Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Curious October 2025 Ontario

Dress Matching Venue Rule?

TayCath36, on June 5, 2018 at 21:29 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19

How important is the "your bridal gown should match the venue" rule?

I'm going to wear a ballgown.

My ceremony will be in a church and then our reception will be in the banquet room of a small inn.

19 Comments

Latest activity by BunnyBride, on June 21, 2018 at 11:26
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had not that rule before, but have heard a similar guideline which is the style of the dress should be to the level of the wedding (causal, elegant, black tie, etc)...similar to what Breanne posted about.

My thoughts are: As long as you are comfortable and it is what you and your FH want for your big day, go for it!

• T
    TayCath36 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm a perfectionist so I love rules.

That said, I can appreciate and even envy the fact that most people are not as rule bound as I am.

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a thing?! LOL

I never even knew that!

I'm just wearing the dress I want no thoughts to the venue(s) - I think you should do the same Smiley smile

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's a hard rule by any means but I believe most of the time it just works out because of your vision for the day.

For example - if you dream of a simple, romantic backyard wedding with barbeque and fire pit I have rarely seen the bride be the type to want the beautiful princess ballgown. On the other hand that type of dress usually goes perfectly for a bride who chose a glamorous ballroom or a really romantic setting.

I think the dress generally encapsulates your vision for the day and as a result matches the theme - which the venue is also chosen to be a part of.

I think a ballgown in a romantic inn sounds perfect

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m wearing the same type of dress to the same types of venues and honestly I don’t really care if they match (even though I think a ball gown fits with a church)!
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I honestly didn't thought of matching my dress to the venue. But it kinda worked out because I wanted classic and elegant as a theme so my venue and dress fall on that category. So as long as you have a look that your going for with your dress and your decor, i think it'll be ok.
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve definitely heard this before and wondered about it myself. That was one of the reasons that I wanted to wait to have a venue in mind before seriously dress shopping (but ended up finding the dress before he venue, so go figure!). I think what ultimately matters most is that the dress match you and your personality, your style. And if you can imagine yourself wearing it and feeling like a queen/princess/etc and walking down the aisle in it, then that trumps all else. Like someone said, people tend to avoid ballgown dresses for a beach wedding but if that’s what you want, then you do you Smiley smile a friend gave me great advice when I was worried about and she told me that the wedding planning and the wedding are about you and your FH, so do what makes you happy!
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope, doesn’t matter
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't realize this was such a big thing. I personally say wear what you want/love. no one is going to think do you match.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a lot of it comes from having a certain 'feel' or 'vibe' in terms of matching.

For example, our overall feel for everything is classic, vintage and romantic. So our venue is a 1920s stone manor house, and my dress is simple with lace details.

• T
    TayCath36 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm surprised that nobody has ever heard of this rule because it's all over the place.

https://www.bestforbride.com/bridal-shop/29/perfect-pairings-matching-wedding-dress-style-venue/ This is from a bridal store.

https://www.brides.com/story/wedding-dress-styles-for-every-venue From a bridal website

https://www.the-italian-villa.co.uk/a-change-of-wedding-dress/ This is a British website.

https://www.theknot.com/content/vera-wang-wedding-dress-match-your-venue Vera Wang explaining why a bridal gown should match the venue.

These are just four websites but you get the idea.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't know there was a dress matching venue rule Smiley xd I feel that you can wear what you like and it will be beautiful Smiley smile.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that the matching of venue is mostly meant for things like don't wear a humongous ball gown with a long train - for a beach wedding. And even with that - if you don't care that the dress were to get all sandy then who cares? Wear what you feel best in.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pick things you like and everything will feel harmonious. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules anymore about things "matching" so much.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Meh. Pick the dress you like and the venue you like regardless of whether or not they match....

That being said i for sure picked a short dress because i plan on running around barefoot in our backyard reception all day and i know i would destroy a long dress. So i would say my dress is more on the less-formal side, (but still clearly wedding dress) and matches my venue well!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know what you mean when you say this, but I don't think it's set in stone. When people say this, I think they are referring to something more like, consider how a bedazzled ball gown would suit a backyard BBQ wedding, or a simple sheath dress might be underwhelming in a big ballroom...
    What you're describing sounds totally fine, and the most important, you are happy and comfortable in your dress. Your happiness and confidence will shine in any venue.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never heard of that either. I'm wearing a fit and flare all lace dress. My ceremony is outside in a courtyard and my reception in also inside of a ballroom.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have never heard of that before.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've never heard of that. In my opinion you should pick the venue you love and the dress you love, seperate not based on it they "match". I think no matter what you pick it will match to be honest.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics