Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Curious August 2021 Ontario

Dress alterations

Trish, on November 26, 2019 at 19:11 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8
Hello!!
I bought my dress in August and should be getting it shortly. I’ve been looking at the pictures and am starting to think I don’t like the bottom. Now, I’m no seamstress lol. But is it possible to remove the OUTTER layer of fabric??

There is a top layer with ahorsehair braid hem and is cut on an angle to create movement but it bothers me that it’s only one random piece and everything else is the same length. (Pic included)
I may love it again when I put it back on but I just want to know if there are some options available. Dress alterations 1

8 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on November 27, 2019 at 16:03
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When you pick it up try it on and if you dont like it ask the seamstress while youre there what they can do to fix it

• T
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks everyone! Sometimes just sending the thoughts into the universe helps calm me down! Hahaha I may go in and see if I can try it on again or just wait it out a bit as they said it would be done by Dec. either way I gotta stop looking at pics online lol
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the others. Try your dress on and see how you feel. Like Amelia said, sometimes the photos on the designer's website don't do the dress justice - usually the models are size 0 (some like Maggie Sottero have curvier models now). so you can't get a feel of how it'll look on YOU.

If the outer layer still bothers you, let your seamstress know - they might be able to figure something out for you.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely try it on and do some serious thinking. It’s always easier to take something out than add it back in!
    Depending on how it has been sewn together, you’d have to ask your seamstress if it was added overtop or attached with the skirt (meaning the whole bottom would have to come off and get reattached). That could cause some issues.
    What you could try is a less noticeable trim along the bottom so it doesn’t draw your eye as much. Something thin and matte to just define the edge instead of highlight it
  • D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If your anxious go try it on again! If you get into it and it doesnt bother you, just chalk it up to nerves! I started to worry after five or so months after i ordered my dress so i went back and tried on the sample and what i was nit picking in my head was not noticeable with it on and i didnt want to take it off. My dress arrived this week and i love it more!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The pictures of mine on the Maggie Soterro site do not do my dress justice. If that had been the first image I saw I never would have tried it on. So much better in person! The photos of me in it are better, but they still don't compare to it in person. So I would try not to dwell on the photos.
  • T
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks!!!
    I think it’s because so much time passes between initial try on and actually getting it! I’ve had time to narrow in on things 😂
    I love the dress...I felt amazing in it! And that piece didn’t bother me at all until I saw pictures
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Put it on again and try not to zoom in on that one spot. If you're still worried call a seamstress and explain your work,they will want to see the dress to assess what can b e done.

Odds are it's not as bad as you think!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics