Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becky
VIP September 2019 Ontario

Dress Alterations- Costs

Becky, on July 12, 2019 at 11:41 Posted in Wedding fashion 1 10

Hey Everyone!

What have been the average alterations costs for you?

I recently dropped off BM dress for a wedding I am in and had one inch to be taken in from each side and one inch hem- I was pretty upset when got the price for it. She couldn't give me an estimate before hand as she said she wouldn't know until she completed it.

I am nervous to use the same person for my wedding dress as she won't give me quote. So I am going to pick it up if she can't give a quote and take elsewhere to get an idea. I just don't want surprises and I am on a tight budget. I will pay the amount if the person is good at their job- I am not saying she isn't but I need a rough idea and kinda freaking out!

How would you approach this situation?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Katelyn, on July 31, 2019 at 00:23
  • Katelyn
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My alterations cost $500, which was mostly due to the fact that there’s 5 layers on my dress, one of which is horse hair. And I need to get it adjusted again before my May 2020 wedding, because I’ve been losing weight (as planned)😅
  • Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your advice! I was able to figure out something with the seamstress and she at first didn't get why I was asking and nicely explained. She gave a ballpark and said this is what i should be if no more alterations needed.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had 7 bustles put in, about 2 inches taken off the straps, an inch on either side taken in, hem and lace touchups for $406. Bridesmaid dress taken in about half an inch on either side and a good 5 inches taken off the bottom was $101. I needed a second alteration for my wedding dress to add 2 more bustles and a tissue pocket sewed into my boob area. That was about $55.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dress to get it taken in about an inch or so as well as getting the belt sewn on cost $190 after tax. This would have also included adding in cups but I didn't need this. I also didn't need a hem because it was a tea length dress.
    I'd tell her everything you need, show her the dress and ask for a rough estimate. I had one seamstress estimate between 250-350 so she may be able to give you a wide price range estimate.
  • Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was told by several people beforehand to budget for $500, as that seemed to be the average (of course if you're having a lot of work done, it would likely be more). My alterations are costing $450, so fit right in with my budget. The straps are going to be taken in a bit, a bustle added, and the length adjusted - which is a lot of work as the bottom is covered with lace applices, all of which need to be hand removed and sewn back on individually, INCLUDING hundreds of little sequins. Not easy.

However, I would NOT be ok going forward without a quote, particularly if you felt overcharged before. I'd find someone else.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice since my bridal boutique is charging me mad money for my alterations ($1000 + tax fml). Mind you, they're letting my dress out, hemming it, basically taking mine apart and building it back so I won't need a corset for the back. My girl is talented as hell.

I think you pay for what you get and you should only pay what you feel comfortable with. Absolutely get a quote first, then decide if you're going to go with them for your alterations.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I paid $500 for my alterations. I had my dress hemmed, some beading fixed, the bust area brought in a lot, and the zipper let out & a bussel added

• Dionne
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My alterations for my gown cost $595 plus tax for shortening 5 layers of skirt, take in the hips and waist, adding cups and re-adjusting the straps. My dress has a lot of crystal beading all over the bodice and straps. I expect it to look perfect for that price! Bridesmaid dress alterations at the same salon were $179. My squad are taking their dresses to stitch it. They have a formal dress alterations person and will be much less expensive for just a good a job.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For the BM dress she charged me $200 to take in an inch on each side. So was nervous what she would charge me with the dress when had inch each side, cups, bussle, and hem... I am hoping we can talk today when pick up the bm dress and she will give me some type of an idea of costs

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My seamstress charged me $600. My dress needed an inch taken in on each side, cups put in, a bustle, a hem, and because mine is a lace overlay she would have to lift the lace to do everything, so it taking her quite a bit of time. I think it really depends on the seamstress, and your dress.

My girlfriend just got a bridesmaid dress altered from a local tailor, and she got it done within a day and I think only cost her $100 ish.... Check out local people and see if they might be cheaper.

If she does a good job, I would say go for it, it would be worth it in the end for me to have it be a little more expensive, but a good job

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics