Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Carly
Curious September 2020 British Columbia

Dress regrets

Carly, on September 18, 2019 at 17:12 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 15

So lately I've been feeling a little unsure of my dress. When I bought it I loved it but now I'm not so sure. Since I started wedding planning a year ago one of the few details I knew right away was that I wanted my hair half up half down with a braid. Well my dress has an allusion back with a bit of lace and beading on the back. My sister mentioned how I should have my hair up because of the detailing on the back of the dress and how if I had my hair down that it could cover it. I have been looking at updo's and I just feel I don't love anything I find. It's all just ok and I want to love the way I look on my wedding day.

Now I'm worried I rushed buying my dress since I bought it at the first store I went to and canceled the other appointments I had made. A little back story I bought my dress back in May and we had just found out my mom was sick but we weren't sure yet how bad it was or what it was. I had booked appointments in May, June and July since I wasn't in a rush to get my dress. I just feel like now did I rush buying something since I was worried my mom might not have made the other appointments and I didn't want to shop with out her.

I am just feeling a little disappointed in myself I guess and really unsure of what to do or where to go from here.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Becky, on October 2, 2019 at 09:28
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wear your hair the way you want. I had a open back dress and people told me to wear my hair up- I hate my hair up. I wore it down and you could still see the back fine.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh no sorry to hear!! can you sell this dress and find a new one? can you do a hair trial with the dress you have and see how it looks?

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You should for sure!
    I hope you fall in love with it all over again! Smiley heart

• Carly
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Amanda! That is true just because it's their doesn't mean I have to show it. I think in the next few weeks I am going to go back and try it on again.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one who started regretting their dress purchase, or thought about it at least.

I also bought my dress from the very first store I had walked into. I loved it, the price was right and it was the last dress in CANADA for that style because it had been discontinued. I wasn't sure a million percent if it was the one, but I couldn't let it go to find out it was then regret not buying it when I had the chance, so we got it!

I am 10 months out from my wedding now, and of course I see magazines, pictures on social media and I start wondering if I rushed it. Should I have waited to go to some other stores?
    I got so nervous about this that I went to try it back on because the pictures I had didn't do justice. I literally tried it back on yesterday and my mind was quickly set to ease.

I fell in love with it all over again and knew that was the right dress! I think you should maybe put it back on again, do your own hair with some different styles and see what you like best! Just because there is beading on the back of your dress doesn't mean you HAVE TO show it.

• Carly
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s true! I usually have my hair to the front anyway. But yes your right I hope they pay more attention to my face and dress as a whole.
  • Carly
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much Lisa! I think your right once I’m in the moment and see everything come together it will be much better.
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Carly,

I also bought my dress at the first appointment over a year before our wedding. I was confident and excited at first, but often second guessed over the last several months - thinking I should have looked at more dresses, other bridal salons, etc. I even went dress shopping with my niece and a friend that are both getting married in 2020 and kept thinking about it then as well. I had even had a hair and makeup trial that I wasn't too sure of... On the day, I asked for some adjustments to hair and make up to ensure it was exactly what I wanted, and once I put the dress on, I was 100% certain that this was my perfect dress! Hang in there - I totally understand how you feel, but I'm sure it will feel better and will be the right dress!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that as long as you still feel like this is the dress you can picture walking down the aisle in and getting married to the love of your life - then it's the right dress.

I also have an illusion back, but I know right now that I want at minimum half up and half down or ALL down. I can move my hair to the front for pictures! Besides, hopefully people look at the whole dress but mostly my face! lol

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds a lot like nerves. I can honestly say that there has been a few times I was in a panic thinking will I still like it once I see it again, will it give me that same feeling? Or will I hate it and be stuck with it. I think a lot of the worry comes from it not being here (hanging in my closet) but at the dress shop waiting for when it is time for my alterations. So I can’t just admire it or try it on when no one is around, if that makes sense. Once you try it on again get all your accessories on all that worry will go away.

Have you thought about a side swept look for your hair? Something like these:

Side swept loose braidDress regrets 1Dutch braidDress regrets 2

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah im sure is just nerves. Im sure the dress looks gorgeous on you.
  • Carly
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much! I think that I will have that too. As soon as I see it all together I think I’ll feel much better
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also thought I bought the wrong dress. I was having nightmares about it. But once it was altered we dolled me up in all my accessories and I had a moment of oh yeah this is totally my dress. Perhaps that would make you feel better.
  • Carly
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I still love it and it makes me feel like a bride. I guess I am just having a hard time envisioning myself with my hair up. I've found a few things I like but I'm just not sure it would look good on me. But I do agree with you that having my hair up would help avoid getting hot and sweaty.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Does your dress make you feel like a bride? Do you still love it? Or are you just not liking it because you can’t wear your hair the way you imagined?
    Could you do half up but off to the side so that your back is still open to show off the dress?
    The best thing about having your hair all up is you don’t have to worry about getting hot and sweaty dancing!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics