Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner August 2021 Ontario

Don't know what to do...

Devrie, on March 31, 2021 at 12:03 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
Good lord this year. (And last)

Ok so I have posted a few time on here but have another delema. Our postponed date from last year is Aug 26, 2021. We are booked at a venue in NS and they have said things are going as planned there, but if NS still requires a 2 week quarantine by July then we can postpone again or try to sell our date. Otherwise we have to pay the full fee if we cancel. But we just have to wait and see.
Our photographer just emailed to let me know there is another couple who's venue only had Aug 26 available for their pushed back date. And is wondering the likelihood of us still getting married on that day. We had previously emailed her letting her know that one of our 5 back up plans would be to just get married on a beach in NS on a random day, and she said no problem she can accommodate it.
My big question is, do I give up our date for this other couple to have our photographer, as it's doubtful we will be having our originally planned wedding at our venue. (But there is still a chance!) Or do I say no, we still want to have your booked on that day, and then potentially not even get married that date or in that province and then she is out business. She is my dream photographer.
Just not sure what to do, as everything is so unplannable 🙁

8 Comments

Latest activity by Devrie, on April 1, 2021 at 21:32
  • D
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Devrie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you everyone for your input.

The big problem is we don't know if we will even be able to get into NS this summer, so I don't want her to have to turn down work for a 50% chance of our wedding actually happening in the province. She has been fantastic with all the changes and has even said we can change dates and packages no problem.
    We have to work it out with our venue before her to really decide if we can let go of that date. But our venue won't let us make a decision until 8weeks before our date. And we are not postponing again.
    Thank you again everyone! You all have given me some stuff to think about.

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If she’s your dream photographer why don’t you keep her regardless and if the wedding isn't a go just have a day with her taking photos on the would be wedding day?If you think you might cancel on her last minute I would say let her go so she can have a chance at making money that day.It sucks but it’s not fair to hold her from work if you don’t think you will use her.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im so sorry, that’s a hard position to be in. Honestly, we only just started vaccinations out here in NS and they just approved the Atlantic Bubble again, so I can’t see them dropping the quarantine period for the rest of Canada anytime soon. Things might change if the vaccine rollouts produce quick results, but it is a gamble. If you still want to elope in NS, I know there’s elopement companies like East Coast Popup Weddings who’ve done a lot since covid, and they take care of practically everything. You could chat with them or someone like them, mention who your photographer is and come up with a backup plan so you can still have your date. Perhaps they’ll be able to provide you some answers. Good luck!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your dilemma has you stuck to know if you lose your dream photographer, you lose your deposit and paying full amount which doesn't make sense. You keep her and postpone the date, it wouldn't be bad and still know your secure. A list of pros and cons will have you see where your decision lies with the most aspect showing.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you cancel on her and she loses this job as a result, would you be okay with her jacking up the rate for a postponement?

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Amanda brings up a good point. This is a situation where your photographer should and probably will hold you to your deposit if you do end up cancelling. She has another prospective job that seems more of a sure thing and will turn it down if you say you still intend to hire her. This hasn't been the case throughout covid for obvious reasons so that's why most vendors are being so accommodating in returning deposits or moving dates with no penalty.

Basically what I'm saying is go ahead and say you'll keep her if that's what you want but be prepared to lose your deposit if you end up cancelling or postponing again.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Girl,
    If you think you will have it this year keep her 100% but also ask her what the penalty is IF you keep her and don't end up getting married that day, do you lose her for your next wedding date? Do you have to pay a fine? Or do you have to pay her regardless if you use her or not on that day? Just some things to consider... She has a potential "certain" job that day so make sure you won't be screwed if you decide to keep her and she refuses business.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As selfish as this may sound to some, if shes your dream photographer, do not give her up!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics