Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

NATASHIA
Curious July 2021 Ontario

Dress assistance

NATASHIA, on May 7, 2019 at 12:35 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 12

Good day, me again. I hope I'm not posting too much, I'm just completely clueless and new in my town so I don't have anyone I can turn to for advice/information.

I'm looking at having my wedding either in water or by a waterfall. It's just going to be parents at the ceremony (reception is at a later time) so I'm torn. I feel like if I get a formal "real" wedding dress it's a waste of money since it's only for the one day and it's such a small group of people. Not counting my FH and I, there will be seven parents. I've found a few more formal dresses I like as well as a couple short dresses.

I am also concerned about dress choice, I am a foot shorter than my FH and I worry that if I wear a short dress I will look even shorter than him. I am so lost when it comes to dresses.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Toni Rose, on June 8, 2019 at 17:19
  • Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely go to different stores and try on anything you can envision getting married in. You dont have to go to bridal shops but try bridesmaid dresses, prom dresses, evening gowns or go super casual with a summer dress, cute rompers or a maxi dress!

I've also seen some places that will rent wedding dresses or purchase them secondhand. Really good option if you dont want to spend a lot of money on a dress you'll wear once.

My FH and I are eloping at City Hall in May front of our parents and best friends and I didnt want to wear my actual wedding gown (our actual wedding is in october). I ended up picking a very short flowy white summer dress that cost $120 and my FH even helped picking it out!! Best part is I can wear it again after the wedding Smiley laugh

• NATASHIA
    NATASHIA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Maegan, I appreciate your advice. I've started to look into bridesmaid dresses.

• NATASHIA
    NATASHIA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow! this dress is stunning, thank you so much for the advice!

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wear whatever makes you happy! I decided to go with a tea length dress and I’m only 5’1 and I absolutely loved it! I think shorter dresses are a fantastic option especially if you are going in the water!

Additionally, saving money on a ‘traditional’ wedding dress by getting something a little less formal is a great idea. I know a lot of women who have gotten bridesmaid dresses in white and used as a wedding dress and they were stunning! So something like that is always an option!
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Natasha,

I think go with your gut feeling. If you decide to not get a huge poofy dress, you always have the option to get a white dress with lace. Check out LULUS, they have a wedding section for small weddings/destination styles that won't break the bank. My bestfriend recently purchased a beautiful lace dress from them for her wedding next year. She's about 4ft11. They also sell shorter dresses which are SOO elegant!

LULUs wedding dressDress assistance 1

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol that's awesome! I was trying to figure out if Thunder Bay was where you moved to or the town you moved away from.

• NATASHIA
    NATASHIA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much Casey, I really appreciate your input. I definitely do not want to float away or if I fall in the water (somehow) sink.

• NATASHIA
    NATASHIA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much! I appreciate your input!

• NATASHIA
    NATASHIA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I may have done a wee bit of creeping on your page. We live in the same city!!

Thank you for you input!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We all all here to hear about your upcoming wedding and help with anything you need! don't apologize ! Glad we are able to help you out and get to know you.

Welcome to the wedding wire community Smiley smile

I agree with Casey, pick something that will make you feel special even if its not the typical wedding dress. Its your day so wear what you want!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with what Casey has said, Find something you feel like a bride in, even if it's not a "real" wedding dress. If you like the looks of a short dress then go for it! You won't look more short than you are with your FH.

I know that moving really is difficult especially since you don't know anyone in your new town. I moved to my current city 6 years ago for university and being a university town, a lot of my friends moved back home after graduating whereas I stayed. However, I feel like the Wedding Wire community ladies are great friends who are helpful with wedding planning.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No need to apologize! There is no such thing as posting to much on this community. We are all here to help in whatever way we can! Smiley smile

My biggest advice when it comes to dress shopping, is finding something that you feel like a bride in. You can buy a white dress for any occasion, but you want your wedding one to feel special, and be able to picture yourself marrying your FH in it!

I saw a couple that I went to high school with who just got married, and she was really short, and he was really tall. She did a tea length dress and it looked beautiful on her, and she didn't look super short at all.

If you are doing your wedding in the water, a short dress may be a good idea so you don't have to worry about something longer getting caught on anything in the water, or floating away!

Try on as many dresses as you can, both short and long, and many different styles. See what you prefer and go from there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics