Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jonelle
Curious June 2022 Ontario

Dog sitting

Jonelle, on April 14, 2021 at 11:31 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

Hello!

So as I'm making all my wedding plans, it occurred to me that I have no idea what I'm supposed to do about my dog & cats!

We're getting married out of town and obviously my family will be attending our wedding - so I don't really have anyone to come stop in / stay with our furbabies... What's some advice / what did other people do for their weddings? Did they hire a babysitter or did they arrange to have pets stay at a kennel? If so, how much did that cost you? My dog in particular has extreme anxiety so I worry how much this is going to stress him out :/

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on April 18, 2021 at 10:35
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Someone you trust and not on the guest list can watch the dogs if they are comfortable in their home. Kennel/Resort is a place for pets to feel safe and around other dogs so they will have their space to move around. We had to leave our chihuahuas with the breeder since they are the same breed and get along with the others. It wasn't much for 2 days and they were happy to be with someone they knew.
  • Kaitlyn
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our pups are going to a pet resort. Our wedding isn't until the end of June but since one of our dogs is "a bit odd" we decided to go for a consultation this week for them to meet the owners etc. My dogs will be going for a half day "day care" scenario, then a full day so that when they go to stay over the weekend of our wedding they're used to going there and its no big deal.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Does your dog have a lot of crate experience? If not I would either start crate training now (in case you need to kennel them) or look into a sitter who you can introduce to your dog as soon as possible. Go for walks with that person and the dog, and if you have any plans to be away before the wedding have a test run with that person and the dog to make sure their comfortable.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would second Rover. I've used them just once, but would definitely use them again if the occasion called for it. What's great about Rover is that you can pick and choose who you want based on their profile, so you have some idea what the person is like. The woman I chose was great at giving me updates by texting me, so I had peace of mind the entire time I was away.
  • A
    Newbie May 2022 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I use Rover any time we need someone to watch our dogs. We've had absolutely no complaints with any of the sitters we've used from them.

• Abbie
    Devoted June 2022 Nova Scotia
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been contemplating the same thing! We also have my parents’ animals to consider so we’re looking at getting a pet-friendly air bnb and bringing them with us (we are about 1.5 hours from the venue). That way we can have them with us in a home environment (my cat grew up with my family’s pets so that’s not a concern for us)
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe ask your neighbors if they're able to watch them for a few days while you're gone

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We looked into getting a cat sitter to come over and check in on our boys when we were planning. It was something we did have to budget for and book in advance but I didn’t want to risk anything or stress my old guy out trying to move him anywhere. In the end someone offered to check in on them for us, but I wish I had paid for the sitter. They were fine for the 4 days we were away but I had no peace of mind while I was gone.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics