan to lose about 15 - 20 lbs maybe so hopefully it will work out. You look beautiful btw.

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You look stunning !!! that dress totally flatters you in all the right ways!! and you look so happy! I Smiley heart it !!!

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You look so great!!!!!! I love it Smiley love

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like this!!! You do look like a princess.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You look beautiful! The dress is gorgeous!!! Smiley smile

• L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You look soooo pretty! ❤❤❤
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh my god! You look beautiful! It fits you perfectly!!! I love it! The back is stunning ! Love the poof in the back!!! You can't honestly tell me you want to wear purple sneakers with that stunning gown, do you? Lol
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Smiley shame He's going to love it! Guys really have no concept of wedding dresses and it's so different the day of that I'm convinced I could have shown my husband me in the dress and he would have still been like "is that the same dress?" Nothings beats when they see you in the dress! So happy for you and glad you're enjoying dress shopping!

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yup! That's why I'm not buying yet. I wanted to try on different shapes and such to see what I liked. Luckily these ones would look good even if I do lose the weight, but if I don't lose quite as much as I'm aiming to, It'll still look good! I've got lots of time, so waiting before I order. Thanks!

• Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would wait until you lose the 50lbs before you get a dress. I made that mistake, I got my dress and loss 40+ lbs, Now I have to get a new dress. It would cost way too much to have the other dress altered. Just sayin.

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's what I totally want to avoid, I see so many brides with dress regret, I don't want to be one of them! He would love it! I've asked him what he expects to see me in and he said "I can't see you in a wedding dress, you're not a dress kind of girl, so I have no idea." He said if it's white and poofy, he would be shocked haha so I think I'll win that way!

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds like it! When you know, you know! And crying is usually a good sign too! Smiley winking But I think it's a good idea to try on a few more if you want just to be sure. Then you won't have any dress regret! But this dress is definitely so great on you! Do you think your fiance would like it?

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Samtam! I appreciate your kind words and support!! I keep going through the pictures, and keep coming back to this one. Might be a sign?

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Omg that dress is stunning! You look so beautiful and so happy in it! I'm so glad to hear that you had a great experience! Smiley shame

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Stephanie!! I was so worried to be honest! I did have a breakdown at one point without having Mom there, but I could also feel her there. I wore her rings as well to ensure she was there in an extra little way too. I honestly expected most of the dresses to look terrible, but they all looked pretty good!

• Stephanie
    Devoted June 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Glad you had a positive experience!!! I love that dress on you, and I'm happy that you feel like a princess!!!
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you so much!! There are some changes we would make to it, but it makes me feel like a princess!

• Cassandra
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Shannon:

Hey Ladies!

Sorry I didn't check in sooner, yesterday was crazy busy and I ended up going to bed right when I got home and now today I'm stuck with a migraine (greaaat). But, it went so well! I didn't get a chance to try on my dream dress, but that's okay! I think I may have found my dress! I'm hesitant to fully commit as I would like to try on some others just to be sure, but the dress made me cry, so I think that's a good thing.

We even ended up going to 2 bridal shops instead of just one! Going through all the pictures is awesome because I can look back and compare them side by side! I also can't believe how much it upped my confidence. I expected each dress to make me look fat, and flatter all the wrong spots, but none of them really did. They all looked great! Which, I'm happy to say I feel a lot more confident, also when they said I was bridal size 14, I was so happy! That's WAY lower than what I was expecting! I am so thankful for all you wonderful brides who have helped me through these things, you truly are the best! I've attached some pictures since I want to share them somewhere, and I know he wont see them here!!

My favourite so far

My favourite so far

Back view

Back view

Feeling like a princess

Feeling like a princess

looks amazing on you!

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Ladies!

Sorry I didn't check in sooner, yesterday was crazy busy and I ended up going to bed right when I got home and now today I'm stuck with a migraine (greaaat). But, it went so well! I didn't get a chance to try on my dream dress, but that's okay! I think I may have found my dress! I'm hesitant to fully commit as I would like to try on some others just to be sure, but the dress made me cry, so I think that's a good thing.

We even ended up going to 2 bridal shops instead of just one! Going through all the pictures is awesome because I can look back and compare them side by side! I also can't believe how much it upped my confidence. I expected each dress to make me look fat, and flatter all the wrong spots, but none of them really did. They all looked great! Which, I'm happy to say I feel a lot more confident, also when they said I was bridal size 14, I was so happy! That's WAY lower than what I was expecting! I am so thankful for all you wonderful brides who have helped me through these things, you truly are the best! I've attached some pictures since I want to share them somewhere, and I know he wont see them here!!

My favourite so far

My favourite so far

Back view

Back view

Feeling like a princess

Feeling like a princess

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Shannon! How'd it go? I hope you had a good time! Smiley smile

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    4! Omg! I going crazy just saving to pay for 1 dress!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics