Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leanna
Curious September 2019 Alberta

Dress Shopping

Leanna, on August 30, 2018 at 14:13 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 7
I'm going dress shopping for the very first time this weekend! Any tips or advice?! Thanks!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Shelby, on August 31, 2018 at 04:17
  • Shelby
    Curious August 2019 Alberta
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just went the other day. I went to 2 shops. The first one I liked bits and pieces of dress but not one entire dress. I tried on every style just to see what was me what ones I was more drawn to. Initially I liked the more form fitting (before I actually tried anything on) when I got there and tried them on I decided I liked the more flowy ones. The second day at the second store. They had very different designers and I feel in love with almost all the entire dresses. When it came down to the crunch I was stuck between 2. One that everyone else loved more and one that I personally loved. They took pictures of me because sometimes i feel you can see yourself better and how it actually looks through a photo. The one everyone else liked was more flattering. It took a good 30 min of me debating which one. So finally I decided if I were the buy the one everyone else liked I knew I'd regret not buying the one I was attached to.. so i went with my heart and gut. Knowing what alterations I wanted to do to make it even more flattering and I'm still happy with my choice!! I wish you the best of luck!
  • Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Go with a complete open mind. Try things on you never seen yourself in. You will find something you love. People say to have an idea before you go into a store. But that never works
  • Amanda
    Newbie May 2023 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you're living in Toronto, Ontario. On the September 7,8,9 weekend they have a bridal show at the metro conversation centre. Look at the website and see if it's interesting enough to go.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In my experience, this is the best advice I can give.
    1. Have an open mind! Try a lot of different styles on! Try on ones that you think look ugly on the hanger. You’ll be shocked by how different they are on. I didn’t like my dress at all until I tried it on
    2. Trust your consultant! They know what their doing. Let them pull a couple dresses for you! You’re there to have fun and try on whatever you want! That’s the fun in it!
    3. DONT WEAR A THONG! I had to apologize profusely as I didn’t have time to go home and change and a lot of dresses tie up from top to bottom. That lady seen a lot of my bum that night.
    4. Don’t go with to many people. I brought my MIL and my mom. To many opinions get thrown around and you want to be confident in your decision.
    5. Don’t let people’s reactions or opinions sway you from making the choice you wanted. I almost allowed that to happen and I’m so glad I didn’t!
    I hope you have a wonderful time!
  • Samantha
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Try things on whether or not they fit the style you picture on yourself for your big day.

Something that made my dress shopping experience better was also having fewer people with me while trying them on. I had my mom and MOH, and then I showed the dress to others; my grandmother, aunt, etc.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

100% agree with Brittany. Keep a very open mind with everything. I tried on every shape and ruled out what I hated.

I went in wanting a flowy light dress that didn't hug any of my curves, left with a fit an flare.

Do not feel pressured when someone cries when you walk out in a dress and you don't hate it. My grandma bawled when I walked out in a huge puffy ballgown because it made her think of when I was little, had to explain to her thats not what I wanted.

Have fun and try different things, you never know what you might leave with!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Try on everything! Especially if your consultant suggests it. They look different when they are on than on the hanger. I went in wanting sleeves & lace, and left with strapless and loaded with sparkle!

Most importantly, have fun. Those dresses on the hanger are for the general population, not you specifically, so don't ever feel discouraged if something doesn't look quite right, or doesn't fit. It just means it's not for you.

Also, when everyone starts crying and you don't want to take off a dress, stop looking! Haha. Don't confuse yourself by continuing to shop after falling in love with a dress.

HAVE FUN! Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics