Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Newbie September 2023 Ontario

Dress Mishap - advice?

Mallory, on June 30, 2023 at 08:01 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 6
Hi all! I am getting married this September. I have a ceremony and a reception dress, my reception dress was purchased at a sample sale and therefor needed to be dry cleaned. I took both dresses to the bridal boutique I purchased my ceremony dress at, as they do cleanings and alterations. I had my first alterations appointment last week and tried on my dresses. First one went great, the second one…. Well when they cleaned the dress they shrunk it. The hem shrunk up about 6 inches (thankfully it was far too long so the length is actually okay) but the boobs were also so tight. I’ve had to have the seamstress cut in the sides to give me some room in the chest. My issue is, I am paying for the alterations that need to be done in order to fix what happened to the dress after shrinking. I am not paying for the cleaning, however, I don’t think I should be paying for the alterations related to the shrinking either (over $400), any thoughts? Should I say something? I’m not very confrontational so haven’t spoke up yet, and am not sure if it’s worth it.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Kelli, on July 15, 2023 at 13:45
  • Kelli
    Frequent user September 2024 Alberta
    Kelli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with everyone’s assessment of the situation. You should definitely write to them and express how you feel it’s unfair to pay for alterations that they caused. As Mila said it’s definitely a must, to have proof of communication. Since they admitted to causing the shrinking and it would be completely unnecessary for you to pay for there mistake.
  • Mila
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Mila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with everyone, absolutely say something and if possible in writing. It’s nice to have proof of communication to provide to anyone who may need it at a later date.
    Confrontations can be so hard! You’re in the right, hope this knowledge makes it a little easier. Best of luck!
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Agreed, very reasonable for you to speak up and not have to pay for alterations because of their screw up. Good luck!
  • Stevie
    Frequent user September 2023 Ontario
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely! If they went as far as to admit they need to fix the shrinkage they caused, there’s no way you should be paying for it! I would even send them an email so that you have the request and answer in writing. Good luck!
  • M
    Newbie September 2023 Ontario
    Mallory ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No it wasn’t tried on beforehand infront of them but the seamstress acknowledged they had shrunk it and that the chest not fitting is due to the shrinking. I also have pictures where you can clearly see it fits and after the shrink the chest was at least 2 sizes too small. And I’ve lost about 15 lbs since the picture was taken so it’s clear the it wasn’t me who grew. I will likely say something at my next appointment. Thanks!
  • Stevie
    Frequent user September 2023 Ontario
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would definitely say something. Did you try it on with them before they washed it. Did they see it fitting well before the wash?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics