Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

Dream honeymoon destination vs. reality

Stephanie, on May 21, 2018 at 03:31 Posted in Honeymoon 0 23

We booked our honeymoon yesterday! We are renting an Airbnb on an island off BC. It says it's private, close to the water (although not right on the water according to pictures!), and neither of us has been there before--three things we were looking for! I am excited for it, however, it wasn't my dream honeymoon! My dream destination is Tahiti! It's tropical, beautiful beaches, private lodging; I fell in love with it doing a project for French class in university! But, it is really pricey! And requires a passport (which I do not have at the moment as mine expired!)

How close would you say your dream honeymoon is to what you actually are doing (or did)?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Sydney, on June 20, 2018 at 14:35
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our honeymoon is pretty darn close to our dream honeymoon. We had a lot of different ideas of where we could go. We decided on a 3 week vacation in Europe! Germany, Austria, Italy, and Switzerland!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would love to go to Italy for my honeymoon, but realistically it would be too expensive for my fiancé and I at the moment, and after the wedding, I'd prefer an all-inclusive trip.

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have loved to go to orlando, but since it is hurricane season come september, he is looking at other options.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not actually planning a honeymoon, my FH will be deployed and we may have an opportunity to go to Greece before the wedding so we may just do that instead. My dream honeymoon would be going back to Europe though.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm on board with everyone writing Bora Bora... I see pictures of those private cottages floating on the water and OH MAN I WOULD LOOOOOVE~ But some of them run over $2000.00 per night so that will be a big NOPE!

Honestly we are going on our in fall, anything warm with some water I'm happy!

We're thinking Hawaii but haven't gotten much into the planning of that yet as it will be way after our wedding!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My dream honeymoon is Bora Bora, and our actual honeymoon will be tropical but definitely not Bora Bora lol.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Right now we are attempting to work with a travel agent to plan a 2 week stay in Europe. Unfortunately we are waiting on hearing back from his friends who live in Germany and our wedding is 53 days away so not sure how this is going to work. Our places in Europe are France, Netherlands, Germany, Poland and I'm thinking now maybe Belgium as we have to take the train right through so whats a stop in Belgium for the day or 2. Smiley smile

• Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our dream is a 3-4 wks in Africa- safari and one of the island nations. However I have to save up $ (airfare is covered) and vacation days so that will be a year out. In case that never happens within a year or 2 we are taking a week and going to San Antonio and Austin right after. We wanted somewhere warm in Oct, within 3-4 hr flight of Van (which I tell ya ladies is close to nowhere), and somewhere neither of us had been-which is the big challenge. As long as we have a few days to be together away from it all I am happy

• C
    Curious June 2024 British Columbia
    Calla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Something is pushing me towards Brazil? South America is the only continent (minus Antarctica) that neither FH or I have been to which would be pretty cool. Now just need to convince him.. maybe I'll find a soccer game and tell him we can go to that haha.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t care how much I have to save for my Dream Honeymoon, I’m doing it . #YOLO
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd say we are pretty close to our dream honeymoon with Costa Rica. My dream destination is actually Bora Bora but there is no way in heck that we will ever be able to afford it.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Dream for us to have a honeymoon in Florida at the parks. Due to costs accumulated in all including passports, it's not feesable to go ahead.

Reality is going to Niagara Falls for the weekend and on our 1st anniversary since we didn't go away after the wedding.
  • Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine is pretty darn close. I've always dreamed of going to Greece and thanks to my amazing parents, my dream came true. And my FH just wants to travel the world with me so he's pretty set there too.

We're definitely doing things to satisfy both our hearts' desires on this trip, and we couldn't be happier.

• Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our dream honeymoon was somewhere tropical as well. We were originally planning on going somewhere like the Canary Islands... but when we started to look at our reality and how we need to do renovations on our home, we decided that all that mattered was we had a week away to enjoy being married . We decided to just rent a private cottage on the water. Something we both would love . Is it our dream honeymoon ? No. But we are still really happy and excited about our decision.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our dream honeymoon was Bora Bora but that is RIDICULOUSLY expensive!! We ended up in Bali for 2 weeks which was amazing and a place we both had wanted to visit for a long time!

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    BC is really beautiful! Are dream honeymoon is to go to Thailand for a week and the Philippines for week. We are taking our honeymoon in January, because we have a family vacation planned around the same time as our wedding. Hopefully you can go to Thahit on your anniversary. The Islands in BC are sooo beautiful you will love it! ❤️
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted to stay at the Tahiti resort in Disney for my honeymoon, but my FH axed that. We’re spending a few days in Mexico instead. That said, he said as soon as the Star Wars hotel opens, we’re there, so I guess a honey moon in space is a pretty good compromise for a future date.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m with you on the Tahiti honeymoon! That would be our dream but we’re going to Cancun instead. Our resort looks amazing so I’m very excited still!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would love to go to Ireland but it looks like if we have a honeymoon it will be somewhere tropical Smiley smile
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would have loved to travel in Europe, but the prospect of planning a wedding and a trip abroad the same year was too much stress. So we rented a cottage on a wooded domain in a beautiful region close to where we're getting married.
    And we will travel to Spain and Portugal next year instead.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Which island are you headed to?? Most of BCs islands are AMAZING.

We are literally doing our dream honeymoon! We figured it was our one chance to do some extended travelling so we are going big! Not sure how we both managed to convince our bosses to give us 8 WEEKS OFF but we did and we are going to go explore and backpack Europe for the whole time starting in Scotland, then Ireland, then probably Spain and Portugal for some beach days, and then probably Italy to finish it off Smiley smile Im so excited!!
  • Sheilah
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our dream honeymoon is Ireland. We have both ALWAYS wanted to go there, huge dream.

In reality - we aren't having a honeymoon. Just right back home and back to reality.
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I initially wanted to go somewhere hot and tropical with a beach. Because of work and government papers were just planning a mini moon then coming up with a honeymoon plan. Might go to New Zealand for that. They have summer when Canada has winter so it works out

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics