Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leanna
Curious September 2019 Alberta

Dress Hem/changing Shoes

Leanna, on August 15, 2019 at 10:22 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8

Hi everyone!

I'm 6 weeks away from my wedding and just had my first dress fitting yesterday. I'm wearing the most comfortable pair of 4" wedges to start the day. I plan on wearing them for pictures and through the ceremony. Only issue is I have trouble physically dancing in them! I suppose I can keep practicing, but no luck so far. My plan was to change into 3" heels that I can dance in, especially for our first dance.

My seamstress informed me that I will most likely trip in my 3" heels for the dance, since the hem is fitted to match the 4" heels. I'm just wondering if anyone else did or is experiencing the same problem? My dress is an a-line/ballgown shape so it poofs out a lot at the bottom. I thought I would be okay with only 1" difference, but now I'm worried.

Any advice?

Thanks!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Amie, on August 15, 2019 at 21:10
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry the photo didn’t load but you get the idea that I had to lift my gown

Dress Hem/changing Shoes 1
  • Amie
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Happy to help. This is how I was walking everywhere
  • Leanna
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Leanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh thank you! No, I dont care at all if it gets dirty. Luckily everything is indoors. I was just worried I'd be tripping in it, but again it poofs out a lot so I think I will be okay.
  • Amie
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey!
    I can speak on this because my dress and ball gown skirt were hemmed for 5” heels. I almost had to kick my ballgown as I walked down the aisle because it was so big. **kicking it while walking down the aisle helped A LOT**

Anyways, after the church, I changed into wedge sandals that were maybe 2”. The skirt dragged and I had to hold it up while I walked but it was worth it having comfortable shoes. The bottom of my dress and my skirt were filthy because we had an indoor/outdoor reception at a Golf and Country Club. Our photos were also taken at the botanical Gardens so I was essentially hiking in the forest.

So if you don’t mind a dirty dress bottom then you will be fine. Be careful though because my shoes were shorter, my dress and train dragged a lot and as a result, my dress got ripped... in five places. In hindsight, I should have asked my bridesmaids to help me more but I didn’t want to be demanding.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would see if you could get it hemmed to fit both lengths. So just a tiny bit shorter when you are wearing your ceremony shoes.
    I will most likely be changing into flip flops for the reception, and my dress just barely hits the ground once it is all bustled
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in 3 inch heels for ceremony/photos and then changing into 1 inch wedges for dinner/dancing. I'm having my seamstress hem it to the 1 inch shoes - mostly because I don't care if 2 inches of my shoes are seen lol.

I'd rather have my dress too long than be tripping over it the rest of the night.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would maybe have it hemmed a half inch shorter to meet in the middle of the difference between the shoes. Not sure how else you could fix that other than to have it hemmed for the 3 inch heels. I think slightly too short would be better than too long especially since its poofy.
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If it's a ballgown, and only 1" difference, it shouldn't be much of an issue, since it poofs out. You could always have it shortened a bit, but I'm not sure how much that will cost, or if it's worth it. For your next fitting, take both pairs to try on! Don't let it stress you out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics